NGD: Jackson SLAT3-7

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by groverj3, May 1, 2018.

1. groverj3

groverj3 Biologist/Guitarist

Hello Forumites,

It's been a while since my last NGD. However, I saw this on reverb and wasn't going to pass it up for $550, shipped. I am not thrilled by black guitars with EMGs, but if I like it I'll get it refinished. If I don't, I can easily make my money back. Win-win, right?

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

FedEx did a number on the box. However, since it came with a case it was still fine. The guys at Capitol Guitars in Minneapolis packed it well for the long journey to Tucson, AZ.

This is my first 7-string and 6th Jackson. For some reason, I always end up getting more of them, my non-Jacksons have always ended up getting traded/sold for another Jackson.

Initial impressions:
    Finish: Blah. It's black. Some small paint chips, but nothing that worries me. Probably why I got a deal on it.
    Fretwork: Pretty good. No rough ends, but it just got here. Give it a while to shrink up in this dry climate. However, no need for a level/crown job.
    Setup out of the box: A complete joke. Action was about 1/4" off the fretboard at the 24th fret. Luckily the neck was pretty straight and this was as easy to fix as screwing down the trem posts to a reasonable depth. The strings were corroded, etc. However, I figure every new/new to me guitar's going to require at least a little work.
    Pickups: 81-7 bridge, 707 neck. They sound like 81s and 85s, because that's what they are.

I had literally never played a seven string before this, despite being a member here for years. I found it surprisingly easy to get used to. The only weirdness is playing things I'm used to being on the lowest string, which are obviously no longer on the lowest string. However, I'm sure it'll come around in time. If I decide to keep it (I'll know more after a full setup, but all signs point to yes) I may decide to have it refinished because a man only needs one black guitar with EMGs. After fixing the action it plays great, as well as my other MIJ Jacksons! It's too bad the MIJ era is over for the brand, but great deals can be had on the used market!

In summary I'm quite happy with it. I'm especially happy I found a later model one. The early models had even larger headstocks (bass headstocks) and no binding. I really wanted a natural finished one, or green swirl. However, refinishing is still on the table! A great guitar and definitely better than the prices they command on the used market!

Short of refinishing I'll take suggestions on how to make it look as nice as it plays!

Pics are kind of potato quality, but you get the idea.

2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Congrats!

I've had two of these over the years and they're awesome. I wanted to love them, as they're probably the last truly great production Jackson 7-string that's not a $3k+ signature model or that doofy "B shape", but I just never bonded with them as much as I had hoped.

Way to go on the price, $550 is a steal! I played almost twice that. Two times!

By the way, I really recommend the 18v mod, really opened up both stock ones I had.

groverj3 and feraledge like this.
  3. groverj3

I hear you there. I don't know why they only recently started offering more 7s. The Indo stuff has great specs on paper, but my experience a few years back was lackluster. Maybe the MIM DK7s are good? They don't seem to be a "value" though, at least not unless the used market gets flooded (as happened to MIJ Jacksons until recently).

I almost feel like the store thought it was one of the newer X-series SLATs and priced it as one. However, it was listed as an MIJ SLAT3-7 so who knows? At this price it'd be easy to flip for cost or a little profit. Though, I'm pretty sure I'm keeping it.

The fretboard has darkened up nicely after some lemon oil, too. 18V mod may be the way to go. Or perhaps a set of 57-7 and 66-7s. Because of the soapbar routes I'm a little limited on pickups, but Duncan and Bareknuckle make ones that will fit, so who knows. I may be the first owner of an orange sparkle SLAT3-7 with BKPs :lol:

Mullet and Edika like this.
  4. feraledge

feraledge Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?

Woah, congrats!! SLAT3-7 for $550? That is nuts.
    REFINISH IT SEAFOAM OR SONIC BLUE.
    Normally I'd say give it a bit, the black will grow on you. However, those chips would probably get to me. If refinishing is an option, I'd go for it. Crackle, swirl... All great ways to go. Good chance to strip the back of the neck too IMO. These looked great in Eerie Dess. Go crazy.

Mathemagician and groverj3 like this.
  5. feraledge

YES!!

It's a universal affliction that guitar shops can't keep their Jackson's straight. Sometimes it really works to your benefit, this being the case in point. I got a Sam Ash SL2H arch top from GC for $600 used once because they couldn't figure it out.

groverj3 likes this.
  6. groverj3

Strange thing: because the trem route is so rounded at the front corners, screwing the trem down for better action and to put it level with the top of the body (rather than significantly above it) ended up chipping the corner of the route with the corner of the floyd. I don't really care, especially if the body is going to be stripped eventually anyway. Just kind of odd. It's barely noticeable and complaining about it is exactly the kind of SSO nitpickery that I like to laugh at, myself. However, I was surprised.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 2, 2018
  7. groverj3

I normally don't like to talk about money in posts like this, since I think it's kind of tacky to say "I spent a million dollars on this crazy custom guitar that most of you plebes can't afford!" However, in this case the deal was insane and worthy of mention.

That's an even more ridiculous deal :lol:. SL2H for $600. Yes please!

8. feraledge

I definitely get that, especially when you're going into this with the expectation that the color and number of strings might not jive!
    It was a solid deal, but not amazing. The Sam Ash "SL2H" arch tops were really great guitars, but not made in Japan. Really along the SLAT lines, but with a toggle over a blade. Not that I'm complaining, my love for Horizons is no secret and it ticked a lot of those boxes! But it wasn't like a US SL2H for $600.

9. groverj3

Oh gotcha. I remember those, vaguely. I didn't read the "Sam Ash" part, haha. Still a good deal!

10. groverj3

After last night's setup with some fresh strings this is definitely a keeper. I put some D'addario 10-59s on it. No idea if that's the best gauge for me playing in B standard, as a 7 string neophyte. It plays almost as well as my USA Select SL2H! The Chushin Gakki factory strikes again! Maybe one day the Indonesian-made pro series will catch up. Luckily the fretboard is nearly black after hitting it with some lemon oil. Few things make me more sad than a dry, rust-colored, rosewood fretboard on an otherwise very nice instrument.

I was quoted over $900 and a 2-3 month turnaround by the only shop in Phoenix I could find that does refinishes to just get a metallic color. I couldn't find anyone more local than that. Meanwhile, Marty Bell emailed me back and quoted me $550 and 10 days (!) for his more expensive sparkle finishes. That involves shipping it again, but his work is seemingly very consistent and well-regarded. I'll probably play it as-is for a while anyway. A refinish seems like a good opportunity to relocate the volume knob to the tone pot's position and fill the old volume pot's hole (I usually move the volume on my Jacksons).

This might warrant a thread in itself, but if anyone knows of a shop in AZ that does quality refinish work I'd be interested in hearing about it. Or perhaps someone (anywhere) who does good swirls.

11. oracles

oracles Australian in Canada

The only reputable guys left doing swirls that I know of is Seth Hollander/Sethmetal Guitars, and Ron Thorn both in California, but they are NOT cheap. I also don't know if they'll do a neckthru swirl, you'd have to ask.

12. luislais

luislais nothing ever happens

Congrats man! Looks really awesome!

13. MASS DEFECT

MASS DEFECT SS.ORG Infiltrator

Does the $550 include the headstock to match?

14. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

Go to 10-64 for B standard. Slam that low string. But still bends great on the high.

groverj3 likes this.
  15. groverj3

Yes indeed!

16. groverj3

Is it possible to fit that into floyd saddles? I'm not sure what the max is there :lol:

I'll have to try out some different string gauges. I've never been one for the "light top heavy bottom" sort of thing though. 10-46 in Standard, 11-49 in D, 12-56 in C are my usuals.

17. MASS DEFECT

MASS DEFECT SS.ORG Infiltrator

Wow. They would re-do the logo decal?

18. groverj3

Marty said that he would if he could find one. I googled Jackson waterslide decals and there are plenty around. The logo on this guitar is larger than usual though, since it's got a larger headstock. However, there was someone on Etsy who said they make them to whatever dimensions you want. Marty charges for disassembly and whatnot, but that's a non-issue for me. I'd just send it disassembled myself.

There was a member here who had an Ibanez refinished in orange sparkle and it was killer. Several other members have praised his work as well.

MASS DEFECT and Mathemagician like this.
  19. eaeolian

eaeolian Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore! Super Moderator

Congrats! Killer price on a great guitar. I could never really bond with my green swirl because of the recessed trem, but man did it play great. These are extremely well made.

20. btbg

btbg SS.org Regular

These can be had for amazing prices. Right before Christmas I paid $400 Canadian for mine :lol: