NGD: Agile Septor 827

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by myfingerpoints, Jun 7, 2016.

1. myfingerpoints

myfingerpoints SS.org Regular

First post, long time lurker. Finally pulled the trigger on an Agile Septor 827 (Agile Septor 827 EB CP CF Black Flame) after enjoying my foray into the 7 string world. Purchased for $350 and I have to say, as many others have before, that you get some serious bang for your buck with these guitars!

The first thing that struck me is how light this guitar is for it's size. I have a Chapman ML7S that has a 26.5 scale length and it is noticeably heavier. The Agile extremely comfortable while standing, no weird back pinches or fatigue.

The style is killer, I've always thought that the Septor headstock is one of the coolest looking on the market. I really dig the amount of string behind the nut as well for the extra boom, and the fact that the strings go straight back to the tuner is definitely a plus for me.

The fretboard is very comfortable and actually feels bit flatter than 15" which is another bonus. The ebony board isn't of the highest quality, but again no noticeable defects or rough spots. After a cleaning and some oil, it looks just as good as the Chapman board. Fretwork seems a hell of a lot better than what you'd expect from a $350 axe, no buzzing or warbles unless it's tuned way down. No rough edges on the ends either, but not exactly Ibanez Prestige level of round.

The neck is very comfortable. I'd put the shape between a D and a thin C. The thickness is medium/thin and fast, thinner than I'd imagined it would be. It has a very light finish and I'd leave it alone if I weren't such a neck freak, but chances are I'll sand it and refinish it with gun stock oil. But out of the box it's very comfortable in the hand and plays fast.

The setup from the factory was ideal: neck had a tiny bit of give and the strings are just low enough for quick action with only a touch of buzz on the very low end. The intonation is really close too, normally something that's way off from the factory in my experience.

Finally, the sound. HUGE. Just huge. I expected these pickups to be lackluster and was already planning on switching the for some Lundgrens or BKP's. Once again, I was pleasantly surprised by the attack and clarity that the stock pickups have. Things get a bit muddy on really low chords, but honestly not much more than the BKP Aftermath I have in my 7. I probably will switch them out later down the road, but for now they really do have some great character to them.

Overall, couldn't be happier. It really is just fun to play and makes me want to pick it up every time I see it. If you are on the fence about getting one, just do it, you won't be disappointed. Really happy to have this in my collection.

If anyone is interested I'll try and post some audio samples, but with the massive amount of Agile tests out on Youtube it might be overkill lol

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      598.4 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      300.1 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      300 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      464.5 KB
      Views:
    • 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      477.3 KB
      Views:
  2. Chronophobia

Chronophobia SS.org Regular

Looks awesome! Good to hear that it lives up to their reputation of high quality instruments for a low price. I've been thinking about getting one of the tribal purple Septor 827s with the maple fretboard but Agiles are considerably more expensive in Canada. Still, can't go wrong...

One thing though, I find the Septor 827 headstocks look a tad too big in photos, does it seem that way in person? Could just be that I'm used to my Intrepid 828's headstock with four tuning pegs on each side.

I'd love to hear some clips by the way.

3. myfingerpoints

myfingerpoints SS.org Regular

The headstock is definitely bigger than most. It's about 9", and when compared to the 17.5"-ish body it does look a bit odd compared to other axes. However I for some reason find that it really suits it. It sort of evens out the look of it, especially with the longer scale length and massive fretboard (compared to a 6 string). The bigger headstock means more low end string mass behind the nut and it keeps the strings straight back to the tuners, both of which are big +'s in my mind. [And I also think the headstock just looks mean as .... lol]

I think a maple board would really give this thing more snap. Not that it needs it, but if you're looking for serious attack that's probably the way to go.

I uploaded a REALLY rough sample, just dicking around on the low end. Forgive the absolutely gross playing, I have a broken fretting finger I have to keep off the board other wise its like playing with a slide.

https://youtu.be/2vt1jzTVVFg

4. musicman61554

musicman61554 SS.org Regular

I love my Agile Septor Elite 827 EB DNC Tribal Purple. I also teach a few students that have 7 and 8 strings by them, they are great. For the money you are getting an insane guutar. Im purchasing a backup 7 string next month. Love them.