NGD: ESP Original Series... Again.

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by Crash Dandicoot, Nov 10, 2018 at 6:55 PM.

1. Crash Dandicoot

Crash Dandicoot » Supra-ise!

I know why you're here. Let's not play games:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sniped a 2018 Original Series Snapper off of Ishibashi the other week. Having been completely blown away by the quality of my Horizon, I felt the need to round out the stable with a more versatile offering from ESP. While not my first color choice the price and timing was beyond perfect, so...you know how it goes. So far it's very much more of the same in terms of quality - it's wonderful to play and the neck is pure bliss - the Thin U with a raw finish is divine. All of the ergonomics missing from my ESP Ron Wood are corrected here and I couldn't be happier. The heel carve is particularly nice, no obstruction of upper register access whatsoever and the carve on the rear of the lower horn is perfectly accentuated.

One interesting point of note is the Flicker-III bridge; I haven't seen any in-depth reviews of ESP's in-house vintage trem. It uses a center hinge mechanism with bearings and is incredibly smooth. The tuning stability (coupled with the locking Gotohs, naturally) is about what you'd expect - not as rock solid as a Floyd but very consistent. She handles substantial divebombs without issue. The material used throughout is all top notch, as well: stainless steel trem arm and saddles, a large brass block, etc. It uses ESP's "Tone Springs", which I can't say are anything special at first glance. They're silent, which is very nice, however I think the name might me a bit misleading.

It's got some neat wiring, too. A "mix variation" mini switch that operates in a similar manner to the Ibanez AZs mini switch - essentially more coil selection options. It also has a push-push pot on the tone knob, which from my understanding switches between two different capacitors of different values. It's honestly a very subtle difference, though when playing cleans it's a tad bit more handy when trying to really dial it in. It's also got Luminlay side dots, which is a huge plus for me.

The Seymour Duncan 59/Custom Hybrid and Vintage Hot Stack Plus combo is supremely versatile, from 80's shred to the shimmering cleans, especially coupled with all the wiring options. I wouldn't recommend them for serious chugga chugga, but in standard tuning they're very suitable for all sorts of sounds. The acoustic resonance is seriously noteworthy, possibly more than my Horizon. Damn near sounds like a semi-hollow unplugged.

Not everything is flawless, though. The condition of the instrument itself is immaculate, though I may have had too high of expectations - the fret ends are very smooth, no doubt, just not as much as my Horizon. It's a noticeable difference but I have to stress, they are still very good. It's just that my Horizon's frets were shaped by angels, apparently. They feel very on par with various Suhrs and are certainly nicer than most every Prestige I've played, and a number of J. Customs. Honestly, I don't have any other complaints. It's an unreal instrument, through and through.

All in all I'm very happy so far. The top's figuring is pretty damn nice, IMO - maybe I'll see if Spongebrick at ESP USA wants to do a sick refinish someday!

Bonus shots of the two OGs:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

3. Dineley

Dineley SS.org Regular

4. jephjacques

jephjacques BUTTS LOL

5. mlp187

mlp187 Burrito Master Contributor

Beautiful. Congrats. I know you said it’s not flawless and that’s a bummer. Glad it’s nothing too serious.

6. Dineley

Dineley SS.org Regular

Looks awesome, btw... the Horizon you got looks sooooooooooooo much better than the stock one, I went to their page to check what it looked like stock was oh so disappointing.

7. feraledge

feraledge Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?

Wow. Fucking great pair right there. Kudos, those are amazing. Lemme grab a mop.

8. AdenM

AdenM Illuminaughty

Too many amazing quilts in one post, goddamn!

9. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

10. Crash Dandicoot

Thanks, guys. @feraledge Much appreciated, though you still have the nicest Horizon in this hemisphere!

feraledge likes this.
  11. feraledge

There's room in my heart for all the Horizons, but it is wrong to say that I agree? :agreed:

Crash Dandicoot likes this.
  12. Wolfhorsky

Wolfhorsky Regular idiot

:holy:That blue one has insane quilt. WANT.:wag::shred:

13. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

The lettering on your headstock is approved by the ESP logo police despite a previous infringement. Move along.

14. couverdure

couverdure No Gear Day

That's a nice Snapper you have there, they seem to be one of the nicest modern-but-not-so-super-strats available.

On the topic of Snappers, the Tae Hanazono model made me appreciate them a lot.
    [​IMG]

15. feraledge

Just came back to look again. I can’t wait to see the maple wear on your fretboad over time. Will get even more magical.

16. BryanM7

BryanM7 SS.org Regular

I really dig that bridge. Awesome guitar. Congrats.

17. Crash Dandicoot

I like both, but I concur that the original style is best. The cursive type suits the newer Horizons, IMO.

Man, I swear can feel it happening on the fretboard, albeit incredibly slowly. The raw finish just has a different feel to it - worn maple necks are one of my favorite things.

It's supremely comfortable, too. The curves of the main assembly fit into the meat of the palm of my have like they were meant for each other. I'm still a Floyd guy but it's certainly a nice bit of variety.

AkiraSpectrum likes this.