NGD: Foreclosure of a Dream-Guitar [Ibanez LACS content]

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by narad, Nov 2, 2017.

1. narad

narad SS.org Regular

Weellll what do we have here?

[​IMG]

Not every day you wind up getting a LACS, but there's quite a back-story of dedication to this particular guitar! So way back in the day, maybe like 6-7 years ago, I stumbled upon this photo online:

[​IMG]

I thought it was the nicest guitar I ever saw — like excalibur! It was Chris Broderick’s LACS RGA! So many things to want — a seven-string RGA, a trans-white finish, trans-black binding, my 2nd fav Ibanez trem… so I had my fingers-crossed for a few years that maybe they’d release it as a sig guitar, and then my hopes were shattered when he moved to Jackson and designed that weird offset shape.

So I started to think about getting a similar guitar custom-made. I had spec’d out a similar Suhr — as did one of his students — but I eventually gave up on that before realizing that Dylan @ Daemoness would probably build a killer version of the guitar. So fast forward a couple of years and it resulted in this:

[​IMG]

And I was pretty happy with that guitar and my only complaint was that it wasn’t an Ibanez-like playing experience with the neck a bit too different, the shape similar but more different than I’d have liked. But I still would have held on to it except that the thing about endorsements is that the move to Jackson meant that Chris wouldn’t be performing with the LACS and yada yada yada…wound up coming to live with me

The funny thing is that getting this guitar was kind of the end of a many-year dream of finally having this guitar I used to just stare at, but at the end of the day it’s just a guitar. In terms of overall quality, I’d have to put my ex-j-custom and ex-daemoness as both being higher quality guitars. Of course, this has seen some heavy use so it’s a bit hard to talk about — the fretboard edges are worn down a bit from being owned by an actual legendary player — but the j-custom fretwork was amazing, rounded ball ends, and the finish on that guitar was a super thin coat of crystal clear lacquer. You can tell the LACS is not quite there, and probably wasn’t quite at that level to begin with. But that’s comparing to one of my favorite guitars ever tbh.

In contrast to the Daemoness, Dylan did a stellar job in realizing what I was looking for, and I think the Daemoness build quality also has the LACS beat. Photos are one thing, but having held both in person, it’s really amazing how close Dylan came to what I was looking for, and my only complaint there is that the Daemoness neck specs aren’t very Ibanez, playing it doesn’t feel Ibanez at all to me, and that was what I was looking for. So now I’ve got a neck profile I gel a lot more with. Dylan/Phil nailed the trans-white with a bit more pop than the LACS team, and you can see that there was a lot more figure showing through (and a cool ghostly purple tint) to the previous press photos. Though I already kind of knew not to expect this from having bought Chris's tutorial videos where he uses the guitar.

But I’m being negative — I still think it’s aesthetically the most perfect superstrat type shape out there. Even when we say RGA, this RGA has different contours, maybe reminiscent of those Ola Washburns, but just all around more graceful contours. The pickups were just what I was after, moreso than the nailbombs in the Daemoness version. And the shape is wider/thinner, and a bit more comfortable than the Daemoness and way more than the j-custom RG. The binding is stained trans-black that I’ve had multiple luthiers say wasn’t going to be possible on trans-white (though of course Jackson does this also now). I'm just stunned every time I look at it, it still looks kind of awesomely majestic and classy.

Overall I’m very happy with it and just super appreciative that I actually had this opportunity. I just also think it’s funny that to see someone incredible on stage playing a guitar and thinking that some major guitar brand hand made that just for him, a ton of back and forth, etc., and you think it must be the perfect guitar but actually you can wind up with comparable guitars like all over the $2-3k range!

Anyway, some pics! Tried out my wide angle for some and distorted a bit:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Gravy Train

Gravy Train Night Fiddler

Holy poop. That is like staring into the heart of winter. HNGD!!!

narad likes this.
  3. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

Guitar buying Endgame... No... Praise your architecture of possession... No... That'd be more than 1320... No...

HNGD

4. cardinal

cardinal SS.org Regular

That's sooo nice. My fav Ibanez I think.

narad likes this.
  5. Leviathus

Leviathus Psychotic Monster

Sweet score +nice write up!

Enjoy it, HNDG! :hbang:

narad likes this.
  6. pylyo

pylyo SS.org Regular

Haha amazing!

I remember when Chris posted this fir the first time, it was the best looking Ibby ever, mind was blown.. HNGD!

narad likes this.
  7. IbanezDaemon

IbanezDaemon Raptus regaliter

Damn that is an amazing score!! Congratz!!! :)

narad likes this.
  8. Bdtunn

Bdtunn SS.org Regular

Wow that's always been one of my favourite guitars of all time!!
    Congrats

narad likes this.
  9. FitRocker33

FitRocker33 My tone is tighter than my hamstrings

How do all these artist LACS guitars wind up in civilian hands so often. Am I missing something here? Lol

10. narad

narad SS.org Regular

I think I explained it fairly well haha

The thing you don't see happening so often is current Ibanez artist LACS guitars winding up in civilian hands, but whether they move to another brand and can no longer play them out, or are no longer endorsed and just need cash, it's actually pretty hard to justify guys hanging on to them.

AxeHappy likes this.
  11. gingerman

gingerman SS.org Regular

I wasn't quite sure which guitar this is an NGD for until the very end of the post :)))

HNGD!

narad likes this.
  12. eelblack

eelblack SS.org Regular

Beautiful my friend. My deepest congrats, and if I may be so bold....dibs please!!

narad likes this.
  13. xzacx

xzacx SS.org Regular

Super cool man. Does it weigh a lot? I love my Jackson Broderick 7, but it's outrageously heavy. So much so that I don't play it as often as I'd like for that reason alone.

14. Jake

Jake GAS Master

Hooooooooly shit is more or less all I have to say. As a connoisseur of fine RGA's myself, I tip my cap to you sir. I would probably kill for a 6 stringer in this finish but Ibanez wants me to suffer :lol:

All of the congrats.

narad likes this.
  15. The 1

The 1 SS.org Regular

Both of those are beautiful. I love trans-white, it just looks elegant and not too flashy but still has a bit of pop.
    Also, this makes me want a RGA w/ reverse headstock, I think that's a winning combo for pointy superstrat shapes.

narad likes this.
  16. jerm

jerm SS.org Regular

Amazing! Enjoy

narad likes this.
  17. narad

narad SS.org Regular

Fair point - I was in a rush, so it wound up a more steam-of-consciousness review, and I see where it could get confusing (it confused me in reviewing it :p)

Ha, dude - there is a reason the rings of power are split amongst all the people/races! :D But yea, second-in-line dibs granted.

Yea it does a bit. I would say halfway between RG and les paul custom (6-strings). Even just the neck feels like it adds a lot of weight over a 6-string though.

As soon as I bought it Ibanez put out a J-custom in a kind of grey-ish blue that I think is pretty close, and J-custom quality - might be worth looking into. I would have bought one if not this. Funny that they have a trans-white satin RGA iron label now too though...they're getting close.

18. nikt

nikt LACS Lover

What a score. Congrats!

One of best designed LACS guitars IMO. Love the top and how the see thru white wash finish make the RGA contours pop up.

19. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep SS.org Regular

HNGD! Amazing guitar, looks great.

I remember drooling over the pics of this one myself. Like you, I was waiting for Ibanez to make a signature model out of this.... Damn.

20. crackout

crackout SS.org Regular

Looking good. The neck PU seems to be offset to the left a bit though.