NGD, I'm starting to feel cooler already.

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by Forkface, Aug 12, 2013.

1. Forkface

Forkface Feast on this.

So, I've always had an attraction to offset guitars. Don't know why, I just find them so damn cool :cool: But I never found the guts to buy one, last time I came close I ended up buying a Tele. Somehow I could't justify one... until now.

Found this in a pawn shop for 70 bucks. It's a Squier Jagmaster. And for starters, it's seriously pretty:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now, it has 2 very bad paint chips/scratches at the two bottom contours (didn't pictured them 'cause camera ran out of battery :rolleyes:) but it looks like someone was playing it and the strap failed and i just hit a ....ing concrete stage or the street or something. Other than that, it's practically new.
    THE GOOD:
    there is some feel of quality in the woods. resonates nice unplugged and the alder has nice grain. Tuners are nice enough, I have a heavy strumming hand and they seem to keep up with me. bridge feels sturdy, although I don't use the whammy bar so I can't comment on that.
    The best thing is the neck, a seriously nice slim profile and very VERY nice fretwork, and for me, a nice neck can compensate for a not-that-nice guitar (Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the guitar is bad, the neck is just THAT good)

THE BAD:
    Electronics. Seriously anybody thinking/saying that Duncan Designed pickups are the same as SD but made in China is full of shit. This things are horrible, period. Pots and the PU selector feel cheap, basically, Everything electronic has to go.

THE PLAN:
    I'm considering a full overhaul. New paintjob, tuners, bridge, pickups, pots, nut, the works. I feel it's about time I learn to do shit :lol: I feel confident about my internet research skills to figure out how to do most stuff, and I've got you guys in case I get stuck :D :wavey:

I'm thinking Dakota red, black pickguard, and gold hardware, kinda like this (but w/o the jazzmaster bridge):
    [​IMG]
    Or maybe sheerwood green, tortoise pickguard and gold hardware:
    [​IMG]

What do you guys think? should I go for it? :fever:

2. Dawn of the Shred

Dawn of the Shred Sweeps and Chuggs

Congrats and hngd!

3. NickS

NickS Carvinite

HNGD!!

Love the look of these:agreed:

Green with the tortoise pickguard if you're gonna change it.

4. Ironbird

Ironbird Kahler Abuser

Go for red!

5. Daf57

Daf57 5 7s in 4ths

Congrats!! I vote for the Dakota Red and blk PG! But with chrome HW - :)

6. s4tch

s4tch SS.org Regular

Cool find, regardless of the electronics, especially for that price. HNGD!

It is an ideal modding base indeed. Personally, I wouldn't change the type of bridge (filling the existing route and holes, drilling new holes for a new bridge, too much of a hassle), I'd keep the pickguard and go for the sherwood green w/gold hardware. It would look classy. :yesway:

7. Malkav

Malkav Washing your dishes.

Congrats dude! Absolute steal at that price! :D

I'd go with the green FWIW - The red is sorta standard fair for those guitars, it'd be the equivalent of getting an Ibanez 7 string and refinishing it black. :D

8. Forkface

Forkface Feast on this.

aww you don't like gold hardware? it's probably the only option I'm already decided on :lol:

Oh, maybe I forgot to mention it but yeah I don't plan on changing the bridge type, thing is the offset java app I made the guitars with only has that bridge option :rolleyes: I was just thinking swapping for another one that is gold and maybe better quality.

hahahahah you might be right :rofl:

actually, If any of you guys is bored and up to the task, there's the thing I made the mockups with
    The Fender Offset Dressing Room
    It's pretty cool and it has tons of color and pickguard options, maybe you can make some and post them, who knows? maybe I like yours more than mine :D

9. Forkface

Forkface Feast on this.

anybody knows how hard a DIY sparkle finish is? :lol::lol::lol:

[​IMG]

10. s4tch

s4tch SS.org Regular

^Check this, pretty comprehensive:

11. BucketheadRules

BucketheadRules Fuzz pedal hoarder

Nice one mate! I love offsets - I have a Squier Jazzmaster which is better than many more expensive guitars I've played.

As for the colour - I think you should go for a mint-green scratchplate and then finish it either Candy Green (rare Fender CS colour) or Inca Silver.

Here's Candy Green with a mint green plate:

[​IMG]

Here's Inca Silver/mint green:

[​IMG]

12. Ocara-Jacob

Ocara-Jacob SSO Recluse

NICE I approve. As a recent purchaser of a Jaguar, I completely understand the feeling of coolness that comes with owning a guitar with this body shape.

13. sage

sage twerk twerk thall

Totally sick deal. I'm psyched to see how your mods turn out. I like the green with the tortise shell guard.