NGD Charvel Govan Baked Ash

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by Andrew Lloyd Webber, Feb 28, 2018.

1. Rawkmann

Rawkmann SS.org Regular

In the first pic the action looks pretty dang low already but I've honestly never gotten action like what's in the second pic. Even my best playing Ibanez's and the one Vigier I had couldn't go that low without seriously affecting the tone. Definitely hats off if the Govan can go that low without buzzing and rattling all over the neck.

2. groverj3

groverj3 Biologist/Guitarist

I once built a parts guitar with locking tuners, a roller nut, and a wilkinson bridge. It was a pretty sweet setup. It wasn't capable of making the strings completely flop around like a standard locking nut + floyd would, but I imagine that a roller nut here would be an immediate improvement.

Otherwise, when it comes to bridge setup I think this can be described as "not the guitar for you." Nor I, for that matter. This is for those that inexplicably don't like Floyds but still want a tremolo on their guitar.

As far as the action is concerned, it looks great! The pickup height is an annoyance, but I think the expectation here is to shim the neck as you did.

It looks beautiful, but I wouldn't buy one myself. Certainly not for the prices they retail for. However, Guthrie is a magician with it and I guess he can play what he likes. I'm sure there are many out there that would think this thing is the best. Hell, maybe I'd even like it. I think my local shop has one. I'll see about taking it for a test drive, haha.

3. Possessed

Possessed SS.org Regular

I had a GG charvel basswood version. No issue at all. Action is very low, sounds great and play great. I think many users will agree with me. So no idea what happened to your guitar.
    As for tuning stability goes, I did dive bomb on both my gg charvel and suhr modern and both were out of the tune. So if you want perfect tuning, go fix or locking nut.

PBGas likes this.
  4. Possessed

Possessed SS.org Regular

Double post, sorry

5. ArtDecade

ArtDecade Unhindered by Talent

The guitar has the same idiosyncrasies as her designer.
    What works for Guthrie probably won't work for me, but it certainly works for him. Brilliant player and musician.

Matt08642 likes this.
  6. MatthewK

MatthewK SS.org Regular

Yikes. Non-adjustable pickups? That's whacky.

7. xzacx

xzacx SS.org Regular

Guess I had a lot different experience with mine too - one of the best bolt-ons I've ever played, second only to Tylers (which, to be fair, are twice as expensive).

Possessed likes this.
  8. Curt

Curt Where we're going we don't need neck pickups

Major WTF on the bridge pickup rout. Also, as far as that trem goes, there are 3 questions I have for Guthrie and Charvel.

1. Why would you make an OEM version of a more or less already existing bridge when you can just get the actual Floyd Rose version?
    2. Why would you choose the gimped Floyd Rose as a model for said bridge if you aren't really going to change most of the specs that matter?
    3. Why would you not just use the Gotoh 510? An excellent non-locking trem to begin with. Guthries Suhrs all had them, right?

Mathemagician likes this.
  9. Possessed

Possessed SS.org Regular

1 FR radius doesnt match fingerboard
    2 Same as 1
    3 less friction because no 90 degree bend of the string

GG has explained many times in the video

10. Curt

Curt Where we're going we don't need neck pickups

By OP's wording, I assumed the radius of the bridge was 10" just like the normal floyd rose variant. Fair enough.

11. Possessed

Possessed SS.org Regular

At least I can lower middle pu A LOT in GG Charvel. Not like suhr, almost no adjustment on middle pu.

12. aceinet

aceinet SS.org Regular

I just have to say bravo to the write up. Way over the top, in a good way. Thank You for the insight.

13. Andrew Lloyd Webber

Andrew Lloyd Webber Part-time Elon Musk impersonator

It’s strictly my own technique and setup preference - Most would consider the factory height low, but my preferring it lower served to highlight the odd choice to have the frets leveled to a QC standard greater than what the protruding bridge humbucker allows. If anything, it speaks highly of Charvel’s US-line fretwork, in general. For the record, other people buzz all over the place when they play my guitars, and I tend to spot-level frets until the fingerboard radius dictates how low I can set the strings (If I can bend a major 2nd without fretting out, I’m good - If a song requires a bend of a minor 3rd or more, I either raise the action or use a flat-fingerboard guitar).

I generally don’t complain about fretwork in a review unless the factory QC action spec is for the sake of passing uneven frets on a guitar specced or advertised as having “low” action (such as one with a conical or 20” radius board). That frothing Possessed guy should be happy to know I still consider Charvel’s fretwork among the best I’ve seen, even if it’s squandered on this particular model.

Speaking as someone whose whole gimmick is being a semianonymous reactive asshole, I don’t know what to say to a compliment.

14. 7 Strings of Hate

7 Strings of Hate Mid-Level Asshole Contributor

Govan Schmovan, lets talk about that Parker :drool:

Ebony likes this.
  15. Andrew Lloyd Webber

Not much to say: It used to be yours. I sold the original components, put a Gravity Storm set in there with a coil split and Graphtech 13 pin-setup, and let a bunch of Laffy Taffys melt on it.

Randy likes this.
  16. mastapimp

mastapimp SS.org Regular

I also have the basswood w/ birdseye top and don't have most of the issues brought up with this ash model.

I have moderately low action and my humbuckers are sitting lower in the routing than what's shown in the photos. I don't think the height of my bridge is that far off from what i'm seeing in the pics, and the top bobbin is about flush with the bottom of the cap screws meets chrome that set the intonation.

As for the nut, it's the set up great for 10's, and I haven't had any tuning/trem issues. I do lubricate the string contacts with "nut sauce" every time I change the strings, so maybe that's the missing ingredient. While not quite as stable as a real Floyd, it takes some abuse before going ever so slightly out of tune.

I will agree that the pickups, especially the bridge, are an acquired taste. Took me a while to get some profiles that gelled with the electronics on my Kemper.

Too bad this guitar is such a headache...I still enjoy my first generation charvel GG sig model.

17. Lemons

Lemons SS.org Regular

Wow I was really with you there for a while, it seemed like an entertaining and informed review but this really let the whole thing down. The proper term would be an augmented 4th, buy another expensive guitar and try harder next time.

0/10 :noway:

Avedas and Andrew Lloyd Webber like this.
  18. Andrew Lloyd Webber

It’s true - I had a brain fart and wrote “major” where nothing was needed. I don’t recall if the pull-up maxed out at a TT or P5 on the G.

Clearly - This followed an essay about how great it is.

Lemons likes this.
  19. Sogradde

Sogradde SS.org Regular

Where are the pumpkins?

20. beerandbeards

beerandbeards Majestic Shoveler

You want a toe? I can get you a toe, believe me. There are ways, Dude. You don't wanna know about it, believe me.