NGD and first 7, RGD7321 with some oddities(pics inside)

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by MaxStatic, Feb 25, 2011.

1. MaxStatic

MaxStatic SS.org Regular

Happy new guitar day for me and my first 7 to boot. It is a lot more manageable than I expected and has a very nice and thin neck. Feels thinner than my other Ibanez(a pair of MTM2's) but not as thin as my old Charvel. At any rate, the stock pups are pretty damn muddy so I think I will be throwing a CrunchLab/Liquid combo in it. I'm usually an EMG kind of guy but the whole idea with this guitar was "something different" which it is in spades.

I do have a few gripes with it though and would like to hear other folks thoughts. I found two flaws. Number one is I noticed the standard neck pocket stress crack that you see in most guitars of this design(see pic below) It doesn't look bad or anything but it's odd on a brand new guitar. Neither of my MTM2's have these cracks but I remember most folks saying it was normal. What you all think, no big deal or send 'er back? I guess I'm more interested to see how common this is for brand new guitars amongst ya'll.

Number two, and this one sort of champs my ass, is that I noticed that the back control cover plate was bulging in an odd way. I thought maybe a piece of wood debris had gotten stuck when they screwed it down or maybe one of the holes was off and it warped the plate. After taking it off I was greeted with a screw protruding out the back of the guitar!?!?!??! WTF?!?!?!? Now this is another area of newness to me as this is my first and only guitar with body mounted pickups in it. All my EMG guitars or others with Duncans passives or actives use mounting brackets. You guessed it by now if I didn't already give it away, the screw sticking through was from one of the pickups. Lame to say the least. I don't know if they just grabbed a long screw by mistake or what but it's pretty shoddy craftsmanship, even for an Indo guitar. So at this point, I think I will file off about an 1/8" on the screw so that it doesn't stick through(I backed the screw out some in the pic) and put the cover back on. I was wondering if any of you have ever seen anything like this? I searched and came up with nada. I'm not particularly worried about it but it still strikes me as an odd thing to push out the door.

Bringing it back to the positive side, this is a completely different realm for me and this guitar came out at the perfect time incorporating everything that I was wanting. I had also looked at an RGA7, an Apex2, and am still thinking about picking up a 7321 to sand down and mod up. The extra scale length of the RGA really sealed the deal as I intend to go low on this one, also something a little different for me.

At any rate, enjoy the pics, I think I'm the first one to post any since this guitar just came out. More on request and apologies for the shitty photog work. I have a nice camera but not much skill....:lol:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Empryrean, Kr1zalid, Shawn and 20 others like this.
  2. Bigfan

Bigfan sixstringer

That screw is puzzling...

Happy NGD, mang!

3. CloudAC

CloudAC Call me Charlie :)

Its a shame these are only in America, it'd make an awesome back up for my 2127z :(

4. JPhoenix19

JPhoenix19 Playing life by ear

I want one so bad!

5. OrsusMetal

OrsusMetal In brightest day...

How does it play man? I'm curious about how low the action can get with the fretwork it comes with. Any uneven frets?

6. Miek

Miek POSTING ON INTERNET

How does a screw even get there?

7. MikeH

MikeH Bring the gain

Well, if you don't like it, send it to me and I'll get rid of it for you.

8. Zombie13

Zombie13 Guitartist

Is the screw from the bridge?

That is a huge QC mistake right there, call and complain as that is very puzzling they missed that.

Or just take a dremel and cut it off :)

9. MaxStatic

MaxStatic SS.org Regular

OrsusMetal: She plays great, the radius on the fretboard, being that it's a little wider than a 6, is a little different but I don't have any dead spots or buzzing that I can find and it came nice and low from the factory. The edgework on the frets is a hair sloppy but it's overdone if anything, which is better than the opposite where you can slip something between the fretboard and the fret.

The screw is actually the bottom pickup mounting screw for the bridge pickup. Sorry if I was unclear on that. I took it out, cut an 1/8" off it, reinstalled, problem solved. Still, QA should catch something like that, even if it's an Indo. I should have taken a pic of the bulge the control cover plate was doing before trimming the screw....:spock:

I noticed another thing while installing some straplocks. Ibanez used the biggest damnt strap button screws I've ever seen on this thing. Needless to say the Schaller screws just pushed in without even a hint of a thread engagment. Some toothpicks took care of that issue.

Now I'm just messing around with tunning. It came factory set to A,D,G,C,F,A,D so at first I played around with just dropping the A to a G. Easy enough transistion there. But "easy" was not why I bought this thing so the last few hours I've been toying with "Tosin tuning" down another half step Bb,Db,Ab,Db,Gb,Bb,Eb which is interesting to say the least. I feel like a monkey humping a coconut :wallbash:

10. Philligan

Philligan The White-Knuckler

That black looks way better in person, I'm hoping to pick one of these up in the not-too-distant future. Great score man :yesway:

11. JamesM

JamesM The Armada

Bridge pickup looks awfully far from the bridge...

12. BucketheadRules

BucketheadRules Fuzz pedal hoarder

Definitely. I've never liked satin black but this is beginning to change my mind... it always looks so shitty and cheap on the websites but I like the slightly dull patina on that guitar in real life.

That said, none of Ibanez's website photos are particularly flattering, they seem to have a knack for making the rosewood fretboards look really dry and dead, and they almost never are in real life.

13. Ice4600

Ice4600 New Member

Just ordered one of these! Ships tomorrow!

14. Kapee

Kapee ss.org Master

I saw one of these with floyd at local music store. It's hawt! Gongrats!

15. Loomer

Loomer Comfortably Dumb

Agreed. I still don't understand how, in Japan, the land of cameras, they've managed to find such a shitty product photographer. Caparison suffer badly under this too.

16. Semi-pro

Semi-pro SS.org Regular

It does indeed :eek: Bye bye to snappiness, even though many will probably buy one to increase it. I'd be more concerned about this than the beforementioned issues :rolleyes:

Curious though, my buddy just told me 5min ago that he was trying to adjust the height of the bridge pup on his Prestige RGD, and the screw came off. Maybe they've switched to longer screws at some point wanting to be sure that such a thing wont happen in the future guitars. Definitely seems to have cured that issue for the OP's guitar...

17. XEN

XEN BEYOND 6UITAR & B4SS

Wow! No kidding! :scratch:

18. JamesM

JamesM The Armada

Could be nothing, but I'd be interested in hearing it.

19. MaxStatic

MaxStatic SS.org Regular

The black is pretty sick.

After two weeks or so of playing it...I don't feel as 'tarded as before picking up a 7 for the first time. In fact my 6 ability feels like it went through the roof all of a sudden just from the 7 making me think out side the box.

I digress, it been mentioned about the bridge pickup. Yea it looks far, hell it is a fair distance but to be honest, it sounds pretty damn tight. I was going to swap out the pups but think I might leave this one alone. I like it the way it is.

Of course there is a reason for this. I also just got an RGA7 and the pups in that are....well....I don't think I need to explain. Moding that with some Blackouts and the first wire attempt turned up a dead guitar. :wallbash:

I think I f'ed the wiring of the killswitch or something. I will probably post about it soon with pics of my bafoonery and attempts to get it fixed.

At any rate, real glad I picked up the RGD. It plays well, neck is fast, no buzz, and feels "right" if that makes any sense.

Here are a few pics of the RGA7 with a NGD to follow(once I unfuct the wiring)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and my "ghetto hot fab ear plug tip strap button buffer"
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 6, 2011