NGD Bowes Wenge-7

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by Nicki, Jun 2, 2012.

1. Nicki

Nicki SS.org Regular

If any of you guys have checked out the reviews section, you'll find a review for a guitar done by Bowes. He's a good friend of mine who's graciously given me a former build of his for only the cost of the hardware.

The guitar isn't in my possession yet, but will be sometime next week. The pickups won't be the same when I get it (the ones in this pic were transferred to another build), but I'll give a spec update on what Brian decided to put in this guitar when I receive it and take some pics with it at that time.

[​IMG]

The guitar is extremely well build and I can't wait to get my hands on it again since the last time I played this monster was a couple of years ago.

Here's a picture of someone that some of you may recognize playing a Bowes guitar :)

[​IMG]

2. mhickman2

mhickman2 The Abiding Dude

That thing looks smooth!

3. WillDfx

WillDfx SS.org Regular

I love it!!! Congrats!!!

4. JosephAOI

JosephAOI Thinks Jazz = Metal

Been following Bowes on facebook for quite a while. Fantastic work :agreed:

HNGD!

5. SYLrules88

SYLrules88 I play drums!

LOOKS LIKE A ROTER!!! :fawk:

both of them look quite nice. sorry i dont recognize, who is that in the pic?

6. Levi79

Levi79 SS.org Regular

Very nice. He does great work

7. broj15

broj15 SS.org Regular

I have a feeling that the body is going to be pretty this (nothing wrong with that at all. I dig thinner guitars) so I'm really excited to see more picks. the look of wenge and maple together is, cosmetically, one of my favorite wood combinations. Also, is it just me or do the poles on the pickups in the first pic look way bigger than normal?

8. mudmonster

mudmonster SS.org Regular

Guitarist from Aborted at the Toronto show a few weeks ago.

9. White Cluster

White Cluster Gives Life Meaning

Ooh. I remember when Brian first built that one. Stellar score

10. Djentleguy

Djentleguy SS.org Regular

WOW! Beautiful as hell man! I wonder how she sounds ;) Happy NGD!

11. Empryrean

Empryrean Undecided forever

Fuuuuuck, that guitar made me wenge so hard :scream:

12. musikizlife

musikizlife TCM Softhands

Damn looks almost identical to the E.T. Guitars Katana minus the fingerboard, but gorgeous nonetheless!
    And that headstock its a damn weapon lol
    Happy NGD dude

13. SnowfaLL

SnowfaLL SS.org Regular

Probably my favorite guitar built by Brian, can't wait til I get to Borden in two months so I can come try one of his guitars some weekend.

14. Prydogga

Prydogga Giddyup.

I can't believe Brian is selling that! Congrats dude, that was the thing that started my love for his work. I think I should have my Mahogany 6er in my hands this month or next! :D

15. Nicki

Nicki SS.org Regular

Yeah Brian does awesome work and is just one of the nicest guys you'll ever have the pleasure of meeting. He and I go way way back to 2000/2001 when I first started playing guitar, he was my teacher at a shop in Newmarket. I was surprised that he offered it to me because I knew how much he loved it.

And for anyone who's STILL wondering after the post above, the guy in the picture is Eran Segal. When I met up with Brian last week, I got the chance to play the guitar he built for Eran, and it looks and feels incredible. It's got an asymmetrical neck on it so it was a little awkward for me to play since I'm used to D shaped necks, but the guitar was just completely solid and had such awesome resonance. You could probably just play that thing unplugged and people a block or two away would be able to hear it clear as day.

Anyone interested in more information can go to his facebook page:

Bowes Guitars | Facebook

16. nangillala

nangillala SS.org Regular

So how heavy is a guitar made of wenge? I thought about a wenge neck, but I think it's quite heavy and hard to work with, right?

17. Djentlyman

Djentlyman SS.org Regular

Second that! Awesome work, what a great guitar

18. canuck brian

canuck brian Bowes Guitars Contributor

Hi guys!

I really dig the guitar and it really still does play well, but it's been sitting in a case for such a long time. There are things I wish i did differently on it and tiny little cosmetic things that started to drive me mad about it. Normally this would cause said guitar to have a meeting in my apartment parking lot, but I couldn't kill it - it still played well! The shedua 6 I had is also heading to another admirer for a song - I dont' really feel comfortable selling 4 and 3 year old prototypes that look nothing like what I do now unless it goes to guys that I know.

Nick got to see that guitar get built pretty much from the beginning and I'm happy it's going to get some use again! I should be putting all the parts back in it sometime today or tomorrow and cleaning it up.

The polepieces on the wenge 7's pickups were 1/4 inch wide ones - they're custom built nordstrands. The ones in Eran's guitar were 1/8 inch wide ones, but also Nordies. Nordstrand has had a bunch of management and employee changeover so I've pretty much just shifted to using Dimarzio and Bareknuckles from here in.

Levi - i've got your stuff all packaged up! Sorry it's taken so long!!

19. Sepultorture

Sepultorture Murder Machine

That's awesome dude, congrats, i've seen that guitar sitting at Brian's many times,a dn have played it a couple times, great guitar, and this axe is the very guitar that had me calling Brian to find out more about his guitars and get my own custom. Been a long road from this beast to where he's at now, but everything is a learning experience, you gotta start somewhere.

this will always be to me the iconic guitar that wet the apetite for bowes guitars for many on this Forum.

and you dropped nordstrans eh, holy shit, that was the first company you were with, although you can never go wrong with Dimarzio's and BKP's

20. otisct20

otisct20 SS.org Regular

Jesus you could kill someone with the headstock lol. Gorgeous guitar man!