NGD - Kiesel DCM7, Multiscale Sevenstring

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by BLD, Nov 3, 2018.

1. BLD

BLD Fast Is Fun!

Hi Everyone,

My new guitar showed up today (two weeks early) and I couldn't be more impressed overall. It's a simple build and not too many custom looking options, just the stuff I wanted. I ordered a mahogany body, with 1 piece maple neck and ebony fret board. I sprung for the beveled body edges, and reverse head stock and a tung oiled neck (feels amazing). I know it's kind of boring with what they have available as far as options, but it's exactly what I wanted. A simple, solid 7-string that looks as dark as the music I'm working on, and punches harder than a sack of doorknobs. The gloss black paint job is amazing and so deep and clear (sorry dude who's tired of black 7s, I only have colorful 7s lol). In fact, I have a bunch of wood grain guitars with trans finishes so I thought it would be cool to do something all black... I also prefer the way the 1-piece maple neck looks. I know a lot of people like the 3 and 5 piece necks with different color woods, but I really like the way a single piece of wood looks with attractive grain. Not sure what sounds better, but with the carbon fiber rods, and the standard neck profile this thing is sturdy!

That brings us to the weight. Being a mahogany body, it is fairly heavy, which I like. I'm pretty big and actually prefer the heft of my Les Paul over the light weight and slim feel of the old Ibanez Prestige 10th Anniversary I used to have, all the way down to the baseball bat of a neck on my LP... Combine the weight with the beefy neck, and the quality feeling hardware, and my Kiesel feels very robust and solid. It also sounds robust, and sustains for ever!!!

I know some people have expressed some distaste for the Kiesel Lithium pickups. Aside from having to re-adjust my amp settings a little, I actually like them. The bottom end is powerful and not muddy to my ears. The pickups seem articulate without a lot of attack noise (great to get more tone and less scratching at faster picking speeds). Like I mentioned the sustain blew me away, and is far superior to my LP (my current standard for great sustain). I have also noticed much more clarity when playing large complicated chordy stuff. The guitar keeps it's full sound, yet I can hear the different notes ringing out, which neither of my other two 7s do very well... This is also the first guitar I like the sound of the neck pickup for heavy rhythms. Usually they always sound too muddy and gritty when driven hard, but the lithium neck pup on mine has great tone that I will be using for many sections on some songs I'm working on. I don't have a ton of experience with high end pickups, but I am inspired to get some better pups for my other 7s now. Maybe some Fishmans for 1 and a set of Nazgul / Sentient fore the other...

I should add that this is the first guitar I have ever purchased without playing first. It's also the first multi-scale guitar I've ever played, and the only guitar I have ever played with stainless frets, not to mention jumbo frets. I've also never played a tung oiled neck before, and this feels exactly how I had hoped. I have to say I like the way it feels in my hands. I feel like I can really dig into this guitar, but am also rewarded when I play it lightly.... great combination!

Overall I'm very happy with my Kiesel. The construction looks top notch, the high gloss black is deep and amazing looking, I love the sound, and it just feels solid and inspiring when I play it. It has taken very little adjustment to play on a multi scale and the string tension on the low string is perfect between the C, B and Drop A turnings I prefer. I totally went out on a limb ordering this guitar sight unseen (especially with some of the the horror stories I found after ordering...) and was rewarded heavily! I gotta go now because I have an album worth of songs I want to record now that I have the perfect tool!

Sorry, the pics I took are too large to post, so I loaded them to G-drive, and have shared a link below (can't figure out how to post the pics from the drive in this thread...).

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Xp_xXfeBOTrYUL25nFL0v8E1h_1O317V

Last edited: Nov 3, 2018
  2. bracky

bracky Contributor

We have the same initials. :D

BLD likes this.
  3. Zhysick

Zhysick Sick of all

Classy. Like it. Enjoy!!

4. cardinal

cardinal Strat 7 Guy

Looks awesome. Glad you dig it!

5. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Looks sleek and sexy. Love it.

Enjoy dude!

6. crankyrayhanky

crankyrayhanky SS.org Regular

Dig it!
    Simple specs on Kiesel seem to yield happier people
    It’s so easy to get excited and turn it into clown axe

Curious why did you choose bevel DC > AM7?

7. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

That looks fantastic man. Black with black hardware always looks classic. Willing to bet your play time/forum time ratio is about to increase, lol.

BLD likes this.
  8. BLD

BLD Fast Is Fun!

The biggest reason is that I really wanted a neck-thru instead of a bolt on neck. I’ve always like the way they look and feel, and growing up I always wanted a neck-thru Jackson w/ reverse headstock, instead of my bolt on Ibanez... I also don’t like the sharp body line that goes through the arm relief cut (whatever you call that...). The replacement body I bought for my MIJ Ibanez RG7420 had that same line and it was not comfortable for me to play. Since it was an unfinished replacement body, I prompltly sanded down the line until it matched the natural curve of the original RG body. I figured in order to reduce the chance of me returing this guitar, I would order a shape and style I know I enjoy. I like the RG shape and style and thought the beveled edges would give it a bit more class. Not to mention the BV feels good to play!

crankyrayhanky likes this.
  9. Cheap

Cheap .....ite

I feel like I see way too many satin Kiesels here. The gloss black makes this thing look like a killer piano—very much into it. HNGD!

10. BLD

BLD Fast Is Fun!

Funny you mention that. I almost went with a satin finish, and am glad I didn’t. A hasty gloss black paint job usually looks like crap to me, this one tho, they hit it out of the park!

11. Taikatatti

Taikatatti SS.org Regular

Classy and clean AF. HNGD!

12. noise in my mind

noise in my mind SS.org Regular

If I got a fanned 7 from kiesel this is exactly how I would spec it.

13. BLD

BLD Fast Is Fun!

Thanks everyone!

Just got great news, my buddy I’m working on this project with just ordered a Vader Multiscale 7! Now we have a few more weeks to practice and write before it’s time to record lol! This should be awesome since his has some different options, and may sound a little different. Good stuff on the horizon!