NGD: Impulse Buying is my worst trait

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by Frostbite, Mar 6, 2018.

1. Frostbite

Frostbite Periphery Shill

Pics first cause that's why you're all really here
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Now for the bullshit.

I sold my Ibanez RG520QS because it was gonna take more and time then I wanted to put into it to get it where I wanted it to be and the trem had issues staying in tune. After selling it, I knew I wanted another guitar with a trem but didn't want to spend a tone of money. Searching Reverb I found this. It's a 2015 Schecter Banshee FR that was exclusive to Drum City Guitar Land. AFAIK there were only 4 of these made in this finish. Specs are down below.

Alder Body
    5 Piece bolt on maple/walnut neck
    Trans purple finish with natural binding and quilt top
    Hipshot tuners
    Floyd rose 1000 with upgraded stainless saddle screws, string locks screws, 32mm brass black and noiseless springs
    Ebony Fretboard 12-16" Compound radius
    Offset dots
    Schecter brimstone pickups
    3 way switch with coil tap

I've only played it for about an hour or so as it arrived today. So far I'm very happy with it. Fret leveling is solid, the trem is solid and I very much prefer it to the edge on my Ibanez since the plastic washer on the edge were pretty much non existence and it was hard to flutter or really use the trem how i want since there was quite a bit of play in the trem arm. There's none here so it makes using the trem on chords super easy.

Jury is still out on the Schecter brimstone pick ups. They are definitely not bad but I'll have to play them more to get a solid opinion on them. The guitar is also currently in standard and I'll be putting it in drop C pretty soon so I'll have to see how they sound in a lower tuning.

Unfortunately, it looks like there's some blotching in the finish under the clear coat which isn't that big of a deal for me, especially for the price these originally went for and what I got it for. these originally went for around 650 I think and I got it for 425 from our very own /u/Mattykoda. Didn't realize I was buying this off a fellow SSO member until the guitar was nearly here. Was searching for opinion on the Brimstone pick ups and I found his old NGD thread. Super happy to have bought a guitar off a fellow SSO member since we'll usually take great care of gear which is exactly what he did. Plus he put some sweet upgrades into it

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
  2. coffeeflush

coffeeflush SS.org Regular

Nice colour, HGND

3. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

Nice! I have a trans-black one that I love. These were great guitars. It is a shame they discontinued them.

EDIT: Here is mine

Attached Files:

4. Zahs

Zahs Hmm, Upgrades?

Happy NGD. Looks like a killer! Nice natural binding too!!

5. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

<3 purple.

6. Frostbite

Yeah they're really amazing guitars. I have another banshee passive 7 string and it's also a fantastic guitar. Someone mentioned on my NGD thread for the 7 string that they were extremely similar spec wise to the Kieth Merrow sig so that may have been why they discontinued them. Who knows. Definitely think it was the wrong move to discontinue these models regardless

7. Frostbite

Oh I forgot to mention these pick ups are rated at 19k. Yes 19k. Absolutely bonkers haha

8. spork141

spork141 SS.org Regular

Amazing. Great choice

9. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

The Merrow was archtop and neckthrough, where the Banshee was flattop/contour and bolt on. I think they were quite a bit different, but the Merrow was more popular because of the SS frets, and the negative feelings towards bolt on being "cheaper". The Merrow and Loomis were much closer.

I always thought about a 7 string also, but I don't play much 7 string these days. I also always thought about getting a hardtail to go with it, but just never have. I think my only complaint is I wish the arm contour was larger, and went over the bridge more.

The newer version is the Sunset Shredder, which is cheaper, and looks more like a Charvel. I guess they wanted to compete with Charvel instead of Ibanez. I still think the Banshee is one of the best "Ibanez RGs" there is. I know I never plan on getting rid of mine, even if I don't play it as much as some other guitars.

10. Power2theMetal

Power2theMetal The deal was rigged

HNGD! I love the finish of this guitar.

11. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Responsible (hopefully) impulse buying is the best trait, not the worst. :lol:

That purple finish is cool. :yesway:

12. Frostbite

So having some more time with the guitar I can sort of give a better opinion on it. So far, and I really hope this isn't a honey moon phase, this is most likely going to be my main guitar to replace my ibanez iron label. It's extremely better made then the ibanez which has been my sticking point with the ibanez is that it's never felt as premium or quality as it should for a guitar that costs 900 dollars. I put a warpig in my ibanez but I'm considering taking it out and putting it in the schecter. I will say the downsides of this guitar are definitely the pick ups. They aren't bad and are good at what they are they are just way too hot for my liking.

13. Rawkmann

Rawkmann SS.org Regular

Congrats! I know what You mean, Schecters have quickly become my go to guitar of choice as well. They really do seem a cut above everything else in their price range.