NGD - Fan fret Baritone 6 string! (Charcoal burst)

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by lewis, Dec 8, 2017.

1. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire gearwhoricus americanus

don't know if they carry frog brand painter's tape over in the UK but it's the best painter's tape I've ever used. I've gotten maybe one bleed on one body out of the 4 I'm working on right now, and that was more due to me not taping the area as well as I could have.

downburst82 likes this.
  2. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

I will look for that brand specifically next time thanks for the heads up.
    I did get Painters tape But I think it was just unbranded. It doesnt appear to be very sticky at all and just peeled badly.

3. indreku

indreku SS.org Regular

Happy to see other HB 6 string FF users,
    Have also mine(use to have actually 2 of them, but sold the second to fund an ew gutiar), thou now it is a back-up as, I got an ormsby FF 6 stringer.
    I upgraded mine with Lace Deathbuckers and installed an LED killswitch to it. They are a really good instruments for the money and as I've owned 2 saw that there was not much of a quality drop. The second one was more lighter in paint job, so it was more greenish than the main one.

One day I would like to get the 2018 version for home practice.

lewis likes this.
  4. downburst82

downburst82 SS.org Regular

Haven't tried it with guitars but im a handyman who does alot of painting and frogtape is all I will use anymore. It works far better than everything else ive tried. Only thing that sucks is it is the most expensive. I was able to order a bunch a few years ago at an amazing price but reccently ran out and haven't been able to find where I ordered from before.

TLDR: Frogtape is good stuff.

lewis and KnightBrolaire like this.
  5. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

anyone got any advice on removing the bleed on the side/back of the neck that has happened.
    Its bad enough that I want to get rid, but not bad enough that I want to tackle the "remove neck and sand and stain the entire thing black" thing.

Is there a cleaning agent?. Does those "magic sponges" work?. Pencil erasers?. Will I have to lightly sand?.

6. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire gearwhoricus americanus

try some 0000 steel wool or some denatured alcohol.

downburst82 and lewis like this.
  7. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

I have a huge bag of this stuff so I will give that a go today. Thank you!

8. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

EDIT:

Steel Wool worked like a damn charm! Thanks alot @KnightBrolaire

downburst82 likes this.
  9. gujukal

gujukal SS.org Regular

Looks nice! I dunno why but i would make that finish matte if i owned it, probably with some steel wool.

lewis likes this.
  10. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

funny you say that, the brand new 2018 version of these guitars IS Satin finish!

[​IMG]

11. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Got finished and got the guitar cleaned up and restrung.

Got to say, this came out so so well. I have ordered some Osmo PolyX Black Oil stain for next re-string to "Seal" the fretboard and protect it so it remains BLACK!!!!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

REMOVED ALL BLEED!. Really chuffed the Steel Wool suggestion worked this well!! /\

[​IMG]

/\ Here you can see the issue wit the dot Inlays. Clearly they cracked 2 on install which is why the dye has completely blacked out half of them and wiping wouldnt work, and the last fret dot they installed and sunk it in too low so the board is actually higher than the dot inlay. Meaning the dye got in and around it.

Ive changed my plan for this. Im going to buy the 12 pack of white (that glow green) Luminlay inlay dots!!

Mods still to do:
    White EMGs
    81 bridge 89R Neck (Volume pot is push/pull)
    thinking the new EMG Killswitch button instead of tone (then swap the positions around)
    Possibly white pearloid tuner buttons
    white strap
    Graphtech String Saver Saddles

downburst82 and zarg like this.
  12. gingerman

gingerman SS.org Regular

Looks really good, congrats!
    I'm now off to see the full line of guitars HB offer...

lewis likes this.
  13. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

edit:
    Still not dark enough for me personally. Going to get the Minwax ebony pen to do the sides of the fretboard and another coat or 2 on the top (and this time leave to dry overnight) then seal it with the OSMO Oil tint (which I now have)
    my new green Luminlay dot inlays are on the way too.

14. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Luminlay green glow dot inlays have arrived!
    Will be installing them real soon.

15. Dcm81

Dcm81 SS.org Regular

Really glad you got a usable guitar! Unbeatable at that price......IF it's playable.
    I ordered the 7-string version, which they had in their "QC departement" for 2 weeks (although marked as in stock) and when it arrived the action was higher than Cheech & Chong and there were chips all over the fretboard - completely acceptable at that price point I thought - exept about 10-15 dead frets spread all over making it completely unplayable. After trying to fight my way through the piss-taking hell that is their non-existent customer service, I told them to go fuck themselves and keep their shit and got a SLAT7-FF instead :cond:

lewis likes this.
  16. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

haha that blows man. normally their customer service is great and you can just keep getting unlimited replacements until you get one with the card that says it was QC inspected before being shipped.

Mine is extremely playable and had literally no damage anywhere despite being listed as B stock... so I got quite lucky. Even the way it was packaged was atrocious compared to their normal standards. Not sure how it wasnt snapped in half upon delivery.

I just need to adjust my truss rod now because I will be putting thicker strings on it. Ive already swapped out the tuners to lockers.
    Once this fretboard/dot inlay mod is done and sealed with oil to stop it from leaving the board, I will then get the electronics all done.

p.s man the Slat FF is awesome!. Love that colour too. I have the non fan fret Slatt slime green with maple board 7. Lovely guitar.

Dcm81 likes this.
  17. Dcm81

Dcm81 SS.org Regular

It was basically just their utter complacency to the huge delays that made me give up on it. I was otherwise well impressed with the guitar for that price and liked the feel of it. I really wanted a replacement but after their attitude to the situation there was no way I was giving them a penny. As it’s their own brand though, I can’t get one elsewhere. The whole thing really bummed me out but I ended up with the Jackson so all for the best I think:lol: The neck and upper fret access is insane and the finish is great irl - the metallic flakes really pop - love it!

I like the way you upgrade/diy your cheaper guitars like the „Strandberg“ you recently got. Keep it up man!

lewis likes this.
  18. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

thanks dude!. Appreciate that. And will do. I try to be honest too. If something I get is shit, I will point out its flaws to help others.

For the money I just cant complain about these Harley Benton axes. :)

19. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

ran through 2 of my bands songs earlier (tight rhythms only)
    1 take wonder style

Downpicks for days

chain is
    Fan Fret 6 > Line 6 G10 wireless > Kemper > Randall Thrasher profile > Randall T2 for Power > Line 6 4x12 with V30 + K100 x Pattern

Dcm81 and zarg like this.
  20. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

"Ebonized" the sides of the fretboard each side, and taped off/sanded back any bleed for a nice straight finish.

Got the stock dot inlays out ready for the green Luminlay's to go in, but first. A coat of OSMO Polyx ebony tint to help seal the stain in!!!.

The tiny "test" sachets of this stuff is more than enough to cover probably 2 fretboards for anyone that is interested.
    (Excuse shit Samsung S4 camera pics)
    -
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    (yep tool marks /\ it is the first time Ive ever tried this so excuse my sloppiness. I did carefully drill into them, then screwed a screw into them until they fractured, then used a tiny flat screwdriver to dig them out. I guess I angled the screwdriver too much and levered into the sides in places. Oh well. Will try and do a better job next time

[​IMG]
    perfectly straight, ebony looking sides!

once everything is dry and the dots are in. Im them going to tape everything up and polish the frets!.

still got to get String saver saddles, white pickups and pearloid tuner buttons left to buy. Im also considering getting a white pearloid sheet and cut out a new truss rod cover.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018