NGD: Hapas Siren 625 guitar review

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by khm, Nov 10, 2017.

1. khm

khm SS.org Regular

So my new Hapas Siren arrived from Berlin on Wednesday , so wanted to share some photos, thoughts and musings of the experience.

This is my first ‘custom’ guitar, as up until now everything i have owned has been off the self.

I had the chance to try a Hapas guitar out some time ago, and was really impressed with the build quality and the fret work, so thought I would speak with them and potentially get a build under way.

The Specs

Body: 1pc. Ash

Neck: Maple & Wenge

Fretboard: Ebony

Scale: 25.5"

Frets: 24 Stainless Steel

Dots: 3mm Luminlays side and front

Bridge: Hipshot

Tuners: Hipshot Open Gear Locking

Pickup: Bare Knuckle Pickups Nailbomb bridge & VHII neck

20171108_112212.jpg

20171110_135326.jpg 20171110_135337.jpg 20171110_135353.jpg 20171110_135427.jpg 20171110_135447.jpg 20171110_135509.jpg 20171110_135516.jpg 20171110_135611.jpg 20171110_135634.jpg

First impressions:

After a few days of play time I can’t help but notice how extremely well built and easy to play this is, the fret work is amazing and I can not find any problems with the work.

The picks ups I chose, as I didn’t have the confidence to choose their own brand, as they have very few audio samples online, and the only ones they do are Djent so I only knew what the bottom E sounded like (I would need to know what the other 5 strings sound like to go for that option;)

The bridge is Bareknuckle Alnico Nailbomb, was has a great range and is very tight. The neck is the VHII which has a really warm sound for lead work, and really cuts through a mix.

The neck is extremely comfy and thin so works well for me coming from Ibanez and ESP, the fretboard is a lovely dark piece of ebony with no streaking.

my only complaint so far is the bridge is ever so slightly too far to the left meaning the high strings are not perfectly aligned over the pickup poles, and the high E is a little too far in on the fret board. Doesn’t affect the playability, at all – just bugs me a little when I see it!

The Process:

I ordered the guitar back at the star of November last year, and was quoted 5-6 month build time, communication with Robert was very good up until i paid the deposit, but i was looking for a solid guitar not a pen pal so no problems there.

fast forward 6 months to the middle of May, i shot them an email asking if there were some progress reports, and was sent a picture of a freshly CNC’ed body and was told it had been sanded – that was it!

They allowed me to change pick ups at this stage to the Bareknuckles for an upcharge which was decent, and was told this didn't affect build time at all - double win!

July got another update from them and was told it would be another 2 – 3 months due to the fact there were only 2 of them working there (which is odd as there were the 2 same people working there when i ordered the guitar, same 2 people when i paid my deposit and the same 2 who quoted me the original build time)

All in all i am very happy with the guitar, plays well, looks great and cant see myself selling this any time at all in the near future. The actual service however didn't overly enamour me. I appreciate people have come to somewhat take it for granted Luthiers can just make time up, and deliver whenever they feel like it – but i run my own business and find it kinda rude and disrespectful not to let customers know of delays, or problems that have arisen what would affect the delivery of a project.

Would I buy another Hapas Guitar? If I saw one for sale second hand, I would seriously consider picking up another one (perhaps a 7 string next time) but would not order from them again, i believe they have now changed their delivery time to 9-12 months which seems to be a little more realistic but in future i will be avoiding smaller builders due to this experience.

2. Angel0fshreD

Angel0fshreD Shred While Bleeding

HNGD!
    Finish is great.
    Hope you are truly happy with your purchase!!!

Grooven and khm like this.
  3. khm

khm SS.org Regular

Thank man! I think it was called 'Coal Burst' - I am really happy with the guitar, which is rare of me as I always seem to find one thing to rag on with a new guitar that is 'not quite right' but not this time! :D

4. marcwormjim

marcwormjim SS.org Regular

Congrats on the black machine! The fun of getting any custom guitar is in learning what you’ll want in your next custom guitar.

khm likes this.
  5. khm

khm SS.org Regular

haha - I think if I even broach the subject of another custom guitar with the wife, ill be looking for a new house first!! :D

6. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

nice man. That looks a lot like mine.
    Glad you like it.

His pickups are great though. i'd totally order some more from him if I didn't think it would take a year to get them.

khm likes this.
  7. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire 8 string hoarder

meh wives are expensive, get rid of her to get more guitars :p

khm likes this.
  8. Grooven

Grooven SS.org Regular

HNGD,she's a beauty

khm likes this.
  9. khm

khm SS.org Regular

I had considered it, but it was such an unknown entity at the time, I didn't want to take the risk! but sounds like I should have maybe given them a chance man! glad you are enjoying yours dude!

10. khm

khm SS.org Regular

Hahaha! I shall suggest it, don't suppose you have a spare couch I could crash on for errr 6 months to life? :D

11. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

I think for what you like the nail bomb and vhii are a fine choice. His pickups aren't any better then bkp. You coulda just saved like 30 bucks or so?

Whatever I go reminds me a lot of the aftermaths.
    So just a bit more high end clarity and djent thump then the nail bombs through the same amp. a little thinner then the aftermaths. all good though.

khm likes this.
  12. Glades

Glades SS.org Regular

Dump the wife. Get more guitars.

khm likes this.
  13. R34CH

R34CH Counter Culture Bullet Vulture

HNGD! Really digging how the pickup covers look against that sexy finish! Very slinky.

khm likes this.
  14. khm

khm SS.org Regular

Cheers buddy! :D

15. khm

khm SS.org Regular

I kinda play a mix of Melodic death and dream theatre type stuff, so It seems to work well for both of those styles, its hard as they are quite different ends of the spectrum, so finding pups that cover a large range whilst still sounding good can be quite hard :)

16. luislais

luislais nothing ever happens

Really very very nice!!! Congrats!!!!!

khm likes this.
  17. khm

khm SS.org Regular

Thanks buddy !

18. Power2theMetal

Power2theMetal The deal was rigged

HNGD!! This thing looks fabulous, any chance for some video action in order to hear it? I've been gas'ing for one of these, but ultimately feel as if it'll be too thin a body for my tastes (i don't know if it's me or not, but a lot of their builds look so thin in the body). Either way, best of luck in the future with it!

khm likes this.
  19. khm

khm SS.org Regular

Thanks man, much appreciated! I'm planning on doing a few vids once I am back from vacation next week ! So will let you know. It doesn't really feel super thin (I normally play MIJ ibanez ) and it's got some serious weight to it !! Which surprised me for sure!

I haven't stopped playing it since it arrived and certainly have no regrets !

Power2theMetal likes this.
  20. myrtorp

myrtorp Jiggywiggy

Looks solid, HNGD man!
    I wanna pick it up and riff :D

khm likes this.