NGD (kind of) Schecter SLS c-7 Thorough Review

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by thelostfrost, Aug 5, 2012.

1. thelostfrost

thelostfrost SS.org Regular

First thread on the website!

Scale - 26.5. Because I've never played on a scale this long, and that this was my first seven, this took some getting used to. My fingers were super weak and the tension was noticeably higher than some of the other comparative ibanez models that I've played at the store. What I understood was that the extra inch allows for better flexibility when tuning down. I'm a big fan of deftones, chevelle, breaking benjamin, the acacia strain, etc and they all tune pretty low. I figured that I should just man up and build the finger strength. After about two weeks of practicing I now feel that it's worth it. Crazy lead work is still tough but the rhythm sounds are very beefy.

Fingerboard feels great, always liked ebony. Stays in tune very well. Action is low and very comfortable. With the blackouts, the overall sound of the guitar is fairly dark, but it's pretty much a rock/metal guitar, you won't get the shimmery bright cleans of a strat which is to be expected. That being said, the cleans are surprisingly good considering the ultra-high output of the blackouts. I often find myself toying around with the clean channel and some reverb, sounds very nice with both pickups engaged though I prefer the neck pickup for clean.
    Distortion sounds really great. I put on the ernie ball 8 string set strings w/o the 74, so it goes 10-13-17-30-42-54-64. The pickups are much warmer than emgs and that goes without saying. Response to pick attack is good, and paired with the bigger strings if you pick really hard the distortion sounds best for the rock/metal rhythm tones. Roll back the volume to about 6 or 7, and the distortion shines when doing quieter chords and note intervals. Still super responsive to pick attack so it will scream if you pick really hard but purr if you use some restraint w/ the pick.
    The neck is thin and the satin on the back of the neck is a great touch. The lack of sticky paint was definitely one of the selling points for me. When standing up, the guitar may be a tinyy bit neck heavy depending on how low you hold it but nothing like the ibanez models (xpt707, ict700). The body is slimmer than previous schecters but still dense enough for thick tones. It's fairly light, but don't compare it to those super-tiny jacksons or ibanez's, it is a 7 string and needs the wood for tone. They did a good job of keeping enough wood on the guitar to keep the tone thick while keeping it as sleek as possible.

I see many questions about "djent" tones on the boards and I have to say I really, really like the new periphery album. Try to keep in mind that so much of the tone is in the hands. From what I understand Misha uses a tiny little pick since he doesn't do a whole lot of alternate picking, so he has to really crank the sh*t out of the bottom four strings for those chugging parts. He also doesn't use super huge strings or tons of gain.

Pictures coming shortly, possibly some recorded parts if people really care. The guitar is what it is, fans of prog metal, deathcore, and just tuning low are undoubtedly going to like this guitar. :hbang:

2. myrtorp

myrtorp Jiggywiggy

HNGD!

I for sure wouldn't mind some recordings!

Enjoy your new guitar! I've been wanting to try one of those!

3. Panacea224

Panacea224 SS.org Regular

HNGD! I tried one of these out at the local guitar center and I liked it, especially the thin neck and body.

4. TheFashel12

TheFashel12 ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

does the satin finished neck become shiny/glossy and sticky after a while ?

5. GXPO

GXPO SS.org Regular

^All satin finishes will eventually.

HNGD dude. Any pics?

6. chubby-ol-gangster-core

chubby-ol-gangster-core SS.org Regular

despite how periphery says they don't use gain, they actually do, but not as much from the amp, as they use boost and a compressor patches in axe-fx, with a gate between them and after to keeo feedback controlled. but the tiny picks you mention misha using actually make economy picking easier as mish does use it along with accenting notes in poly rhythmic patterns. Also the chugs sound "djent" not from how hard you pick but from picking/muting further from the bridge.

7. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

8. Dizz

Dizz SS.org Regular

I've been giving serious consideration to getting one of these (or an Ibanez RGD2127 / 7421), but don't care too much for the Duncan Blackouts. Anyone have suggestions for passives that will drop-in replace those?

9. thelostfrost

I didn't say they don't use gain, I said he doesn't use tons of gain. He still uses high gain heads, or used to before the axe fx.

10. thelostfrost

They have the exact same model with passive pickups. I personally love seymour duncans. Many people using sevens have been using the john petrucci designed dimarzio crunchlab and liquifire set. The set in the other guitar is a sd fullshred and jazz.

11. Dizz

Dizz SS.org Regular

Thanks man. I don't hate the Duncans or anything, I'd just prefer something else if anything exists that can replace 'em in that guitar without routing or anything. Oh, and the passives model is cool, but I was hoping/wanting to avoid pickup rings. I like the direct mount approach aesthetically.

12. thelostfrost

Okay douche here you go

Attached Files:

13. MaxOfMetal

:rolleyes:

Just poking a little fun, no need to get so bent out of shape. :fawk:

14. no_dice

no_dice a very bad old bear

Haha, perhaps insulting the mods (or anyone really) isn't the best way to establish yourself around here. :lol:

For real, though, that is a sweet looking guitar. If it had dot inlays and a bit longer scale, I'd be all over one of those. HNGD!

15. mcd

mcd stuff and thangs

nice axe HNGD, that color is sick

16. Forrest_H

Forrest_H How can she slap?

I was thinking the same thing :lol:

Beautiful guitar, love Schecter.

17. Dizz

Dizz SS.org Regular

What's the weight of this guitar?

18. thelostfrost

I appreciate that the post has had some decent traffic.

The idea of a "thorough" review means putting some time and some thought into the thread, and giving people who are seriously considering the guitar a better idea of what it entails. Some of the people who make posts or reviews - LOLZ SOUNDZ GRAET! I LUV THIS GUITAR AND ESPESHIALLY KORN doesn't seem to do any good for anyone with half a brain. I know when I was younger and didn't know what I do today about guitars, the lack of specificity was always frustrating. Therefore, saying my thread is useless is douchey.

By the way - what does "establishing" oneself on a guitar forum hold? I mean we're all guitarists but this isn't a job network, what, I have to be nice or face the wrath of a bunch of chubby men furiously condemning my words on a keyboard?

19. MaxOfMetal

Without proof of ownership, as in pics, for all we know you're talking out of your ass. Believe it or not, some people aren't honest on the internet. Crazy right? :lol:

You said pics were coming and I called you on it. Not a big deal, though I guess it is a big enough of a deal for you to start name calling over my perceived devaluing of the amazing two paragraphs you so blessed this forum with.

This is a community, and it's nice when everyone can be chill and not so ready to hurl insults left and right. You're new here and whether you care or not, I'm guessing "not" after that last sentence :lol:, no one knows if you're a dick or not. Just like the real world, being a dick here isn't appreciated.

No one has "condemned" you. Chill out bud.

Purelojik likes this.
  20. kamello

kamello DESU METARU!

Im in the same Doubt

MAAAAAAAAAAAAAX, HELP! :scream:

If I bought a 7421, I would have to spend a bit on pickups, and probably repaint it, I fucking hate plain black :lol:

and the Shecter is playable right-out the box (altough I would take the Passive version), but quality-wise how do they compare?

sorry for the Off Topic, but HNGD, the guitars looks sick, and is Blue, Blue and Purple guitars are always better. :squint:
    also, take it easy dude, no one is angry with you ;)