NGD: Come out and playeeyaay [Jackson CS Content]

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by narad, Oct 29, 2017.

1. narad

narad SS.org Regular

You know, like "The Warriors"?

So I've moved back to the states and there's been a massive influx (and outflux) of gear over the past two weeks. One of things I've been excited about is finally getting hands-on with Jackson custom shop warrior WR1, and with this warrior in particular, which I've been chasing for the past three owners. I really liked the specs -- usually quilt warriors are trans-black, and come with chrome hardware -- this I thought worked well with the EMGs (and everyone playing metal should have something with 81/85s in it lying around!).

My first surprise is that warriors are now like my favorite shape :) I would argue that they are the best style guitar for a classic style playing position that I've ever experienced. Better than ergo guitars like strandberg which are designed specifically with that in mind. And it feels badass like an explorer, but obviously much lighter and easy to move around. I would seriously consider getting a custom warrior 7 in the future.

I also thought it was interesting to get this vs. my Daemonesses. When you play a Jackson CS I feel you really see where Dylan is coming from, especially with the neck shape, the thick slab fretboard, the wider board. I feel like it's a very Daemoness experience. So the neck is very comfortable for a 6, and thicker than a wizard. But Jackson fretwork seems not as good as Daemoness or my J-custom, and there are some sharp edges that are noticeable when moving along the treble side of the neck. Remaining build quality seems good, apart from some stuff probably done by previous owners.

As a side note, I was told the guitar was "almost mint" and it showed up with a couple small but deep scratches on the top, and a big dent/bubble in the clearcoat on the binding, about the size of a fingernail. I've chosen photos that don't really show this -- they're just supposed to be pretty. But this is pretty unfun because I traded for this guitar, and just trading back means that two guitars have been mailed two times just to get back to before -- obviously a pretty bad outcome. And you can ask for cash back, but actually repairing something like that is probably $4-600 I imagine, and means redoing a whole lot of the finish that actually is near mint. But this is the first time I've been in this scenario -- and maybe the first time I did a trade + cash for another guitar -- so I'm curious if anyone's been in that situation, how it turned out. The seller refunded me the amount of cash off I asked for, but wondering about others' experiences.

Here's some photos. New flat means I have no idea where to pose this thing, so I tried out some different options, white balance all over the place. Actually think it tends to look better in person because it is darker and you don't see the details of the quilt so much (which is not amazing quality, but looks great peaking out under the darker burst.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. jerm

jerm SS.org Regular

Holy hell. That looks bloody amazing. Wouldn've even care about a couple scratches/dings, none of them show.

3. The 1

The 1 SS.org Regular

Looks awesome. Do you happen to know the weight? I'm curious how they compare to other shapes.

4. feraledge

feraledge Black Walnut Pounding Bragger Contributor

That’s absolutely killer!
    Unfortunate about the condition and the fret ends. I’ve owned a handful of US Jackson’s and never had issues with fret ends, so CS issues, that’s a bummer.
    I’d ask for some cash back. Undoing a trade is a hassle, but mailing a Warrior shape is going to be even more money, so the selling party surely has some skin in the game, plus you’ve stated the condition isn’t as advertised. $400-600 is probably a big ask, but when I’ve had issues with condition on a guitar in the mid-$1k range I’ve gotten $100-200 back, so unless you got some crazy deal, maybe that isn’t asking for too much back. Hard to put out numbers without more details.
    Hope the hassle doesn’t wreck the experience, cuz that Warrior slays.

5. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

I...i dont know...what to say.
    Just..wow...

6. Wolfhorsky

Wolfhorsky Regular idiot

That color and quilt. Looks like liquid hell.

narad and lewis like this.
  7. Humbuck

Humbuck SS.org Regular

One of the world's greatest "pointy guitars" and that's a really nice example!

8. xzacx

xzacx SS.org Regular

I’m not really into quilt tops, or red guitars, but this comes together so well. Sucks to hear about the issues though. I agree though that WRs are super comfortable to play - probably a close second only to KVs for me, but I’m a big fan of both.

9. FitRocker33

FitRocker33 My tone is tighter than my hamstrings

If that thing had a fixed bridge I'd be @ full chub right now. Just killer.

lewis likes this.
  10. jephjacques

jephjacques BUTTS LOL

Warriors are the most comfortable guitars.

11. silverabyss

silverabyss J. Custom taste, Gio budget Contributor

Interesting thoughts about the body shape ergonomics, HNGD

12. Gravy Train

Gravy Train Night Fiddler

13. Dawn of the Shred

Dawn of the Shred MIW Creature

Damn!!!!! That’s very nice man.
    Congrats!!

14. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Blames it on "the rain"

Excellent guitar man! I totally read the thread title in Ol’ Dirty Bastard’s voice haha. Happy NGD

15. ramses

ramses Guitar/pizza regular

Welcome back, Narad!

... oh, and very sexy axe!

16. ThePhilosopher

ThePhilosopher Reason User Contributor

That's awesome, I've always wanted to try a Warrior. Also a grey card will help get consistent white balance as you change lighting situations.

narad likes this.
  17. narad

narad SS.org Regular

But I didn't post the pics where they do :p

I'm afraid not but it is surprisingly light. I don't know what my explorers are, but I would guess 10-11lbs. This is probably 7-8lbs.

Thanks man! Buying gear in the UK is tough!

18. bloc

bloc tha vagina finda

Looks like the only thing you'll be able to play on it is blues and jazz man

19. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

My favourite NGD post for a long time!

narad likes this.
  20. Kyle-Vick

Kyle-Vick SS.org Regular

Good lord...Looks like I need a Warrior now.