NGD: Gibson Les Paul Traditional Goldtop with mods

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by s_k_mullins, Nov 1, 2015.

1. s_k_mullins

s_k_mullins !@#$?!

Hi guys! For your viewing pleasure, my newest acquisition: a 2014 Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro, with a '60s neck profile and the ever lovely Goldtop finish. I have suffered from simultaneous Les Paul GAS and Goldtop GAS for a while. Feels satisfying to cure both at once. (Ha ha! He says cure!)

This particular Lester Polfuss model (which my wife dubbed Goldie Hawn) is a well worn and nicely broken-in specimen (similar to the actual Goldie Hawn). She has some minor finish wear on the back, a few tiny dings around the edges, and a missing switch tip. All minor, no need to fret (bad pun alert!) Most of the imperfections aren't noticeable on first glance. Plus, they are much easier to tolerate knowing I scored her for only $1100.

Also, the previous owner made some welcome modifications to the guitar. The original pickups were exchanged for a Seymour Duncan JB/59 set. And the stock active boost and coil splits were removed as well. She is now wired up like a classic LP. You can see the battery compartment on the electronics cover, but I am replacing that soon.

Overall I love it so far. Definitely enjoying it. In short, it's just a bad ass workhorse guitar with great tone and sustain for days, and when paired with my Friedman JJ100 provides a sound that gives me a total "tone boner". Great example of what a Les Paul should be. :metal:

Enough chatter, on to the photos!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And a parting shot... Goldie Hawn with her adoptive family.

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking! :yesway:

Manurack, ferret, JD27 and 5 others like this.
  2. Metal_Monk

Metal_Monk SS.org Regular

Nice score! Goldtop LPs are really staring to grow on me. Great collection as well.
    Enjoy!

3. TankJon666

TankJon666 SS.org Regular

8 guitars is unlucky ...send me the Suhr :D

4. Manurack

Manurack Nunavut Inuk

That's a great find dude! Les Paul Goldtop pics outside are gorgeous. I'd show a pic of mine, but I don't want to boast mine all over your new guitar day thread lol

5. s_k_mullins

s_k_mullins !@#$?!

Thanks! They grew on me too. Like a fungus that I couldn't get rid of. :lol:

Well actually, the last guitar I purchased before the LP was the Suhr, which made it lucky number 7 for this collection. How could I part with a lucky guitar? :lol:

Hard to beat a nice LP Goldtop! :yesway:

6. Nitrobattery

Nitrobattery SS.org Regular

Nice! I'm jonesing hard for a goldtop. Enjoy!

7. steinmetzify

steinmetzify CHUG & SLUDGE

Nice man, my GT is one of my favorite guitars ever. With that JB and the JJ you got some AIC tones for days.

HNGD!

8. DISTORT6

DISTORT6 NJ DEVIL

Congrats! HNGTD!
    Can't beat a good gold top.

9. JD27

JD27 ESP Cult Member

HNGD! The 15 year old me would have been like, "Goldtops are for old farts!", but the 35 year old me says, "Goldtops are awesome!" The collection is growing nicely too!

10. s_k_mullins

s_k_mullins !@#$?!

Haha you know at 15 I was only interested in "metal" guitars with EMGs. Don't get me wrong, I still like those too. Hell I just recently sold an ESP, a Jim Root Strat, and a few Ibbys. But I have definitely learned to appreciate a classic LP Goldtop or maybe a vintage-style Strat or Tele. And my PRS GAS knows no bounds right now.

And thanks man. I'm really happy with my current collection. A year ago I had around 14 guitars. But this collection is about quality, not quantity.

11. JD27

JD27 ESP Cult Member

Oh I definitely get it. My GAS lately is for more traditional guitars like Fender Teles/Strats, G&Ls, Gibson Semi-Hollows, and guitars with P90s. I'm also going to thin the heard a bit, probably sell of the rest of my LTDs. The 4 ESPs are what I pick up first, so they probably need to go.

12. s_k_mullins

s_k_mullins !@#$?!

Right there with you. I've had a few G&Ls and stupidly sold them. But looking to add a Cantrell Superhawk to the fold soon. Also gassing for a Tele and a Gibson Explorer (should have never sold my Thunderhorse).

And if you EVER consider selling that FT Eclipse, message me. I will gladly take that one off your hands.

13. JD27

JD27 ESP Cult Member

Cantrell Superhawk would be perfect for the complete JC Rig! I had a tribute for a while that was actually fairly nice for the price, made me want to check out the USAs.

Ha, if I ever sold that FT Eclipse there would be a few of you guys fighting for that one. :lol:

14. MatthewK

MatthewK SS.org Regular

Nice! I think I need a gold top in my LP collection. I've never played Gibson's slimmer profile necks, all mine are chunky '50s which I enjoy quite a bit. I'd be curious to try one.

15. Spicypickles

Spicypickles 8 string Warrior

The zz-top fanboy in me wants a goldtop so bad!

Congrats!

16. JustinG60

JustinG60 SS.org Regular

congrats!!! a Gold top is on my list of guitars to own! pretty jealous right now! my standard is natural and my supreme is white so i think the gold top will fit in well some day haha

17. electriceye

electriceye SS.org Regular

$1100?? You're a thief! :D

18. Bloodshredder

Bloodshredder SS.org Regular

Very nice collection! And that goldtop just shines \m/ Congrats