NGD I've fallen to the dark side...

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by Edika, Aug 6, 2012.

1. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

I know most of you came for the pictures but bear with me for a bit or skip the back story to the photos below. In general I have considered Ibanez guitars (yes it's an Ibanez) overpriced for what they offer and aesthetically really blunt. They have some sexy curves but the colors they use make them look cheap and not in a good way (like the new flashy premium guitars). When I first came to Montpellier 4 years ago I tried to scope out the music stores that were easily accessible and in one of the central ones I saw this guitar. It was very beautiful but the price tag didn't agree with me. I had recently purchased an expensive instrument (for Europe) and was not in the mindset of buying a new expensive instrument. Plus you know, bolt on, rosewood fretboard and pickups could have been better. I couldn't buy the hype for the neck profile. Truth be told I never actually tried one so I head my head up my ass about this. Pretty much I had written Ibanez off.
    The good folk in ss.org, aside from creating major gas with their threads, have started to clear some misconceptions concerning woods, neck joint styles and pickups (I thank you for that) but still the price tag of the instrument was way to high. I happen to pass by the shop in the beginning of July where I saw a very steep cut in price (it was the summer sales period). I asked to try the guitar out of curiosity and was literally blown away. It was hanging in the wall for 4 years (probably more) with the factory strings and it kicked MAJOR BUTT. This was a mistake since I knew I must have this guitar. After a discussion with my better half she caved in when I promised to sell some stuff first and not blow more money. I had half decided to sell my halfstack and buy something smaller as well as my BC Rich jrV deluxe since I wasn't into the V shape that much finally. The sales would last until 31st of July and then it would go to normal price. Long story short I managed to sell my Mesa Triple Rec head, put some cash on top and got me this beauty:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So it's an Ibanez RG20063 puzzle top guitar. It has a two piece mahogany body, the top is made by AAA flame maple and ovangol pieces, the neck is 5 piece maple walnut with a gorgeous rosewood fingerboard and jumbo frets, it has an Edge Pro tremolo, Dimarzio/Ibz pickups and Gotoh tuners. It has a 5 way switch which must put the pups in single coil mode (I think) and has an oil finish. As you can guess the guitar needed some cleaning after so many years on the wall so:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After cleaning the frets and oiling the fretboard:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and with new strings on:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Back shots:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

With better lighting and more untidiness:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

At some points I'll get better shots and more artistic but for the time being I prefer to just play it. It's so smooth I am stunned. I tried it in the shop I bought it since I knew I wouldn't have an amp and I was amazed by the pups. I plugged it to my laptop after I cleaned it and changed strings and tried the patches I had created. The pups are very very good. I found information that these were made specifically for this model and closest market models are the super distortion for the bridge and the Steve Morse for the neck. I tried to play afterwards my DC747 which I consider a very easy to play guitar and my hand wouldn't move. One mishap was that somebody had stolen the whammy bar, but the guys at the store told me that they would order a replacement with no charge of course.

I have a couple of questions for you guys. One what should I use to clean/protect the oil finish. Some people suggest additional layers of oil after some time and then buffing with a cloth, while a couple have suggested a wax finish to better protect the wood. I don't want this guitar to be a case queen but I want to protect it as much as possible.

Second I changed the strings to a D'addario regular/light set (9-46) from a light set (9-42) of an unidentified set and I had to turn the screws for the strings quite a lot to bring it level (it was level with the previous set). Most Floyds can be setup with two springs with a 9 set, but with three springs I found I had to put a lot more tension in comparison to the previous set. What I did wrong is that I removed all strings but didn't have something to block the tremolo. So I had to use the strings to raise the tremolo and I am afraid I might have damaged the springs. Maybe it's normal but I didn't expect that much difference in tension for such a small difference in gauge. The case also didn't have any extra springs so I don't know if this is normal or if there should be two more springs.

Anyway thanks for looking! I am in love with this instrument. It's just screams quality and it sounds/plays awesome! So Ibanez I take back all the negative comments I might have made about the guitars you make (at least the prestige models)!

2. Philip N

Philip N SS.org Regular

Now that's a tasty guitar! Reminds of the one the guy from See You Next Tuesday used to play/own.

philip

3. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

A member here used to have one Adam of Angels. The good thing is that it's not only looks but it plays awesome!

4. GTailly

GTailly Intellect's Minion

Looks classy in its own way. I like it. :)
    Enjoy the guitar mate. :cheers:

5. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

Thanks man :)

6. peagull

peagull Urwało mi dupę

I understand your point about this forum and Ibanez guitars. I'd always disliked em, but seeing so many fine examples on this site has made me reconsider that unjust dislike I had for them.

And that is a super cool guitar you have scored. HNGD

7. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

Holy cow.

8. HighGain510

HighGain510 Contributor

Love the puzzle piece series, they were killer guitars! Played one of the red ones a while back, but it was close to when they first came out so the price was still REALLY high! :lol: Definitely more reasonable on the used market. Congrats man! :yesway:

9. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

Thank you guys! The price it had originally was the suggested retail price translated in Euros which was 2300. I wouldn't pay that much since I wouldn't be able to afford it. The sale price they had was very reasonable and thus this baby came back with me :)!

I am actually considering selling my Carvin DC747 alongside the other stuff I've put for sale. This is how impressed I am with this instrument!

10. BucketheadRules

BucketheadRules Fuzz pedal hoarder

This adequately expresses my feelings towards that guitar.

11. engage757

engage757 Banned

I had one of each of the Puzzle guitars. FUCKING AMAZING instruments! Congrats!

12. Jack Secret

Jack Secret Carvin Afficianado

Ah, the old Ibanez puzzle. I bought one at the Guitar Asylum in Miller Park, NY years ago. Wasn't a bad guitar, honestly.

13. Adam Of Angels

Adam Of Angels The GAS Man Contributor

I've had three of those, and they are awesome guitars. Just make sure you baby it very well, because that oil finish doesn't protect the wood in any way. Also, some really wide-open pickups will turn that thing into a tone machine.

14. MFB

MFB ExBendable

Damn those puzzle tops are as sweet as I remember them being :yum:

15. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

very cool!

16. SkullCrusher

SkullCrusher SS.org Regular

WOW thats nice. BTW I love Montpellier!!!!

17. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

^If you visit Montpellier sent me a pm :)

18. rifftrauma

rifftrauma Trapped in time...

Grats dude, glad you enjoy it, welcome to the dark side!

19. IbanezDaemon

IbanezDaemon Raptus regaliter

Fantastic, that is super cool. Love it!!!!

20. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

I remember when I was looking about information for these guitars that I saw the for sale threads lol! I plan to baby it as I do all my guitars but if you have any advice as to what to use to preserve the body and back of neck I would be grateful.
    For the time being I like the pups on this one a lot. It will be some time before I think of swapping them. But what kind of pups did you have in mind or have tried with these?