NGD Fan Fret Harley Benton!

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by zarg, Dec 1, 2017.

1. zarg

zarg guitar and computer nerd

Hi dudes!

So finally after a long wait I received my guitar! I found it used and knew I had to get it. I borrowed a Schecter seven string from a friend for a while and it was great fun, I loved playing some Epica, Trivium and Amon Amarth stuff on it.... I knew I need a seven myself.
    I never had a fan fret in my hands so I was stocked to check one out, I found this used online for 150€... pretty good deal, I'd say! (it has a lacquer chip right by the neck pocket, doesn't bother me)

I didn't do much playing yet, and heard the pickups aren't the greatest but it's my first seven and my first fan fret and I just want to get into it - it doesn't have to be the best. It makes a good impression and after an initial setup it plays very well, for some reason the action was pretty high when I got it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

I prefer this one to the brand new 2018 announced models.
    Just make sure you upgrade the tuners first and foremost. The stock ones are terrible.

Such an amazing guitar at an amazing price though. congrats dude.

zarg likes this.
  3. Zhysick

Zhysick Sick of all

I got mine just two weeks ago... Plays great! Stock pups aren't that bad BUT for recording... well, just burn them. Mine have 2 frets a little bit high but with more than acceptable action it doesn't kill the note at all so very good for the price. Just thinking in swapping the pups and all great.

Congrats!

zarg likes this.
  4. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

Man, that color is incredible! I just checked Thomann, and it looks like they’re not doing that color anymore. Which is a shame, because that’s beautiful.

zarg likes this.
  5. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

They still have this model in stock dude -

https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_fanfret_7_tpb_dlx.htm?ref=search_rslt_fan+fret_396690_1

And they have the 2018 re released updated version here -

(Basically the same but the red is more RED, it has lockers from stock, ABM style rounded saddles and the pickups are open coil)

https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_fanfret_7_tpb_2018_dlx.htm?ref=search_rslt_fan+fret_422471_2

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

EDIT: -

Strobe and Hollowway like this.
  6. Zhysick

Zhysick Sick of all

As I expected the new pickups are not any good anyway and that's why I bought the 2017 model... easier and mainly A LOT cheaper to buy "active pups" (or active sized passive pups) compared to passive-slanted pups for the 2018 model so... for me zarg and myself... we won! :D

lewis and zarg like this.
  7. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

Ah, ok. Dang, the one in the OP is way more pinky. The reddish is nice, but that pink magenta is amazing!

8. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

yeah all the 2017 models came out pink like that.

If you want that finish, jump on the 2017 one I posted ;)

Hollowway likes this.
  9. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire 8 string hoarder

HNGD! that color is killer, especially on a guitar in that price range. methinks it's time to build a pinkburst guitar hmmm...

10. Dawn of the Shred

Dawn of the Shred Scooped All The Mids

11. zarg

so I came to the conclusion that I want to switch pickups since they are really bad. I think an EMG would fit in that route, but I'm sure I could get a regular passive to fit in there, right? I don't mind some modding to make it work

lewis likes this.
  12. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

As far as i know regular open coil looking pickups fit in active route fine but there is just abit more space all the way around them than normal so they just look abit gappy.

EMGs will fit no problem as would fishman or anything else. The issue is is the cavity in the back big enough for everything needed for active pickups? Thats a million dollar question.

zarg likes this.
  13. zarg

good to hear, I will most likely throw a passive bridge humbucker in, since I only want to replace the bridge one first and as passive I can leave the neck pickup connected. the cavity of those things looks pretty brutal tbh. it looks like they tried to route as little wood as possible, with the pots sitting in what looks like drilled holes. You could probably fit a 9V block in there, but for example a 18V mod would be impossible. But I might look into a DiMarzio or Duncan... next stop for me is Keith Merrow's video comparing 7 string duncans.

lewis likes this.
  14. vansinn

vansinn ShredNeck into Beck

Those HB's looks quite good; I'm getting interested, and can only hope they'll serve well enough as Ibby/Agile hybrids..

Say.. extra space around passives.. that's a job for that 3D printer you always wanted ;)
    (which you can afford now that you just saved $2500 down from a high-end axe)

zarg likes this.
  15. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

They are really similar to Agile in build quality and how solid they are.

They look lovely in person too and as you say the money saved makes these an amazing mod platform.

zarg likes this.
  16. zarg

Just ordered a used Duncan Pegasus for a good price, shipping will take a while but I'm excited!

AkiraSpectrum, Zoobiedood and lewis like this.
  17. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

oh thats going to be awesome in these guitars.

I actually like that those are lower output.

EDIT: Look forward to the update and review of the pup in this

zarg likes this.
  18. Wolfhorsky

Wolfhorsky Regular idiot

I must say that this is the best looking 150€ ever. Enjoy it, mate.

zarg and lewis like this.
  19. BillNephew

BillNephew SS.org Regular

One of the reviews on Thomann said that the neck humbucker was too bright whereas the bridge was muddy. Maybe switching the pickups around would remedy some of the tone problems.

20. zarg

just a few thoughts gathered while playing on this weekend:

the intonation was way off when I took the pictures in the first post. the low B string is now almost at the end of the intonation range and it's just intonated right at the moment. the string is a .58, which I woulnd't classify as super beefy. I'm currently using thicker strings than I usually would and once I swap pickups I will get some regular Daddario 10s on there instead of the power slinkys it has right now.

the pickup route is slanted but a straight passive should be no problem, the strings most likely wont line up with the pole pieces but what gives.

the fan fret experience is very natural, I didn't have to adjust for it, rather just for the scale length since I'm used to only 25,5" guitars.

the neck felt kind of weird, but after a few passes of 600 grit it's almost as comfortable as the wizard on my ibby.

many reported that it was very heavy, mine is 3,4kg which is fine to me.

while I don't see much of an issue with the tuners yet, nut binding is a problem especially on the D and G string since they don't have straight stringpull through the nut.... some filing and lubrication should fix that. it's also on my list.

I will definitely do a sound demo once I get the pegasus in there. the used market for 7er humbuckers is tiny here so I got one from across the pond, therefore it will need about 2 weeks of shipping.

I also included some more detailed pictures of the guitar. If you have any questions about it, maybe you're on the fence of getting one, ask ahead!

cheers!

Attached Files:

AkiraSpectrum and Dcm81 like this.