NGD! 2018 Ibanez RG550RF

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by MatiasTolkki, Nov 27, 2017.

1. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

That was quick. Congrats man. :metal:

I might have to get both the RFR and white ones now...

2. blacai

blacai SS.org Regular

HNGD! where and when could we find these models in EU?

3. MatiasTolkki

MatiasTolkki Gulag resident

after NAMM I'm guessing.

4. MatiasTolkki

i want one more, maybe PN, next year.

5. Restarted

Restarted SS.org Regular

Time to move to Japan then

6. MatiasTolkki

recent offerings by ibanez have been too close in price to E-IIs, and ESP rapes ibanez in sales in Japan, so they have to beat ESP while still dealing with MIM Fender stuff. This is the best price point for them, but it'll wreck premium sales.

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  7. Sogradde

Sogradde SS.org Regular

I'm jelly.

MatiasTolkki likes this.
  8. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

Good. I know premium pricing is more attractive to the “non-fanboy” average consumer just perusing a store, but prestige quality is the line in the sand for many of us on what we will/won’t purchase - especially sight unseen.

r33per and MatiasTolkki like this.
  9. MatiasTolkki

Well I knew it could be any time between the end of November and the middle of December, because that's what Ibanez does. They are never precise on their release dates, even if it says "End of November." I am so happy I could get this baby, now it's about playing the hell out of her :D

But because of this work of art and mastery luthiery, I am trying to decide what guitars to sell because I KNOW I wont touch them lol

10. MatiasTolkki

Absolutely. that's why I wonder if the premium line could be a "cheaper signature model" line going forward, and not the random model line it is today. The premium signatures seem to sell pretty well, but with an MIJ at this price point, anything even remotely close in price is going to get wrecked.

11. R34CH

R34CH Counter Culture Bullet Vulture

So much want...

HNGD.

12. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

i mean people that know are going to buy these because they were some of the best guitars ibby ever made and ever reissue has been awesome.

people that don't know are going to buy the premium because man look at that awesome cerulean blue burst. oooh aahh

13. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Those things are impossible to photograph, huh? I have a Genesis-series reissue, and the thing is awesome - mine also has a nice flame to the neck, like yours. All it needs now is an obnoxiously eye-searing pickup set. :D

R34CH likes this.
  14. MatiasTolkki

That might be true, BUT, people also look with their wallet, and at the price they are currently being sold for, they basically wreck most of the premium line (and are REALLY close in price point to the IRs), at least here in Japan. Also, it seems outside of Jewel Blue and black (570 and 521), most of the first batch is basically sold out. All RFs are gone from what I saw, same with PNs. Couple white and DYs floating about, that's it.

15. MatiasTolkki

Upload a pic of your genesis RFR. I wanna see if it's got the same coloration as these new reissues.

The GCs are why I have been dying for this guitar forever. The RFs sold out almost immediately on the GCs, and they did the same here for the first batch of reissues as well.

16. Decapitated

Decapitated 5150

Very nice. I have the RFR and DY anniversary models. Love them.

MatiasTolkki likes this.
  17. MatiasTolkki

If i had the money, I woulda got DY as well, or maybe a 2nd RFR.

I have to say though that I think Ibanez did the right thing by using the V7-V8s instead of the V1-V2s. After some fiddling around, I found that these pups, through some mesa-style distortion, sound pretty damn good. I use the Modern channel on my Yamaha THR10 and they sound really good. If I want a little less high end, I just turn down the tone knob and I can get some killer rhythm sounds. I've completely changed my opinion of these pups and will continue to use them :D

18. Restarted

Restarted SS.org Regular

The V1/V2 combo on my 20th anniversary sounded really good to me. I managed to get some really sweet distortions that were perfect for blues rock out of it, but it just wasn't my style. I changed them for a Breed neck/Evo2 combo which sounded great to me back then. Recently I grew out of that insanely hot sound of the evo2 and changed that to a Crunchlab. Now it's perfect. Still have the V1/V2 and have actually considered putting them back more than once.
    If you consider changing the pickups again, don't go for black. Literally any colour looks good on the RFR. I went for white and it was great. Then I ordered a black Crunchlab by mistake and Thomann were so efficient, it was shipped faster than I noticed my error. Now I have a white neck pickup, black middle/bridge pickups. Still look good but lost some of its mojo.

19. MatiasTolkki

Well i have a spare set of v1-v2s here, and I have the full V1-S1-V2 set in my RG5000, which is why I'm happy with the v7-v8s right now. I LOVE the v1-v2s, tone for days. I just wanted something different :)

20. MatiasTolkki

Here are some pics of the back of the neck and body. I realized with that flame in the fingerboard that I should probably look at the neck, and wow, I found some curls in that maple :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]