NGD: 1989 Charvel 550XL

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by Randy, Mar 8, 2018.

1. Randy

Randy ROOMFORYOUROOMFORYOUROOMFORYOU Super Moderator

Pics first, nigglings later.

1989 Charvel 550XL in Midnight Blue

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not much backstory. I've been talking old Jacksons and Charvels lately with a friend and started GASing for one of these, and the right one popped up at the right price.

Haven't played it a ton yet. Shipped with a string gauge I'm not fond of and it's tuned to D Standard, so that'll probably have to change ASAP. I will say, it arrived in perfect tune and I ' woop wooped' on the trem a good bit and it stayed perfectly in tune.

I had a pickup swap planned before I even bought it, but I read some pretty good reviews of the stock bridge pickup (J50B) and nothing about the neck. Gave it a shot through my rig at home and they're better than most stockers, that I'll give it, but they're still EQ'd weird for me. Low medium output (that's coming from someone that uses 59 and PAF 36th bridge pickups in a few guitars) and a little 'dull' for lack of a better word. Still not bad but if I'm keeping it, it'll probably need something more biting. The neck pickup is similar but a little too round for my liking so far.

2. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Nice score!

I couldn't help but notice all of the Trump books int he background. :lol:

I worked at a store that had a similar guitar ages ago, and I noted the same lack of sparkle and personality from the stock pickups. The guitar felt very nice, though, to me. Granted, it was eons ago and I've played many nice guitars since then. How do you like feel of the neck?

Randy likes this.
  3. Dyingsea

Dyingsea SS.org Regular

Toothpaste Charvels are so good. I'd take a 650XL or 750XL over a Soloist any day.

ArtDecade and Randy like this.
  4. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

FUCK I want a super start with a single coil neck pickup so bad. Slanted as above obviously. That thing looks to be in great shape nice score!

Randy likes this.
  5. BigViolin

BigViolin Rosewood Boarded Contributor

I have a original San Dimas from '84 with a J90c. No experience with the J50 but if it's anything like the 90 you'll like it I bet. Never once thought of swapping out the Jackson pickup in my Charvel.

Sweet score!!

Randy likes this.
  6. nyxzz

nyxzz SS.org Regular

looks sick, there's a couple of charvel fusions at my local shop for like 200 bucks a pop (same guy sold them all to the store i guess) and theyve been there for awhile. think they're worth that even if they require a little work? How's that trem like? It looks the exact same as what you have but I guess has a shorter scale

Randy likes this.
  7. silverabyss

silverabyss

Nnnyooooh my god they’re worth way more than 200 if there not 100% trashed

Sick score boss :yesway:

nyxzz and Randy like this.
  8. Randy

Know thy enemy. :lol:

I'm in the marketing business and they were decent books at the time. Since he's been POTUS, I keep lending them out and they keep coming back :rofl:

It's chunkier than expected but that's relative to the Super Wizard and the two Parkers that are/were my last 'main' guitars. It's still relatively 'fast' though. Nearest thing I can compare to is maybe a mildly thinner MIM Strat neck? About that thickness and also very round along the spine with no shoulders.

Fusions are on my short list. This is 25.5" which honestly I settled on because I'd have preferred 24.75", but the 750xl are an arm and a leg, mostly don't come in finishes I'm into and I wanted a slanted single neck. The Fusion checks those boxes but I've been dying for a neckthru.

The Fusion market is way low right now, which makes it a good time to get in on them. $200 for being mostly complete is definitely a good deal.

I'm not up on all my Charvel research but the one on this is a Jackson branded Schaller and I believe that's fairly standard for the time. I've had a few as well as some Floyd Rose and Schaller branded trems from the same era, and they're all rock solid. Almost 30 years old and still returns to zero every time.

nyxzz and bostjan like this.
  9. sirbuh

sirbuh SS.org Regular

Nice guitar; picked up an identical model after watching trey azagtoth riff on one for the most of the night last year while insta had tech problems. Similiar adjustment experience wrt neck.

Randy likes this.
  10. groverj3

groverj3 Biologist/Guitarist

It's a JT590 trem and exactly the same as a Schaller Floyd Rose (not the lockmeister, or the original floyd which they also make). The only negative about it is that on early ones the little bolts to hold the saddles in place after changing intonation are threaded directly into the non-hardened base plate so it's possible to strip the base plate. However, in every other respect it's a capable unit.

Happy NGD! I love a good neckthrough Jackson/Charvel, myself.

Randy likes this.
  11. NateFalcon

NateFalcon SS.org Regular

AA4A70E7-6766-4AF5-A93B-96668017651F.jpeg Awesome score!! My pink predator is pretty fun, reverse stock, same pickup arrangement, single volume...I agree on the cocked single coil at the neck -they’re the best looking IMO

USMarine75 and Randy like this.
  12. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

I'd replace them with a 59 in the bridge, and an Alnico II Pro Staggered strat single coil. I think they'd possibly pair well, since the 59 is like a 7.9k or so, and the AIIP is 6.1k.

Anyways, congrats on the new guitar.

Randy likes this.
  13. USMarine75

USMarine75 Lover of sasquatch erotica Contributor

14. IbanezDaemon

IbanezDaemon Raptus regaliter

Killer! Love those old MIJ Charvels.

Randy likes this.
  15. nyxzz

nyxzz SS.org Regular

Might just go offer them like 450 for all 3 then for the hell of it...

Randy likes this.
  16. Vhyle

Vhyle Jackson Shill

Oh my lort, this is a nice score! Ever since I became infatuated with Shawn Lane and his old 750XL, I've been GASsing hard for old-school Charvel toothpaste guitars. This isn't helping.

Nice find, for sure.

Randy likes this.
  17. Spicypickles

Spicypickles 8 string Warrior

Very, very nice!

Those frets look huge though! Or is it a trick of the camera?

Randy likes this.
  18. Randy

I'd say they're a standard jumbo? Been a while since I've had a anything bigger than a medium but I'm loving them.

19. Element0s

Element0s Low Fantasy/Black Denim

Hell fuckin' yeah! I love toothpasties. I've got a matching 650xl and 375 Deluxe at home. Congrats!

Randy likes this.