NGD: Ibanez Premium 7

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by Leec, Mar 1, 2012.

1. Leec

Leec Woopah! Contributor

I just picked this sucker up today. I asked the local store to get one in (had to pay a non-refundable deposit *shakes fist*). Tried it out through a Tri Rec and really dug it, so I walked out with it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

These are the best pics I could grab. I had limited daylight, so had to just grab a few with my kit lens.

My first impression is I like it. It's a fairly cheap (£700), attractive looking Ibanez 7. What's not to like? I've been hammering it for the last few hours. Really enjoyable guitar to play.

The pickups are not the best in the world, but I had a lot of fun using the bridge pickup. It's quite jangly, pretty bright. Something Strat-ish about it. I dig that. The neck pickup is pretty pants. They're both safe for a while, but I'll be choosing some new pickups soon enough.

The neck feels great, the fretwork particularly so. The maple binding on it looks very nice. And I love offset dots. I can't live without dots on a fretboard; love the look of blank ones but I lose my way once I get up higher on the fretboard, and offset is the best of both worlds.

Couple of niggles about it, though. It's in dire need of a set-up. The low B and high E buzz when played open or at the first fret. Not sure how that could get past the guy who signed off the set-up.
    The locking studs either don't work or I've not been supplied with the correct tool. I'll get the set I use for my Lo Pro guitars and see if that tiny-arse one does it.
    And The dumbass case thing it comes in. It's as heavy as a HSC, but with none of its sturdy benefits. It's certainly better than nothing, but I'm pretty sure that's going.

2. Evil Weasel

Evil Weasel SS.org Regular

Ibanez with rubbish pickups shocker! Seriously, that top is stunning. Nice acquisition. How are the necks on the Premium 7's? Like a 7321 or a 1527?

3. Leec

Leec Woopah! Contributor

Never played a 7321, so I couldn't tell you how it compares to one. It's not hugely different to the 5-piece 1527 neck (not sure about the 3-piece one). Seems comparable in thickness (although judging the difference of 2mm or so by feel is pretty tough), but the profile seems a little more C-shaped than the 1527 5-piece.

4. oremus91

oremus91 Melodeth-er

Awesome, I've been waiting for the influx of premium 7 string NGDs and I think this is going to get the ball rolling!

5. IronGoliath

IronGoliath SS.org Regular

So gorgeous man.. put some nice pickups in there :)

6. shanejohnson02

shanejohnson02 Hammer of the Gods

Those Premium 7's are *almost* enough to make me switch back to Ibanez from Carvin. They are stunning guitars, indeed!

7. Conant20

Conant20 SS.org Regular

[​IMG]So gorgeous man..

8. simonXsludge

simonXsludge (((Ω)))

You got yourself a wonderful top (well...veneer) there. I love my RG7 Premium, it's a grower. The longer I have it, the more I like it. Throw in a good set of PUs and you'll be happy. DiMarzios are always a good call, just saying.

Happy NGD! :yesway:

9. Santuzzo

Santuzzo SS.org Regular

Congrats and HNGD!

Awesome pictures of a GREAT guitar! :yesway:

10. Blackheim

Blackheim Guitar Emperor

So, is it a veneer? I noticed that the edges (binding) looks like natural flamed maple....

Btw! HNGD!! Those Premium are gorgeous!

11. Horizongeetar93

Horizongeetar93 maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan

I own a 7321 and i've played the 7 premiums. I personally say the neck has less chunk on the premiums than the 7321's. i like both, honestly, but i might want to get a premium soon. This one looks sick and put something metal in for pickups (bkp content?) lol

12. broj15

broj15 SS.org Regular

Your photography skills are pretty good. I always hate to open up a thread for a nice guitar only to see shitty pics lol. That binding is classy. Can't wait to start seeing these in some of the other colors. Happy NGD.

13. Rick

Rick ALL HAIL DJOD Forum MVP

Lovely snag, sir, I saw Robby from The Contortionist is rocking one of those now.

14. Pat_s1t

Pat_s1t UG Invader

Fucking ass dude this looks amazing! I've played a couple 6 string Premiums, and they're certainly nothing to joke about. Very solid guitars all around.

15. myrtorp

myrtorp Jiggywiggy

Looks lovely! Nice photos indeed!
    I so want it with a fixed bridge!

16. Santuzzo

Santuzzo SS.org Regular

It's not a real thick top, indeed just a thin veneer. If it were a thick top price would be much higher.

The binding is a 'fake binding'.

That said, none of that bothers me, it's an awesome guitar for a great price!
    Mine came with a tiny cosmetic flaw which bothered me at first, but then I just decided to get over it. :)

17. Goatchrist

Goatchrist Jebus

Gorgeous top! Congrats!

18. Evil Weasel

Evil Weasel SS.org Regular

Just checked and it is the same neck as the RG1527Z according to the Ibanez website. Good news as the 7321's were far too chunky for an RG series.

These are Indonesian built aren't they? I know they claim they are built to prestige standard but wonder how they actually stack up. £750 for a non prestige seems way too high to me given you can get a pristine condition second hand RG1527 for quite a bit less than that. If they did the purple one in 7 string version it would be hard to resist though!

19. simonXsludge

simonXsludge (((Ω)))

It looks like that on the headstock binding only. They might put thicker caps on those headstocks, I'm not sure. Wouldn't make much sense either, though. The body binding is not "real", it doesn't reflect the thickness of the veneer / top. Does not bother me at all, though.

20. TheBloodstained

TheBloodstained SS.org Regular

GAS... again and really bad! :(

Absolutely beautiful guitar :)