NGD Kevazingo + Zebrawood content

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by Evil Weasel, Jul 21, 2012.

1. Evil Weasel

Evil Weasel SS.org Regular

Some of you may have been following my thread in the luthiery forum asking about wood and pickup choices. Well the guitar is finally in my hands! It was love at first sight. Why waste time writing when I know what you all want!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The key info:

Chambered mahogany body
    Kevazingo top
    3 pc Wenge neck - 25.5"
    Zebrawood fretboard
    Bareknuckle aftermath + trilogy suite.

Only arrived a couple of hours ago so not had a chance to play it much but I love it so far. The neck is every bit as sleek as I had hoped.

I did ask and pay for a coil tap on the volume pot for the aftermath which isn't there though so going to fire off an email to luthier and ask. That is my only gripe with the guitar but he was so busy wouldn't be be massively anguished if it just slipped his mind or perhaps it just wasn't possible (top too thin for a push pull perhaps? Just speculating).

It also fits in nicely with my main 7 string!

[​IMG]

2. WillDfx

WillDfx SS.org Regular

Holy Hell

3. jon66

jon66 SS Contributor

Looks awesome man! :hbang:

If you tossed a Charvel Primer Scream, an Ormsby, a Blackmachine and an Ibanez RG into a Blendtec blender, this is the delicious milkshake that would come out. And I'd happily lick up every last drop!

4. Ayo7e

Ayo7e ralugeR gro.ss

Looks awesome but who is the builder?

5. IbanezDaemon

IbanezDaemon Raptus regaliter

Seriously cool guitar, that fretboard looks fantastic!! :yesway:

6. jake7doyle

jake7doyle SS.org Regular

bodys nice, fretboard and headstock are incredible!!! HNGD

7. EOT

EOT I pull over 500 lbs.

Very nice! The fretboard looks similar to goncalo alves.

8. BucketheadRules

BucketheadRules Fuzz pedal hoarder

9. Levi79

Levi79 SS.org Regular

That came out pretty awesome!

10. ForThisGift

ForThisGift SS.org Regular

Looks awesome. When you use exotic woods, they need compliment each other and on this guitar they all do.

Congrats.

11. Nagash

Nagash doesn't like things

looks like BM had secks with Ibanez and I love that fretboard and pickup combo ! HNGD !

12. Evil Weasel

That is exactly what I was going for! Taking my favourite part of both guitars and trying to make something of a 'dream' instrument out of them. I asked for the same neck profile as a prestige super wizard neck and if anything, it feels a tiny bit slimmer than that. With the thin profile and unfinished wenge it is a very fast neck and playing almost feels effortless. Plenty of people dislike that but it suits me down to the ground.

As for the headstock cutaway which reveals the wenge, I basically saw a Vik Duality and thought 'ooh that looks nice' so tried to come up with a design that was a similar idea but something that would hopefully be a bit unique and it turned out better than I imagined. He has sanded the zebrawood so it is a smooth dip into the wenge more like a contour than a harsh edge if that makes any sense?

13. Blasphemer

Blasphemer Bird Law expert

I want that! Oh, man, that is sa-weet!

14. simonXsludge

simonXsludge (((Ω)))

What is that top?

15. TRENCHLORD

TRENCHLORD Banned

Beautiful guitar.

16. Empryrean

Empryrean Undecided forever

Very nice guitar, I like..

no

I'm really, seriously. HONESTLY AM SICK of all these BM looking things that other builders are doing. I mean, friggin c'mon, where the hell is the CREATIVITY anymore?

This is turning into a bandwagon :(

/rant.

I wont deny that I like the wood combinations though, very pretty use of Zebrawood. :yesway:

Dead Undead likes this.
  17. Evil Weasel

It is burr Wych Elm
    The bandwagon started 60 years ago with the Fender Stratocaster and everyone has been ripping it off since with the super strat shape. Surely the dearth of creativity has existed since then? The fact is the classic shapes look good and people want to buy them! The BM design incorporates a few things that have been done before by other people, IMO there is nothing wildly original about it but it is a very elegant and beautiful interpretation of the super strat. Plus as you can see I deliberately made it look totally different from the neck joint upwards. Finally the luthier who made this for me has his own designs and plans to launch his own range later (is still sorting details out etc) and is only doing these so he can afford to eat and other sinful things like that. I plan to get another from him later with one of his own designs, but this guitar for me served a very specific desire that I wanted, and I think he made it into something that as a complete guitar is pretty unique and not a straight copy of anything.

18. Danukenator

Danukenator Kane's Bane

You'd think with an argument about the ethics of copying a design already raging in another thread, it wouldn't crop up here. IMO, we need a thread, dedicated to the issue so people can get it out of their systems.

That thing is beautiful. I was just about to comment in another thread how much I love H-S guitars, but I think I'll mention it here.

19. Mysticlamp

Mysticlamp Ripplesprint

link to build thread, i'm horrible at searching

20. canuck brian

canuck brian Bowes Guitars

With regards to the coil tap push/pull - if the shortest one I've been able to find requires over an inch of cavity depth which is usually too much for guitars that are this thin.

(i have this problem on mine too.)