NGD! Ibanez M80M

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by Krauthammer, Jan 23, 2018.

1. Krauthammer

Krauthammer SS.org Regular

This Ibanez M80M arrived this last August. Having played the RG2228 for almost 10 years, I thought it time to upgrade. The RG plays well, but it needs to be re fretted, and I know no one to help with that around here.

After a few months with this machine, there is a lot to love, but not without its problems.

Direct from Sweetwater, she sounded great right out of the box. But I noticed the action was set insanely high, and pickup was really low. Upon further inspection, the frets from 1st to 3rd seem to grind when I bend, only on the plain strings, but is so unfortunate as that is a problem with my 10 year old guitar, shouldn't be with the brand new one! I still haven't taken it in to a tech to have them smoothed out yet.

All in all, from reading many posts, its what I had expected. Hit or miss with the fret quality. But the worst part was when I changed strings for the 1st time, and removing the 1st string, the tiny block in the bridge saddle was split in two. I emailed Sweetwater right away, with pics, and one week later they sent me the wrong bridge block!! I then went to ibanezrules.com, found the correct part, emailed that to Sweetwater, with more pics, and another week later the replacement arrived. All is well that ends well I guess.

Weird too because when I got my RG2228 nine years ago, a bridge locking nut that screws into the the bridge saddle snapped off after the second change. Made a thread about that, RG 2228 weakness, something like that. I think its deleted, it was old. I'm not heavy-handed with this stuff, just bad luck!

I tune to standard E , and I knew the .070 gauge wasn't going to work. With my 27" RG, I have settled on an .086 for the E and .064 for the A.

For the M80M I tried an .080, and it worked, but sounded too round and boomy. Now I'm using a .076 for E, and a .060 for A. Both guitars' six string set are 9-42.

I absolutely love the M80M, despite all the problems initially. The 29.4 scale is a bit of a stretch on the higher strings at lower frets for my hands, but the smaller strings being tighter is worth it. I have a Lundgren M8 in my RG, but the two guitars definitely have their own sound. The RG seems a bit tighter muting wise (probably cause I'm used to it) and has always had a very dark tone, very focused.

The M80M by contrast has a much brighter, snappier tone. It just seems like the amp really opens up with M80M. It sounds exceptional on the cleans with some delay and verb, I never would have guessed. The tone knob on this is the most useful tone knob I've ever had. It is weird, but rounding it off 50% on clean really fattens the sound, and all the way off gives a very neck pickup vibe. With distortion, single notes on the plain strings do have that thin quality I read about. Sharp and brittle? The real damage is done on Ch3 though. It can and will achieve Meshuggah tone. I love it.

The body is bigger, and the neck is more thick than the 2228 for sure. The grain is beautiful, and the neck plays so well. Not without its faults initially, all manufacturing problems were fixed save the fret work to be done. I've never had a flawless guitar, so that's normal. I still recommend this to you and yours, it is that good.

Sweetwater also takes better pics than I do.

Manurack, DeKay, couverdure and 14 others like this.
  2. BusinessMan

BusinessMan SS.org Regular

Hell ya dude. Looks killer

Krauthammer likes this.
  3. saminator

saminator Do you even praise, bro?

Congrats on the NGD, my dude. I've got an M80M as well, and like you said, it's not without it's problems.

Don't get me wrong either, it's still a pretty swell guitar. It sounds monstrous and the scale length is awesome. But those frets ends are rough...

Krauthammer and Paul McAleer like this.
  4. gujukal

gujukal SS.org Regular

Pickup seems to be really close to the bridge, how does that effect the tone on the higher strings? Also the long scale length must make the high e and b strings really bright. Would be pretty cool to mod a neck pickup cavity to make it more versatile i think.

5. Paul McAleer

Paul McAleer newborn baby

The scale length can make those strings pretty ice-picky. Rolling the volume knob has worked well for others and or just have a separate channel/patch for leads. Picking closer to the neck to make it more wholesome for myself though! Dynamics and all :yesway:

Krauthammer likes this.
  6. Krauthammer

Thanks for the kind words, fellas!

Indeed, the pup is as close to the bridge as can be. It does have that "ice-pick" quality on the plain strings. I dont really notice too much at high volumes. that brittle tone comes through on a clean channel. My other 8 has an Ionizer in the neck, which I really like. No plans to tear into this M80M. I like the look of the one pup. With the type of music I like to play, I dig the sound. It almost lends itself to have a more "empty, deep space" "lo-fi" sound

7. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

the only thing I never liked about these is the brown board. The rest is so much win!!

8. Go To Bed Jessica

Go To Bed Jessica SS.org Regular

I'm not playing a lot of 8 string at the moment, and every so often it crosses my mind to sell my M80M... until I pick it up and play it, and realize that I'm never selling it. It's the perfect 8 string for me.

9. purplebelt155

purplebelt155 "nothing to see here."

After you take it to a tech it will feel like a whole new instrument. I had the guy do everything to it. the frets were shit and it buzzed like a son of a bitch. I think he said he put a 74 on the low string and it sounds great. feels fantastic.

however; for a $1400 guitar, taking it to a tech for fret buzz is a major burn. because of the shit set up from the factory I give mine a 7/10. After a tech set up 8.5/10.

Manurack and Krauthammer like this.
  10. Type_R3387

Type_R3387 SS.org Regular

I own 2 M80Ms and I wouldn't trade them for anything. That scale length combined with the Lundgren M8 makes for one of the best production 8 strings currently on the market, IMO. As far as the frets go, I too had a bit of a shitty experience with my first one. So much so, I sent the damn thing back to Hoshino USA and when it returned, the fretwork was immaculate. Remember to utilize your warranty!

Krauthammer likes this.
  11. DeathChord

DeathChord FTW

HNGD, I got mine the 1st year they came out and there is no way in hell I'd ever part with it, IMO it's exactally what an eight stringshould be. I played the Phuck out of it for so long I needed to do a re-finish, still love it.

Attached Files:

Krauthammer and AkiraSpectrum like this.
  12. Paul McAleer

Did you strip the paint off of it?!

13. DeathChord

DeathChord FTW

I had totally worn through the finish in so many spots and actually down to the ash itself so I sanded it down the rest of the way, rubbed it with charcoal from my fire place and a super light coat of washed out stain then hand rubbed it with a mixture of oil and bees wax IMG_0744 (480x640).jpg IMG_0745 (480x640).jpg IMG_0749 (640x480) - Copy.jpg

14. DeKay

DeKay Caynug

jesus holy moly this looks amazing

Krauthammer likes this.
  15. BigViolin

BigViolin Rosewood Boarded Contributor

Yup Mr. Chord, your guitar looks great! I applaud you playing the crap out of that.

Like it should be.

:dio:

16. sezna

sezna undermotivated

Always wanted one of these. Congrats! Weird question but how do you feel about the finish? I love it

Krauthammer likes this.
  17. Go To Bed Jessica

Go To Bed Jessica SS.org Regular

Damn, that looks AMAZING.

I would love to wear through the finish on mine, but it still looks basically new. It doesn't help that it's not my most played instrument. Maybe I need to start reaching for it a bit more. I had actually started to think it was coated in the same thick poly as my S320 - which has been played to death and has no wear on the finish at all.

Guess I need to get busy playing some more 8 string!

Krauthammer likes this.
  18. Krauthammer

I love the finish. You can see and feel the grain. Even with the inevitable scratches, its better than the smudges from a gloss finish. Every electric I own has a gloss. I can see why it is kinda industry standard. my 20 year old rg7620 still looks almost new, and I remember beating that thing up quite a bit back in the day. The m80m has 6 months of play on it and it has a nice amount of pick scrapes, tiny chips around the lower horn, small dent on the body from a careless cable hanging around. I'm not light touch with any of my instruments so I'm not bothered by it. They might have battle wounds, but I make sure the important part is always there, that they sound and play nice!

DeathChord, your m80m looks killer! The finish is so thin, I can see where mine will be in a few years. In your pic, it looks like the bottom of your pickup has been melted from the shred. Awesome machines, these are.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
  19. Paul McAleer

I've played the shit out of mine and the paint isn't even wearing off. Some parts of it are becoming glossy near the pickups but that's it. Maybe they've played on an extra coat of it or something.

20. Cyanide_Anima

Cyanide_Anima BLOOOOM!

I just got a used m80m from the 'bay. It has some of the same issued yours had. I think didn't even notice the issues with the guitar, probably a beginner player. Anywho, these are definitely killer guitars. Enjoy it, man. Looks like you're rocking the shit out of it in that pic.

Krauthammer likes this.