NFL Football 2015-2016

Discussion in 'Sports Talk' started by Joose, Sep 2, 2015.

1. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

Denver looks like its about to be totally dismantled. At least the D.

2. Joose

Joose Custom User Title

Just Malik Jackson and Danny Trevathan Very much enjoyed having both of them, but not huge losses in the big picture. Still got Miller, Ward, Talib, Harris Jr, Wolfe, Barrett, Ray, Marshall, Roby, Keo, Stewart... and Ware seems to be looking into a re-negotiation of his contract.

But yes, so far... Manning, Jackson, Trevathan, Daniels (a bit surprised by that one, but whatever, we suck at TE post-Julius), Vasquez and a 3rd stringer whose name I forgot, are going/gone.

Just keep Osweiler, since he's comfortable in Denver already, give Wade Phillips whoever he wants and fix the damn o-line. Basically, I think it looks bad today, but really Jackson is the only major loss. And if Hillman goes, not a huge loss; dude's fast, but way too inconsistent.

3. Childofthecornsyrup

Childofthecornsyrup SS.org Regular

Well,
    Free Agency starts in a few hours. I remain cautiously optimistic that Ryan Pace pulls off a miracle or two. To the team that picks up Forte? He'll be a valuable asset, he's still got some years left in him and as a Bears fan I wish him the best. Some interesting choices, options, and rumors going around for Chicago's offense. White & Jeffery could be a really good combo IF both stay healthy. Management doesn't want Martellus Bennett and have been working with his agent to find a trade partner. Free Agency and the Draft will be interesting, to say the least.

And damn, I miss having a dominating defense.

The rebuilding. Oh god the rebuilding.

*side note: favorite quote from Bears Senior Writer Larry Mayer in an article today: "The Bears have the salary cap space to be active in free agency, but they're determined not to overspend." *looks at a certain $126,700,000, 7 year contract with $54 mill guaranteed* :rolleyes: :noplease:

4. Joose

Joose Custom User Title

Aaaaand Brockweiler to Houston....

Man, now I'm almost hoping for Kaepernick, which I never thought I'd say. I don't want a QB going straight from the draft to starting. If we got Kaep, he'd fit Kubiak's offense pretty well I think. Just so long as he leaves that arm kissing douchebaggery in San Fran.

5. Ralyks

I have a very bad feeling you're getting RGIII and/or Brian Hoyer...

Anyone else notice the Giants D is starting to look a bit scary? Olivier Vernon, Snacks, JPP, Janoris Jenkins.... Daaaaamn

6. lemeker

lemeker SS.org Slacker

I don't think we need any miracles so to speak. It's just getting the right pieces in place for the switch from a 4-3 to a 3-4. It's roughly the same thing the Cubs have done the last few years only in football...

Trevathan will surely be an upgrade for us, and we got him for a fair price, considering what some other teams have just shelled out (Giants). The guy we got from the Cardinals (Massie) seems like another good addition for the o line. It will allow Kyle Long to move back to what I feel is a more natural position for him and the one he made the pro bowl in. Keeping Tracy Porter was a good move too, he was pretty solid for us last year.

I think the Jags made a couple of really good moves. I like the way they are heading and same with the Raiders. I have to agree the Giants d- does look a little scarier, but I think they overpaid and might regret it in the future.

7. Joose

Joose Custom User Title

If RGIII stays healthy, that would be fine. But that's a big "if"...

8. Ralyks

Well, you could always go after FitzMagic too apparently.

9. extendedsolo

extendedsolo SS.org Regular

Fellow Bears fan here, and I'm more than happy with their signings. They have a ton of cap room right now and hit gold with Pernell McPhee in free agency last year, and Travathien is an automatic upgrade to their terrible LBers. I have faith in Pace and Fox to get some more players through the draft too. They are probably still another year away from possibly even competing though.

I'm not unhappy with the Cutler signing either since look at what else is available. Not really anything that would be considered an upgrade. Also Cutler had a good year last year with Gase as the coordinator. We will have to see how it goes this year though.

10. extendedsolo

If RGIII listens to coaching he will be fine. His arm strength and accuracy are rea Don't scramble when your first receiver isn't open and there is slight pressure. I think it's one of the only situations where his career could be resurrected since we all know who is in charge there (Elway) and if he wasn't pushed around by Manning, there is no chance that he would be pushed around by RGIII.

It sounds like they want Kaepernick though, who would be awesome in that offense IMO

11. Joose

Joose Custom User Title

You know what I'd like to see? A trade of some sort for AJ McCarron. But at this point I just want them to sign someone so I have an answer haha.

I'm disappointed in Osweiler. It really is starting to seem like he was sour over being benched in Week 17. Thing is, if he hadn't been benched, there would have been no Home Field Advantage, and we probably would've gotten our asses handed to us in New England, as usual. I mean c'mon, he didn't even acknowledge their offers. If he wanted to stay in Denver, Elway would've beaten Houston's offer. Glad it went this way though, if that's the type of person Osweiler is.

Still got a stacked-as-fvck defense, I'm ready for next season.

12. USMarine75

USMarine75 Doc McStuffins Contributor

Don't sleep on B Hoyer... with the Broncos D and a decent run game, he could manage Denver to a couple more SB's. He doesn't make mistakes, unless he's trying to get into a shootout and forcing throws, because he's just not that guy. I think he's similar to Alex Smith and he gets in trouble when he tries to be Aaron Rogers.

13. Joose

Joose Custom User Title

Fair points, sir. I'd be lying if I said I've paid attention to him, because I haven't.

Gotta say, now that the shock is over, I'm feeling betrayed by Osweiler. I mean, how brilliant is Elway? Drafted Osweiler just days after signing Manning, with the plan of him being the future. And that's exactly what it looked like it was going to be; Brock would've been treated like a king here in Denver. I don't want to believe it had anything to do with him essentially getting us to the playoffs and then getting benched, but I think if he wanted to stay, Denver would've paid him whatever he wanted.

As far as Kaep goes, I'm warming up to the idea. I know if he's on his game he would do well in Kubiak's offense, I just never liked his personality or showboating. And as much as I hate the media, I wouldn't mind if his 2nd chance worked out better than Osweiler's time in Houston, I like the idea of that headline. We also almost drafted him... so he was a Plan B a long time ago.

I just want an answer as to who our new QB will be. I feel way too anxious today haha.

14. USMarine75

Kaep was great at Nevada. (I watch a lot of CFB lol.) Only negative is that I've heard bad rumors about him as an NFL starter - not studying the playbook and putting in the hours. But if anyone (Besides Belichick) can get greatness out of a player, it's Elway. How do you not listen to what that guy has to say, especially regarding the QB position?

15. Joose

Joose Custom User Title

Guess we'll see. Sounds like Denver has been pretty aggressive at getting Kaepernick.

16. USMarine75

You could always be the Patriots... no draft picks and no FA to fix the holes. We always joke here that Bill the GM hates Bill the Coach, because he gives him such crap to work with. It's like Bill the Coach won 4 SB, but Bill the GM has lost them 2-4 more.

-What College Football tape led them to think that these were second round picks? --> Tavon Wilson, Duron Harmon, Jordan Richards, Jermaine Cunningham
    -Or that these were third round picks? --> Geneo Grissom, Duron Harmon, Taylor Price, Tyrone McKenzie, Shawn Crable, Guss Scott
    -5th round pick on a Navy long snapper... who might not have gotten released and been eligible to play in NFL! But I agree with the pick, because when a guy has the highest snap velocity ever, you have to reach up and grab him. :noway:
    -They even drafted a guy with one eye last year. GTFO. One eye. He had to look at you like a horse before he could tackle you.

^ None of these guys were good in college. I remember when they picked Tavon Wilson out of Illinois and I was screaming at the TV. My wife watches the draft with me and wanted to know why I was so upset at the pick. I looked for video of a game I remembered him from, and pulled up a youtube vid of him getting smoked for 2 TD's by a Northwestern WR I really liked (Jeremy Ebert), that the Pats actually drafted later in the 7th, but never made the team. So a guy that is not good enough to make an NFL roster continuously smoked him in college, but Bill said yeah let's draft that guy in the 2nd? Oh and the reason I had to pull up video is because the NFLN and ESPN didn't have any video of him, Kiper didn't even have notes for him, and they all had him rated as a 7th rd pick (24th by Scouts, INC) or UDFA. He didn't play in an all-star game, and he wasn't even invited to the combine, even though he played at a Big-10 school. Incidentally, you may remember Wilson as the guy that gave up the huge catch and run by the Jets to win the game in OT, and cost the Pats homefield advantage last year (among other reasons).

Now I make my fair share of draft mistakes too, but here were some guys that I was hoping for with the Wilson pick, and then screaming about immediately after the pick: Lavonte David (I thought he was a late 1st rd guy and couldn't believe he was available!), Vinny Curry (there was chatter that the Pats could take him in the 1st), Ryan Broyles (didn't pan out due to knee injuries), Zach Brown, Casey Heyward (bloodlines that BB loves), Jared Crick, Kirk Cousins (thought he would be the heir-apparent to TB)...

My favorite player in the last draft was Tyler Lockett, but instead the Pats took another 7th rd/UDFA rated safety in the 2nd, Jordan Richards. :noway:

Anywho, I hated the Lafell signing and I'm glad he's gone. Loved the Scott Chandler signing, but wow what a bust... glad he's gone. They need a 3rd CB, a good 2nd WR, and 5 OL.

Probably no more holes than any other team, but damn Elway knew how to stack the deck to get a win before your QB retires (kind of like he has some experience in this area?). Whereas, BB has a team full of Average Joes (big FA signing so far is another dedicated special teamer).

But I guess I can't be too mad, because there's no way he would have:

A. Overspent on medicority, like Sanu.
    B. Mortgaged the future, like Malik Jackson and Olivier Vernon.
    C. Brought in malcontents, like Mario Williams.

/rant

17. USMarine75

Sorry for double posting... but...

Mark Sanchez?

[​IMG]

18. Joose

Joose Custom User Title

A) I know, right?
    B) He does have a better playoff record than the rest of the AFC West combined in the past decade or so... so I'll ride that for now haha
    C) At $4.5M, he must be a backup.
    D) Elway said it's just the 1st step in the QB process.
    E) I just want to know who the starter will be, I really don't care who it is at this point. Defense is still stacked and the offense can't be much worse than it was last season.

19. lemeker

lemeker SS.org Slacker

Sorry Denver fans. Sanchez is a bad pickup. I think Elway did this so they at least have A qb. I'd put a rookie in before him...

Hopefully they can still land Kapernick.

20. extendedsolo

LOL Sanchez! I hope they get someone else.