NGD: FINALLY Got A Seven String

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by Homebrew1709, Dec 25, 2010.

1. Homebrew1709

Homebrew1709 SS.org Regular

Well, I finally did it! Picked up a super-clean '98 Black RG7620 through a Craigslist deal yesterday. Not a single scratch, chip or dent on it! Not just my first seven string, but also my first Floyd Rose equipped guitar. Does anyone know what pickups might be in it? The only things I know for sure are that it's made in '98, has the Lo-Pro bridge and has Gotoh tuners. Where can I find some more info about it? Anyways, I took some crappy pics even though I haven't had a chance to wipe it down yet. I'm looking forward to the challenges and opportunities of playing with a 7th string after 13 years of playing on 6..Hooray for me! :shred:

Attached Files:

2. Tones

Tones Red paperclip trader

Welcome to the club brah.
    Assuming they're stock pickups, they are called Dimarzio New 7's. which was specifically made for the 7620. Honestly.... I really like them. I don't know why people are so quick to swap them out.

3. ENGLShred7

ENGLShred7 How Do I Djent?

Congrats man! The 7620 is a fantastic guitar and to find one in such great condition is amazing. I'm sure you'll love it. IMO, I'd swap out the pickups, but there are lots of people (such as the post above me) who like the sound of them so I guess it really depends on what kind of sound you're going for.

4. November5th

November5th Old Shredder

Great score for you first 7-String.Put some Lundgren's or Bare Knuckles in it,and it will truly destroy.Peace.

5. Evil7

Evil7 LowCrushingMetal

Nice!!!!

6. beneharris

beneharris SS.org Regular

that is a nice guitar :hbang: this site would actually be a real good place to get info on it

7. Homebrew1709

Thanks for the kind words. Of course, as soon as I go to tune the damn thing, the high E snaps at the tuning peg. I guess that's what happens when the strings haven't been changed in years lol. I tried to take the string off but the saddle bolt doesn't seem to want to budge. My allen wrench might be .5 mm too small, but it seems like it's still a little jammed. Any suggestions on how to safely loosen the saddle bolts?

8. JamesM

JamesM The Armada

Use the right size allen wrench? :) And WD-40 won't hurt the unit.

9. Homebrew1709

Well the allen wrench I tried to use was large enough that it certainly gripped the bolt. I torqued it pretty damn hard and it wouldn't budge. Where would I hit the bridge with the WD40?

10. JamesM

JamesM The Armada

Well, you are adjusting the saddle, right? Squirt some into the pivot at that point.

Or just wait a bit for MaxOfMetal to come on. Max is the Trem God. :)

11. Homebrew1709

I found the '98 Ibanez catalog and says the 7620 came with Dimarzio Blaze pickups. I've never heard of New 7's.

12. CooleyJr

CooleyJr Banned

New 7's are blazes.. just a dumbed down version for Ibanez. Congrats though! 7620s are the shit.