NGD - Kiesel Vader 'Scarif'

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by Petie, Jul 16, 2017.

1. Petie

Petie SS.org Regular

[​IMG]

Meet my Kiesel Vader V7! I named her Scarif because her colours remind me of the planet from Rogue One. Hehe. It sounds great, the playability is incredible, the sustain is beyond ridiculous and I could stare at it for hours.

Every element of this guitar was selected for a particular reason related to synesthesia. I’ve written about this before, including this article for Guitar World. Essentially synesthesia is a condition where a sensory input will set off other sensory ‘resonances.’ For instance, the number ‘2’ is blue to me, and always has been. It tastes kind of creamy and is very smooth to the touch. My brain has just always thought of it this way, and ditto for the other numbers, letters, shapes. It can happen with anything: particular speaking voices remind me of certain times of day. Certain guitar tones can generate really specific and complex chains of association that might incorporate texture, perception of size, levels of luminance, and so on. I’ve never done mushrooms cos I probably don’t need to. My brain is psychedelic enough on its own. That’s why I dig sensory deprivation tanks.

But back to the guitar: each of my specifications were based on specific things I wanted this guitar to be for. Things I wanted to play on it, sounds I wanted it to make, feelings I wanted it to generate or represent.

* Colour. This particular Aqua Burst reminds me of a shade of blue I often see in my dreams. I have a recurring dream of a futuristic city rising out of the ocean on the horizon, and it’s always an exciting place to visit. I wanted this guitar to embody that same sense of freedom and joy I have in those dreams. That’s also why I selected a flame maple top: to give the feel of waves in the ocean.
    * Fingerboard. I always feel musically influenced by the colour of a fretboard. I feel like I play more ‘sunny’ on maple, and more ‘dark’ on rosewood. I chose Zebrawood because its mix of light and dark colours will (hopefully) encourage my subconscious to blend those two approaches.
    * Neck. This is a 5-piece Black Limba/White Limba neck-thru. I wanted something that had more of a natural, ‘this used to be a tree’ look, and the particular colour of Black Limba reminds me of tree bark. This is a pretty futuristic-looking guitar so I wanted to balance that with something a bit more earthy.
    * Body. The body is Alder, and I chose a natural finish because, again, I just wanted to offset the futuristicness of the design. And the almost desert-like colour balances really nicely against the Aquaburst top. It kinda makes the guitar look like Scarif from Rogue One: A Star Wars Story.
    * Satin finish. I didn’t want this one to be shiny: sometimes it feels like a glossy finish is a barrier between me and the guitar.
    * Pickups. This guitar as shipped has Kiesel Lithium pickups, but I’ll be installing my Seymour Duncan Custom Shop model, the Magnetar, soon. The bridge Lithium has an Alnico V plus ceramic booster, and a DC Resistance of 13.16k, and the neck model is Alnico V with a reading of 7.78k. The Magnetar is a pickup that MJ created for me when I asked her for ‘A pickup that sounds like the look of sunshine through a glass of beer, the feel of freshly-sanded wood and the taste of creme brûlée. It has an Alnico 8 magnet and it sounds both woody and airy, with a nice kick in the upper mids. Not too hot, not too gentle. This guitar will also have the first neck version of the Magnetar, and I’m going for a Zebra look for the same reason as choosing a Zebrawood fingerboard.
    * Logo. I went with a white logo with black shadow because it stands out nicely and I wanted to proudly display the Kiesel name. Also another Zebra/light-dark balance thing.
    * Seven strings. You can get a Vader in 6, 7 or 8 strings in standard or baritone scale or multiscale. I selected 25.5″ 7-string because 7 feels right to me, and I tend to be most comfortable on 25.5″ 7-strings rather than longer scales because I like to think of the 7 as a 6-string with a few extra notes when I need them, rather than orienting the whole guitar design towards those lower few notes. And I went with standard instead of multiscale because my multiscale heart belongs to Ormsby Guitars. Heh.
    * Tremolo. Because whammy bars is fun.

Obligatory "Jeff's Arm" shot.

[​IMG]

2. narad

narad SS.org Regular

Did you just assume its gender?

3. xCaptainx

xCaptainx Dr Djodson

Hey great to see you on here also (Ross from twitter!)

Saw the picture and went 'hey! I know that guitar!' haha.

Description of the guitar is awesome man. That's very cool.

4. Petie

Petie SS.org Regular

Nah, she showed me.

Kevcarnage likes this.
  5. Dumple Stilzkin

Dumple Stilzkin Special needs member

Very neat looking, and a great description to boot! What do you think about the tremolo system so far?

6. trem licking

trem licking SS.org Regular

I also wonder how you like the trem system vs a floyd rose... if you wouldn't mind checking, how high can you pull up the trem note-wise using the G string?

7. Petie

Petie SS.org Regular

It gets up to an A# on the G string. As set up at the factory it feels a little stiffer than a typical Floyd: you have to use a tiny bit more pressure to do dive bombs, but I'm sure that's an easy adjustment. But it flutters like nobody's business and stays in tune very well.

trem licking likes this.
  8. Skouija

Skouija SS.org Regular

HNGD, I love it man! The amount of thought put into your build is quite impressive as well, and a very cool way to go about designing a guitar.

9. Kevcarnage

Kevcarnage SS.org Regular

Nice guitar! I love the fret board! You have an amazing imagination, and i love how you're bringing your thoughts to life into the guitar. Very inspiring! On another note, You sound like you'd provide a really fun time on shrooms. Have you ever babysat anyone who was doing them lol?

10. Kevcarnage

Kevcarnage SS.org Regular

Also i never heard of zebrawood. Would you compare the feel to any other type?

11. Brodolio

Brodolio SS.org Regular

Beautiful! The colors combination is my favorite..
    Well done!

12. Petie

Petie SS.org Regular

Thanks! My custom Duncans arrived this week so I just installed them. Had to swap the baseplates for the Kiesel ones so the pickups would fit, but that's a relatively easy job. It now really feels complete, and it sounds incredible. The neck pickup reminds me of a Sentient but with a little more output and more harmonic overtones. And its coil-split sound is extremely Stratty.

DFGLkHuUMAAHrey.jpg-large.jpeg

movingpictures likes this.