NGD: Holy Grail ESP Content

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by Crash Dandicoot, Dec 16, 2017.

1. Crash Dandicoot

Crash Dandicoot » Supra-ise!

A bucket list axe acquired, gentlemen. Photos first, naturally:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

An Original Series Horizon CTM-FR in Faded Sky Blue. I could go on and on about various specs and details, but the short of it is this: I've played a metric fuck-ton of excellent high end guitars... I've simply never felt quality like this before. It's so exceptionally light and resonant. It shipped from New York to Florida up here to Canada over the course of two weeks, being opened and inspected, etc. yet arrived in tune and flawlessly set up - no exaggeration. It sounds monstrous through my Friedman and playability is completely effortless. It's difficult to photograph however the body on these models isn't black, it's a dark metallic blue and it looks gorgeous in person. I imagine the other colors in this series have similar finishes matching their tops. The cockstock is a lovely design and the neck feels superbly light due to how little mass it has. I also have very little fear of dinging it thanks to its small profile. The SD Jazz / Custom 5 set, while not being my first choice by any means, sound ridiculously nice. I don't know if any SD set would sound bad in this guitar / rig set up, honestly. I have no intention of swapping them out. The set-thru neck carve has such ludicrous upper fret access, too. I could reach 26 on the low E (if it existed) with minimal effort.

The only gripe I can muster is the inlays (which are cool as hell) blend in to the look of the strings when you're playing fast and can be difficult to see. I use side dots exclusively anyways, but figured it's worth mentioning.

There's something to be said for craftsmanship on this level: Holy actual fuck, ESP. This is completely neck and neck with high end Suhrs, Tom Andersons, PRS's - you name it.

Even the guy who inspected it at my proxy shipping service knew what was up:

[​IMG]

A big thanks to @feraledge and @Ikke for coaxing me into this life choice!

2. feraledge

feraledge Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?

Damn dude!! That's so fucking rad and I'm glad you were able to get this tracked down and scored legit. The quilt and sky blue finish work together so perfectly that it's insane. I feel like I can get lost in it and it has a kind of soothing effect. I bet in person that it's other worldly.
    But you really can't get better than ESP customs. Seriously, going on two years since I got my Custom Horizon and I still play it in awe every single day. Some honey moons never end. Congrats!!
    Also, the customs note is absolutely hilarious. I'm imaging that person trying to sneak a few licks in quick while on the line. And by licks, I mean guitar riffs and putting his tongue on your guitar.

3. NickS

NickS Carvinite

HNGD!! Looks incredible, like you just want to stare at it even though your itching to play it too!

Blytheryn likes this.
  4. Blytheryn

Blytheryn Musical Adam West

Oh fuck. That’s gorgeous! HNGD!

5. feraledge

feraledge Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?

I know this guitar is capable of being an absolute metal machine, but as soon as I see it (yes, I've come back a couple times already), all I hear is Peter Gabriel's 'In Your Eyes.'

6. Jacksonluvr636

Jacksonluvr636 SS.org Regular

Wow very nice. Looks amazing.

Each day I wonder more and more if I should just sell every guitar to fund an Original Series. I can only imagine how they play.

feraledge likes this.
  7. Jinogalpa

Jinogalpa ESP fanatic Contributor

beautiful guitar, enjoy it !!

the look of the cockstock and the "Horizon" font work very classy together

feraledge likes this.
  8. Zado

Zado SS.org Regular

The finish is jizztastic, I'd put some cream rings and zebra bobbins in there!

9. StrmRidr

StrmRidr Hide your Jacksons

Mother of god.

Blytheryn likes this.
  10. Dawn of the Shred

Dawn of the Shred I Still Play Grunge

Damn!! Congrats man

11. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

A fine fine guitar! What can I say that hasn't been covered by the other members! Congratulations it's just awesome!

12. Crash Dandicoot

Thanks guys! It's everything you would imagine it to be at the price tag, haha.

Oh man, the cleans. The Butterslax has some deceptively nice clean capabilities and this thing brings it out beautifully. Tops all my other electrics for clarity and warmth.

I fully support this idea!

Before it showed up I was actually messing around in PhotoShop to see what pickup configuration looked the best - sound wise they're great, just not a fan of black pickups. I decided on cream rings with chrome covers :)

StrmRidr and feraledge like this.
  13. sirbuh

sirbuh SS.org Regular

Nice looking axe; that two week shipping process must have been hell.
    Add another one to search the list.

14. Zado

Zado SS.org Regular

I hear you man, I m always saying that many brands would sell A LOT more if they used different color schemes with pickups. And blue finishes LOVE cream plastics. Maybe double cream bobbins would be too much considering the chrome hardware, but zebra? Definitely nice. Go for cream rings and zebra pups, you wont regret it.

15. Crash Dandicoot

Zebra looked nice, but I'm telling you - chrome covers with cream rings looks hot. We'll see how it goes down the road, I'm in no rush to change anything. Just finished oiling the fretboard (was a little dry, if the photos didn't indicate it) and setting it up for D#. Plays even slicker than before with a freshly treated fretboard ;)

16. Spicypickles

Spicypickles 8 string Warrior

Very very nice.

I have an old h207 that is probably my best playing guitar (close in sound as well), so I can only imagine how great this is.

Cock stock for life.

feraledge likes this.
  17. Ikke

Ikke A Dream Cartographer

You take great pictures! Guitar looks great!

Crash Dandicoot likes this.
  18. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

wow, congrats!

19. Wolfos

Wolfos Guitarded

Unreal, there's something about a blue quilt....

20. JD27

JD27 ESP Cult Member

Awesome, one of my favorite Horizon’s. The USA and Custom Shops ESPs are hands down my favorite guitars. I must buy more of them.

Crash Dandicoot and feraledge like this.