NGD (first 7 string)

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by Kylefromhell, May 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kylefromhell

Kylefromhell SS.org Regular

Yo! So I’m still fairly new here, did a wee introductory post last week but hi to all I’ve not spoken to yet.
    As the title says this is my first 7 string instrument, I did a lot of shopping around and ended up finding an Ibanez RG7321 for £100, looking at prices this seemed a bargain so I pulled the trigger, got here today and here it is....
    A19ED292-D80B-481C-922C-97393658D37F.jpeg F6245743-BA55-425E-86E7-9FDC6E3D2941.jpeg FACAC095-6928-4828-AAB4-A641A7FAA593.jpeg F8175739-2F42-4AD3-B759-FC481B7A3B37.jpeg FEE82FB5-BD0A-4180-B403-BDC91CFDAB5A.jpeg 5BA03833-584E-4C90-99F8-A98BEAC811F4.jpeg
    It’s a bit dusty but it’s utterly flawless, for a 7 year old guitar I was expecting some pick scratches at least, but other than it being dusty it’s in tip top condition. Needless to say I’m stoked I would have liked something other than black but at the price and condition I can’t complain at all

Last edited: May 3, 2018
    AlexMg, fps, nedheftyfunk and 13 others like this.
  2. Wolfos

Wolfos Guitarded

Nice man the 7321 and 7421 models are solid. I've always loved them because their so cheap you dont feel bad to mess around with them and try things out.

There really great if you a bit technically inclined and can say crown your frets properly swap pickups out get locking tuners etc. I had a 7421 with one of the best feeling necks ever.

Kylefromhell likes this.
  3. Leviathus

Leviathus Psychotic Monster

HNGD and welcome!

I remember the first time i played a seven and it was a 7321, @Lasik124 still has it at his crib. Solid instruments, i've always been pleased with the low tier Ibanez's. Hope you enjoy it!

Kylefromhell likes this.
  4. odibrom

odibrom .

May she serve you well...

LeviathanKiller and Kylefromhell like this.
  5. Kylefromhell

Thanks folks, happy to be here.
    I got something as cheap as I could just in case I didn’t take to it well so I could flip it quickly if I needed to, but after noodling around all last night, I reckon I’m in it for the long haul, I’ve heard all kinds of horror story about basically relearning everything to adjust to the change in size so I was expecting to grab the neck and be totally daunted by it but honestly I was surprised how little the extra mass and wood on the neck got in the way and how easy to play it is.
    As noted above as well these have a reputation as solid modding platforms, first thing I’m doing is more than likely tuners and pickups, which btw if anyone has suggestions on I’m more than open to hear those

Last edited: May 4, 2018
    Mullet likes this.
  6. M3CHK1LLA

M3CHK1LLA angel sword guardian

congrats and welcome

great starter....if you end up hating 7's at least you didn't spend much and can easily recoup your money.

7. Wolfos

Wolfos Guitarded

Pickups are always personal preference but for tuning, any locking type tuner should be fine. I know planet waves has a nice set that also trims your string for a decent price.

Kylefromhell likes this.
  8. luislais

luislais nothing ever happens

What a bargain and great guitar!!! Congrats man!!!

Kylefromhell likes this.
  9. Flappydoodle

Flappydoodle SS.org Regular

Ahhh, the good old RG7321. I bet a LOT of here had that (or RG7421) as our first 7 string

You're right that it's easy to play as a first 7. The super thin neck really helps (whereas I pretty much hate that neck for 6 strings)

My major complaint about the guitar are that the stock pickups are TERRIBLE. Really really muddy on that low B. My second complaint is the plastic nut and cheap tuners. But for £100, you can't complain. You can pick up a TUSQ nut, exactly the right size for the RG7321 on eBay for about £10. That's a worthwhile investment IMO.

That guitar definitely needs a good clean. I'd strip off the strings, clean and polish the frets, take off the bridge and saddles and thoroughly clean them too. Tighten every screw (including the bolt on neck joint).

Enjoy!

Kylefromhell likes this.
  10. Kylefromhell

Wizard necks seem to divide opinions wuite often, it took a lot of getting used to for me when I first got an Ibanez, but at the Time it was the only guitar I had so I had to force myself out of my comfort zone. It makes a hell of a lot more sense on a 7 string though, nearly effortless to play.

As for the stock stuff, the timers are doing their job for the time being, took a LOT of turning to tune it up but once they were there, they’re holding up ok, they’ll get swapped eventually, same with the nut.

As for the stock pups..... well they’re not all that great, as you said, muddy as hell on the low B and I find their output in general a bit weak, so that’s one of the first things I’m doing, just mulling over whether it’s worth upgrading to BKP or Lundgrens or save a bit and get some Dimarzio’s.

So far other than that the only thing I’ve found that annoys me is the Gibraltar bridge tends to dig into my hand if I palm mute, there’s a pretty sharp corner on there that’s hardly comfortable so I’m finding myself consciously moving my hand back a bit from where it would naturally fall to avoid getting jabbed, I dunno if that’s a design issue or just poor technique on my part but I’ll need to see about swapping that for something more ergonomic.
    Overall though I’m happy with what I got, after a clean up and general service it plays well and looks good, can’t ask for much more than that :)

Last edited: May 4, 2018
    Mullet likes this.
  11. AdenM

AdenM Illuminaughty

Hipshot Ibby HM bridge as a potential future mod? I just found out about these and I have realized I need more fixed bridge Ibanez guitars to put them on.

Kylefromhell likes this.
  12. Kylefromhell

That’s definitely an option mate, I’ve been pricing some hipshot tuners so I migh factor in a bridge for a full set

13. Mullet

Mullet SS.org Regular

Big congratulations mate! That’s a fine looking axe that is in need of a good clean!

Kylefromhell likes this.
  14. SJShinn

SJShinn SS.org Regular

For that price, cant go wrong with a 7321.

Kylefromhell likes this.
  15. 7 Dying Trees

7 Dying Trees Forum MVP

7th Ethereal Plane of interstellar hell, Innit Bru
    Great bases for modding. As people have said, upgrade nut, tuners and the bridge pickup and it'll be a solid playing and sounding guitar.

Should be able to pick up a decent dimarzio/seymour duncan for 35-50£ second hand, no need to go all out on bareknuckles/flavour-of-the-month pickups unless you really want to.

Kylefromhell likes this.
  16. Kylefromhell

Yeah, I factored in the price of bareknuckles but I’ve seen a few dimarzios for cheap that are tempting, I just need to do more research to figure what I’m looking for out if a pickup before I pull the trigger either way

17. 7 Dying Trees

7 Dying Trees Forum MVP

7th Ethereal Plane of interstellar hell, Innit Bru
    Have had a few bkps, didn't get on with them. Nice and all, but just always ended up back with dimarzios.

If you're on a low to medium budget I'd say it's best to just buy second hand dimarzio/seymour duncans, try them, and sell if you don't like, and that way changing your pickups is just going to cost you postage, plus, you get to find out first hand what you do and don't like.

The, when you've got an idea, then go buy expensive ones if you really need them, but money is best put into other things first most of the time.

I'd definitely just get a blaze (bridge), ev07, titan7 or inoizer7 into the bridge. All of them are nice, all of them will sort out the low end nicely too.

Leviathus likes this.
  18. Agoraphobia

Agoraphobia Who? What? When? Where? Why?

I personally use Hipshot Grip-Lock tuners on all my guitars, along with some form of Hipshot bridge. They're solid and cheap. As for pickups, I mostly use Bare Knuckles or Seymour Duncans, but I have a seven with Dimarzio Ionizers that sound great.

19. Kylefromhell

So I settled on this guy for the bridge....
    B8B59C38-0008-4C7B-BFB5-BFE6D69103A9.jpeg
    Heard nothing but good things, for what I’m intending for sound it seems to fit the bill perfectly on paper, plus if I hate it they seem to sell pretty well on the used market

ImNotAhab likes this.
  20. Mike_R

Mike_R SS.org Regular

Excellent choice on both the guitar and pickup. I have a Nazgul in my seven and I love the output. I think you will be very pleased.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.