NGD : Agile Renaissance 8x

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by Stackoverflow, Sep 21, 2017.

1. Stackoverflow

Stackoverflow SS.org Regular

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hi there!

I'm new to the forum and just got my first fanned fret 8-String guitar!

I ordered it from Canada and it cost me a total of 650$US (800$CA) to get this beauty with a case, because of the duties and taxes. For 800$ here, you can get a mid range guitar or an excellent used guitar.

I play a lot of acoustic fingerstyle, and let me tell you that this guitar is one of the best acoustic guitar I've played. I went to test some 2k$ guitars that was not this good.

Don't be fooled by the youtube videos, There is no videos that gets the real sound of this guitar. I'd like to do one to let you hear the sound but I'm stuck with a pickup choice problem (see my post in the pickup threads). The bass strings are really good and you can get a high volume.

If anybody hesitates to pick one of those, I highly recommend you do, especially if you live in the US!

2. gingerman

gingerman SS.org Regular

Congrats! How would you describe the neck profile, compared to electrics?

3. vansinn

vansinn ShredNeck into Beck

Looks very nice, been interested in those too..
    I wish you all kinds of happy hours playing it.

I'd love me some good audio clips if you get the time :agreed:
    And if you do, please state which microphone and such you used, so we can judge the tone.

4. Stackoverflow

For the neck profile :

I did not try any 8 strings electric guitar, but what I can say about the neck is that it is pretty flat and thin, which I really like. I never had problem doing Barre chord, but this neck makes it a lot easier. The shape kinda forces you to put your hand in a good position. Playing on it feels more natural to my hand than playing on a 6 strings.

For the recording :

I wanted to have a Black Angel Piezo/magnetic combo, but since I don't know if the Magnetic pickup will get all the strings,
    I ordered a 30$ Piezo pickup : Adeline AD-88
    and a 30$ Magnetic pickup : Adeline AD-39T
    This will help me test around to see if magnetic pickups are suitable for a 8 string. Otherwise, I will look into a Piezo/Microphone combo like the K&K Trinity system, which I already installed on one of my guitar.

5. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

Is this the 27-30” one? I’ve been tempted by it on the website. I have a 27” one currently, so I couldn’t rationalize it, but that scale length seems ideal.

6. Stackoverflow

It is the 25"-27" scale one.

The reason I chose this one is because I wanted a Baritone Guitar, but then I said to myself that a baritone guitar was just a down tuned guitar , so why not get something that could give me the same possibilities and more? I'm tuning my guitar so I have standard B tuning from the 7th to the 2nd string, and 1 extra string on each side.

I think a 30" scale on the 8th string would be nice to have, because as soon as you down tune this string, it becomes muddy, but then again I could solve that problem by increasing the gauge. The downside of the 27-30 it is that, for my taste, 27" on the first string has too much tension in a standard tuning, unless you go baritone. A 27"-30" would be great for a 8 string baritone, but then, it's like having a bass with extra strings on top :p .

I do think that Fanned frets are a must for extended range guitar (please don't throw rocks at me).

27" is usually the size for a baritone acoustic guitar, meaning the first string is a 0.016 size and is tuned to B.
    EX: Taylor GT-6, Ibanez AELBT1, Alvarez ABT60, Lowden Baritone, Taylor 326e, ...

Last time I checked, the Agile Renaissance 82730 was no longer available.