NGD: friend and coworker rocks! girlfriend rocks too.

Discussion in 'Jazz, Acoustic, Classical & Fingerstyle' started by chassless, Nov 14, 2015.

1. chassless

chassless Don'tDeserveMyGuitar

so, last week was my birthday. i knew my friend wanted to pimp his Squier strat a bit, so i got him a couple of single-sized humbuckers for his own birthday a couple of months ago and he's pretty happy with them. i never imagined he would return the favor, especially not in that form :

[​IMG]

Fiesta acoustic, an Ovation/Applause chinese clone. he knew i've been wanting a thin plastic bellied acoustic for a while that i can beat up a bit, and he got that thing for a great price. it's got some finish flaws, but i'm not complaining at all, since i'm now a guitar richer - and it plays and sounds great really. the neck is rounded and smooth, not too thick, and the guitar itself sounds balanced and is kinda loud. since it's plastic bellied it doesn't sound pretty 'woody'. i strung it with a pack of Elixir strings which sound dull and they'll do for now, but i'll choose some warmer strings next time.

my girl really spoiled me last week too. i'll just leave this here:

[​IMG]

asher, ferret and Explorer like this.
  2. Explorer

Explorer He seldomly knows...

Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
    Is it just my browser, or is that abalone rosette on that guitar just that outrageously blue?

That makes me want to find out if they make a 12-string version, but I couldn't even find mention of them through Google.

Enjoy both your gifts!

3. chassless

No, that must have been a reflection. That guitar is too cheap to have an actual rosette, it's a plastic sticker and it's just silver. I could post lots of pictures of the guitar's flaws but i don't want to do that thread... It's a gift you see :) either way i really don't know how to find them either. They might br only locally rebranded. Try to google 'chinese applause clone', maybe with some luck we could find something. Oh and i forgot to mention, it comes with a preamp and can be plugged!

Thanks!

4. chassless

oh, important thing i forgot to mention: the guitar does not have an upper strap knob. poop.

5. High Plains Drifter

High Plains Drifter SS.org Regular

Happy belated b-day. Nice score. I always liked the way Ovations sound.

6. Spectivum

Spectivum SS.org Regular

so is it the old school way of tieing a thread around the nut?

7. chassless

^ probably. oddly enough it does have a bottom knob. i could play this like a cello, with it standing upright.

8. chassless

inspecting pictures from another guy who has the same guitar, it seems mine lacks a strab button by mistake. heh.