NGD: Ibanez RGIB6!

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by BMO, Dec 28, 2017.

1. BMO

BMO Geetarist

Hey guys! Long post ahead! Just got myself a new Ibanez RGIB6 used from Guitar Center (which was a gamble in my opinion!) The gamble paid off! I got a beautiful guitar that plays just the same if not better than the MIJ RG7621 I sold months ago! The only issue with it is a dead spot at the 11th fret on the highest string, but everywhere else is properly setup for drop A and the action is low with zero buzz. Only thing was it was out of tune thanks to what looks like UPS throwing my guitar around (the box was half missing) and the cold temps up here in MA. Gonna take her in to get looked over soon and there’s a PLEK machine two towns over from me that’ll probably get my action even lower and maybe even knock out that dead spot!

Oh and a side note, it scared me when people compared the neck on this to a Gibson neck in terms of thickness and feel. Well, and it sounds off topic but what solidied buying this for me was I met Ricky Horror from Motionless In White (my favorite band, judge me all ya want haha!) at a horror convention they co-headlined with Superjoint a couple months back. His rig consists entirely of these and his LACS model which is an RGIB6 with a fixed edge bridge. When I shook his hand after signing my arm (which i got tattooed as I was there as a public display for my tattoo artist) his hands were smaller than mine! That made me think if a 28” scale Ibanez everyone says is super thick is comfy to him, it will be for me! And I was right! In reality, it feels almost identical to a newer Schecter neck and feels thinner and narrower than my LTD EC401B! I wouldn’t compare it to Gibsons at all!

Anyways, if it didn’t take you until your natural death to read that novel, here’s some pics!

[​IMG]

I’ve always had issues with images so just in case here’s a link to the album!

https://imgur.com/gallery/ooAH0

2. BMO

BMO Geetarist

Just another side note but while the EMGs are getting swapped with EMTYs, these EMGs are different than any other 81/xx set I’ve owned. They sound miles better for some odd reason!

3. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

congrats

BMO likes this.
  4. BrailleDecibel

BrailleDecibel K-U-N-fusion!

Happy NGD dude!! My good friend's favorite band is also MIW (I also dig a few of their songs, with "Devil's Night" or "Soft" being my favorite) and he is considering picking one of these up one day, I will have to show him this thread! That guitar is a beast, hopefully the PLEK job can chase out that dead spot! From one fellow drop-A player to another, go get those chugs happening!

5. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

EMTY's are going to look amazing in that and probably sound sick too.
    I will always LOVE EMG's since I found them, but I would always consider EMTY's too.
    Congrats dude and make sure you put up some updated pics/video when the pickups are swapped.

6. Matt08642

Matt08642 SS.org Regular

Likely due to the 28" scale on that RG

Also, for the fretwork you might be able to get a local luthier to look at it before having the PLEK machine do it. If it's only a fret or two, the work might only cost like $20 and be done in half an hour (at least the guy I brought one of my guitars to has that kind of pricing).

Just a thought!

7. BMO

BMO Geetarist

Thanks! And glad to know I can be of some help to someone too haha! Also drop A has been my mainstay for about a year now and I love it! Very much a great riffer’s tuning on a 6 string in my opinion!

Agreed! While I absoltely love EMGs, EMTYs to me just not only feel slightly warmer, but also have a great amount of clarity alongside the increased output!

That’s a fair point actually! Maybe that 1 inch difference between it and my LTD provide just a bit more clarity in the notes that ring out. I know tonewood ain’t much of a concern or factor with actives. And I’ll definitely look into that before deciding on a PLEK job! It’s hard to find a proper shop in my section of MA. I know Axe Palace is in state but also unfortunately across state from me. Maybe I’ll take the hour and a half trek seeing as how they’ve got a hell of a reputation on here! The only music shops (part of one chain) I got near me are not so reputable, but they did take in a luthier recently who seems to know his stuff. Got to play a pine tele he built by hand that played nice!

8. Matt08642

Matt08642 SS.org Regular

Damn man, yeah if the PLEK is closer then go for it haha. I'm lucky in that theres 2-3 luthiers in my area that work out of their houses that come recommended, so I guess I am lucky in that regard

9. BMO

BMO Geetarist

Yeah i live in the center part of the state full of small towns. Everyone around here who plays kinda just plays guitar to learn as an unimportant hobby, so lots of shops have only beginner gear and “luthiers” (usually stoners that only know how set a guitar up with high action in E standard) to maintain em. But there’s a shop two towns over that’s apparently very reputable with their PLEK machine!

10. Gravy Train

Gravy Train SS.org Regular

HNGD man! I actually also just picked one of these today and am loving it! So comfy and heavy sounding with that 28” scale! Balances really nice on a DiMarzio cliplock strap.

11. steinmetzify

steinmetzify CHUG & SLUDGE

Congrats man! Always a gamble recommending something to another guitarist since we’re all so fuckin picky, glad you dig it!

On the neck thing, I always compared it to being thicker like a Gibson neck (with the rounder shoulders) with a flatter strip down the middle like an ESP...seems to fit pretty well.

Shit, now I’m kind of jonesing to grab another one lol

12. BMO

BMO Geetarist

That’s funny cause I’m heading out in the morning fora PLEK and to buy some clip locks hahaha!

Well you and Ricky Horror both convinced me to try it out and I’m super happy I did! And my bad on if it sounded like I was pointing you out over the Gibson-esque thing, it actually seems like everyone compares it that way which is why i mentioned it. I just panic when told “like a gibson” about any neck due to well, Gibson necks being thicker than the windows on the president’s limo lol! I can see that roundness comparison though, as well as the round with a strip comparison too. To me it feels like a Schecter, as I tried the C1 Apocalypse out a few times and when I put my hands on the RGIB6 it reminded me of that immediately! And you should snag and mod another RGIB6, I really digged what you did with your old one and honestly almost snagged it off Reverb when I saw it!

13. Gravy Train

Gravy Train SS.org Regular

Let me know how that goes, I’ve always been interested in hearing how much of a difference a PLEK does to the feel/playability.

14. BMO

BMO Geetarist

Took it in and had it looked at by a local luthier first before deciding on a PLEK. Turns out while the lower strings play like a dream (which is where I play the most), the neck is warped on the other side. He actually pointed out for me that while every other fret rings out better, the 8th-14th fret on the highest 3 strings are full of dead spots I missed. So it’s being returned tomorrow to GC. Last time I buy from them. Gonna get my money back and wait for a new one in a month.

AkiraSpectrum likes this.