NGD: Ibanez RGA742FM

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by SDMFVan, Aug 8, 2018.

1. SDMFVan

SDMFVan SS.org Regular

I've actually had this for about three months now, but wanted to let the honeymoon period wear off before trying to review it.

This is my second Indonesian made Ibanez (I also have an RG7421) and in my experience these are really great values at this price point. I don't think I could see myself spending $1k+ on an Indonesian guitar, but at $500 this thing is really well built. There's no finish flaws to speak of, the frets are leveled and not sharp, and overall it plays really well after a setup. The pickups are definitely the weak link, they're really dull and inarticulate.

The most unique (and probably controversial) thing about it is the jatoba fretboard. I don't know much about it, but it seems to be kind of in-between rosewood and ebony. Kind of like a tighter grained rosewood. I actually like it quite a bit, the reddish color goes well with the finish.

Besides the pickups my only complaint would be the binding, which is very obviously painted on. The finish would look a lot cleaner if they'd just left it off.

Anyway, onto the pics:

2. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

Looks nice, congrats!
    I’ve played a few 6 string versions of this guitar and thought it they were quite good for the price. And without question they look awesome visually for the price range.

SDMFVan likes this.
  3. TOM4S

TOM4S SS.org Regular

4. SDMFVan

SDMFVan SS.org Regular

5. TOM4S

TOM4S SS.org Regular

Yes they are good quality, check my thoughts on it. They also are beautiful, it's my first RGA and I really like the feel of the body.

6. goobaba

goobaba SS.org Regular

I played one of the blue 6 string ones at Guitar Center and the set up was terrible and the frets were sharp. It looked so dope but I couldn't get past how it played.

7. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire git gud scrub

HNGD
    I dig the aesthetic ibby was going for with these RGAs, but I agree that they could have put a bit more effort into cleaning up the binding/paint.
    I tried a couple of the indo premiums/standards yesterday at guitar center. The premiums had ball fret ends (which I've never seen on production guitars besides esp EIIs). I was pretty impressed with the premiums and some of the standards I looked at. The couple of standards I tried sounded meh because of the stock pickups but they felt good.

8. Santuzzo

Santuzzo SS.org Regular

Congrats! great looking guitar!