NGD...1978 Martin D-28

Discussion in 'Jazz, Acoustic, Classical & Fingerstyle' started by MIL8, Jun 4, 2017.

1. MIL8

MIL8 SS.org Regular

Had this for about a month now but finally getting around to posting my NGD. I've wanted a Martin for a LONG time. My dad had a 1932 OM-28, sadly he sold it when I was about 8, before I started playing. He said if he knew then that I would have started playing he would of never sold it and that it was one of the worst decisions he ever made, not just financially but from a sentimental aspect as well. He always wen't on and on about how great it sounded.

This came up on my local craigslist so I went to check it out and I bought it without hesitation. It has been modified by Luthier Brian Kimsey, if aren't familiar with what he does, he specializes in taking Martin's, (especially 1970s Martins) and modifying them to "Pre-War" specs. This is one of the loudest and best sounding acoustics that I've played. I don't have a "Pre-War" to compare it to but I would have to say it would give it a good run for it's money comparing this to most new Martins that I have played. It certainly has plenty of wear and scars but I love playing it and it is quickly becoming one of my favorite guitars.

If only they had made it in a 7 string version :)

If you want to see more pictures there is a link at the bottom to the album.

[​IMG]

https://flic.kr/s/aHskXE6RMn

2. prlgmnr

prlgmnr ...that kind of idea

That looks like it's seen a thing or two, awesome.

3. Leviathus

Leviathus Psychotic Monster

So nice, looks gorgeous!

HNGD!

4. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Oh damn.

If you have any way to make a decent recording of that, I'd love to hear it in action.

My Martin is a 1997, I think, MC16-GTE, and actually we're getting to the point where I guess mine is a 20 year guitar with some age on it too, and the top has definitely begun to yellow a little and the tone is definitely a little more mellow and rich than it used to be. I can't wait until mine looks like yours. It has one of what I think is Martin's earlier synthetic fretboards, and periodically I wonder if maybe it'd sound even better if I had it replaced with ebony or rosewood, but at the end of the day I'm pretty happy with the sound of the guitar and I don't know if it would be worth the effort.

Anyway, old Martins. :yesway:

5. MIL8

MIL8 SS.org Regular

Yea I'd like to get a good recording of it sometime, if I do I will be sure to post it. I've heard that the Dreadnoughts don't record as well as the smaller body Martin's like an OM, but I think it would still sound good.

A friend of mine has a Martin with the synthetic fretboard, I think they call it Richlite? I don't really like the feel of it, to me it is almost like plastic. No idea how much it would change the sound.

6. Dawn of the Shred

Dawn of the Shred Scooped All The Mids

Beautiful!! Congrats man!