NGD I was hungry for cock...stock!

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by Edika, Mar 27, 2017.

1. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

After my silly, hopefully not homophobic, title I give you the ESP LTD BS-7! Since the Whitechapel models were initially out I really really found them pleasing aesthetically but with no store carrying them close to where I lived the past few years, I wasn't ready to buy new and potentially be out a few hundred if I couldn't return it easily.

Anyway I saw this come up in a really good price and went ahead and got it. A few pics and I'll give my impressions later.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

You all know the specs more or less but this came with Dimarzio Ionizer on the bridge and in Drop A. The action was really high but the strings were really light so I'm guessing the fact that the low A was vibrating a lot was one of the reasons for that. I gave it for a set up for a 10-46 plus a 66 for high A and it's tight now. I needed to do some slight tweaks myself as the action was again really high and I am getting a bit of buzz. Plus the 66 seems huge in comparison to the other strings.

First impression getting it out of box, it's really really heavy. I think it must be one of the heaviest guitars I've owned so far. It was in immaculate condition as the seller advertised. Fit and finish is almost perfect. I think the only thing I have to say is the lacquer masking on one side of the neck isn't super perfect and the binding isn't super clean, as it seems that the painted the guitar after installing the binding.

Play ability is really good but one thing I have to say is that the neck profile feels a bit thick, not much like thin U. Maybe the volute plays some role to that close to the headstock but the Jackson 7 string I have is thinner and comfier. But it is a pleasing profile nevertheless.

Some of you might have seen my thread about me bitching about not be able to get a good sound out of my Jackson 7 string, which may make them think why would I buy another 7 string. Well I did manage to get a good sound with the Jackson after some valuable advise from you guys and was enjoying it so much I GASed for another one.

My problem is I'm not enjoying the Ionizer as much as I was expecting. It is supposed to have a curve of 6 Bass, 7 Mids and 5 Treble but all I hear is Mids and Treble. It is super clear and tight I won't deny that, the Drop A sounds quite meaty played in chords, like heaving the djent sound in the pickup default. But single notes and chords on the higher strings tend to make my ears bleed. I'm thinking the fact that it has a volume knob only with all those bright woods, as it sounds quite bright unplugged, and the dense woods maybe the Ionizer wasn't the best choice. I feel the Liquifire in the neck sounds quite crunchy and even more pleasing to play.

I tried backing off the mids, treble and presence in my amp and giving it a bit more lows bit it really didn't do much. I'll solder in a capacitor and 500k resistance to emulate the tone knob as I'm hoping it will darken a bit the sound. If that doesn't help I might think about replacing it, if I don't manage to make it more manageable.

So in conclusion, lovely guitar, really well made and I'm not regretting getting it. It is a stunner and I hope I'll make it sound as I want.

Harry, s4tch, Dustin B and 10 others like this.
  2. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

Very nice. A green pickup actually looks kinda cool there.

Don't forget to mess with pickup height. I always seem to forget about it with my guitars. Just the other day I was messing around with my mayones, which I didn't think was as tight sounding as my other guitars, and on a whim I jacked the pickup way up higher than I normally would, and it sounds super chunky with much more bottom end and yet more tightness and clarity also. It has a Duncan sh5 in it though, so ymmv.

3. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

I did try to get the pickup closer to the strings. One main problem was that the Floyd was way up and the screws the pickup has are a bit short as I managed to get the pickup loose :(. After I played with the height of the Floyd I managed to get at about 4-5 mm which sounds better, more crunch and sustain, but it didn't do that much for the bass response. I don't want to get it too close as it gets a bit overpowering.

The clean sound of the Ionizer actually sounds like a single coil in a humbucker form. Really thin and trebly. Changing to the Liquifire the frequencies just fill in and it gives it a perceived higher volume which I think is just an effect of the increased bass response. I think this is the first pickup that I might actually play with the pole pieces height, but I don't remember if I have to get them lower or higher for more bass response.

4. Jarmake

Jarmake Frost Giant

Are you sure the wiring is correct? Maybe the pup is in a split mode or out of phase? That could explain the lack of bass and thin sound.

5. MetalHead40

MetalHead40 SS.org Regular

That's a good looking guitar. Congrats!

6. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

That's what I thought initially but both coils work when I have the switch at the bridge position (I tapped them with a screwdriver), the red cable is wired that is the hot for Dimarzio pickups and the sound is vastly improved on the middle position which would indicate out of phase wiring. I can redo the wiring and see if there's any change in the sound before introducing the resistor and capacitor.

It is and it's well built for a production guitar!

7. cip 123

cip 123 SS.org Regular

HOLY BALLS. THATS MY GUITAR!

Haha, I sold this about a year ago never thought I'd see it wind up here. It was a lovely guitar, sounded massive through my old setup. Hope you enjoy the thing, I never got round to getting the green neck pickup ;)

8. Dawn of the Shred

Dawn of the Shred Power of the Riff

Congrats man!

9. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

Hahaha I knew I'd finf the previous owner here as it was advertised for a while in ss.org. But not the owner before! I actually do like the Liquifire a lot but stil not to sure about the Ionizer. One thing I'll say the green color really suits the guitar!

Thank you 😊

10. cip 123

cip 123 SS.org Regular

I did intend to give it a Universe vibe. I believe it's had 2 owners since me then, and now you. It's great fun when you get it all down, I didn't have any action problems when I had it.

The Ionizer was bit bright in that. It orginally had a crunch lab which sounded equally huge (Must be the guitar). But it lacked a bit of bass definition at least on my amp which was an Orange OR15. So try a Crunch Lab if you're looking to switch it up.

11. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

I'll keep that in mind. I haven't decided yet honestly as after playing with it for a while any other guitar sounded muffled and undefined lol!

I'm playing it through Peavey 5150II which should give it a big sound but I haven't been able to get it there yet. One other option I'm thinking is the D'Activator, as I like the 6 string version.

12. cip 123

cip 123 SS.org Regular

Yea I've got the Ionizer in my current mahogany 7 and going to others I always miss the Ionizer.

I like the overall tone of the D'activator but not it's compression, so I just stayed away. It's up to you, I've tried a couple duncans and they're not for me nothing seems to have beaten the Ionizer for me personally.

13. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire I'll sleep when I'm dead

i don't know how the 7 string titan sounds but the 6 string one is damn near a dead ringer for the 6 string version of the d-activator. Might be something to look into as well.

14. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

For what its worth, I have recently put many of my guitars pickups in the ~3mm range for the bridge pickup, when the 24th fret is fretted. You will get a big output boost but I just pull the amp gain or boost gain down to compensate.

When I get in the ~5mm range, it can loose bottom end and start sounding a bit weak/anemic, though without any actual benefit to clarity.

Thats just for me though, I know every guitar and pickup is different.

15. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

looks awesome, congrats!

16. Axayacatl

Axayacatl SS.org Regular

Showed up for the cock, stayed for the guitar.

So cool, congrats!!

Now scallop the fingerboard!!

17. USMarine75

USMarine75 Doc McStuffins Contributor

I remember when this model came out and I thought it was exactly what I would spec in an ESP custom guitar. I was surprised it wasn't more popular. It was on my short list, but I somehow just never ended up picking one up. Thanks for renewing my GAS.... just what I needed, another guitar on my list. :)

By the way if you're looking for a good Whitechapel sound from that thing, I have BKP Impulse in my Regius through the Sinmix profile on my KPA and it nails the tone perfectly. So much punch and balls.

Anywho, congrats!!!

18. Blytheryn

Blytheryn Musical Adam West

Love the simple fretboard... Sick score!

19. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

That's interesting to know. If they do sound like the D'Activator but with less compression then it'll be worthwhile checking it out.

In this specific guitar with the routes it has it'll be difficult to put Duncans in and honestly I have no experience with 7 string Duncans. I still haven't decided as it seems like a really good pickup but maybe not for this guitar. I have been thinking about trying a Bareknuckle pickup as the prices here are about £30 more per pickup so it's not a massive difference.

I'll check where the height is when I fret the 24th fret later today. I do have a Jackson SL2H that came with D'Activators from the previous owner that has the bridge pickup at 2.5 mm unfretted. It sounds killer so I haven't bothered changing the height. Maybe it's a bit too close lol!

Thanks guys and that's a no on yhe scallop 😆

For some reason I'm stuck on trying the Warpig. I feel it might be excessive so I've been hesitant to pull the trigger, but it seems to be a dark, pewrfull and clear pickup. I've read really good things about the Impulse I'm just not sure they'll fit in the Dimarzio routes. I can ask Bareknuckle and they can tell me.

I'm not sure why they weren't that popular myself. Maybe because they're Whitechapel sigs. But they're so subtle as sigs go that it can't be it. Anyway it's a great guitar and if you find one in a good price, go for it. This and my Schecter Blackjack SLS are the two mid level instruments that actually feel like higher level ones.

Thanks man!

20. Insomnia

Insomnia Needs more strings!

Wow, not seen these before, they're NICE!

Can you explain what cock-stock is? =P

Edika likes this.