NFL Football 2014-2015

Discussion in 'Sports Talk' started by Joose, Aug 3, 2014.

1. Joose

Joose Custom User Title

Naw. Chip Kelly would get way more out of it than he is (apparently) willing to take.

Seriously, who gets rid of DeSean Jackson, McCoy, Foles and Maclin all in 2 years?

2. MaxSwagger

MaxSwagger SS.org Regular

Apparently a guy who hates overweight gingers. haha Apparently there isn't a single player left on the team that played under Reid when he was there.

3. Randy

Randy Ooh, Degrasse Tyson-son Super Moderator

Yeah, I apparently spoke too soon re: Revis :lol:

Mariota is a REALLY high possibility. The only teams with higher picks that need a QB are the Bucs and the Titans, the Bucs have already made obvious they're going for Famous Jameis and there's significant buzz Tennessee is giving Mettenberger another year. Everyone else already drafted a QB last year.

Chan Gailey's spread style of offense would be a natural fit for Mariota, but even if they don't take him, that scheme would fit Geno much better (much closer than what he excelled at at WV). Considering Gailey was able to squeeze 3,800 yards out if Fitzpatrick, I'd say we're looking at a significant tempo boost in NY. :woot:

Real interest in CJ Spiller but then again, so is everybody else.

4. pushpull7

pushpull7 Banned

I can't imagine why anyone would be interested in CJ Spiller.

C.J. Spiller Stats - ESPN

Terrible stats. Incredibly inconsistent, not a horrible pass catcher though. But as a 9th overall pick, he's at or near bust status. If you can get him on the cheap, cool. But I wouldn't pay much for him.

@Fitzptrick: I hate to play debbie downer, but

Quarterback Win/Loss Records - The Football Database (look at wins loses)

Statistically, he's pretty good, but a LOT of fumbles.

Ryan Fitzpatrick: Career Stats at NFL.com

But they have a better chance w/o rex than with imho. I think he was delusional.

5. Randy

That's actually the point... Fitz is atrocious and but those same plays called with competent QB and receiver corp makes all the difference. Also, I'm excited with Chan as an OC, God help us if he were the HC :lol:

6. pushpull7

pushpull7 Banned

I don't know what to think of Indy. I'm both REALLY excited and very nervous.

My belief is that the "old school" signings have something left in the tank. But if it doesn't work this year, there may not be a next. They gotta do Hilton/Luck/Fleener next year which will destroy cap space for a long time.

7. MaxSwagger

MaxSwagger SS.org Regular

Yeah, Indy's really in a make it or break it situation now. Next year's AFC playoff's are going to be intense.

8. protest

protest SS.org Regular

Looks like Murray is officially an Eagle. Chip is gonna be pissed when he finds out he's not white.

9. Randy

If I were Dallas, I'd have kept Murray over Bryant :2c:

10. pushpull7

pushpull7 Banned

Agreed. But their attitude is anyone can run behind that line. We'll see.

11. Joose

Joose Custom User Title

Damnit. Denver has lost Pot Roast to the Deadskins.

I am not happy about this.

And Rahim Moore to the Texans. Good.

12. pushpull7

pushpull7 Banned

The ghost of tebow is back :lol:

Meanwhile, number one pick/QB:

Jameis Winston Stats | College Football at Sports-Reference.com

Marcus Mariota Stats | College Football at Sports-Reference.com

I understand that I'm not a scout or clairvoyant, but I'm having a tough time betting against Mariota. The "experts" all say he's not ready now but isn't that what they said about Derrik Carr? On a really bad team he put up decent numbers last year. I think the Jets at 6 is the perfect place for him.

I just think that considering how few the turnovers were, the consistency, the fact that he's a monster running the ball as well as a high completion percentage should have him with more respect than he's getting.

But if he falls to Cleveland, his career will be short and forgetful. :ugh:

13. pushpull7

pushpull7 Banned

Oh man.......hate to admit it......the "talking heads" have changed my mind :lol:

I'm worried about my beloved MM........it's so "woez me" about him in the media.....again.....I just hope he doesn't go to Cleveland (unless he can kick ass and make them relevant......)

14. Randy

Trading up for (IMO) a bigger risk QB, with only 3 or 4 starts for Johnny 8-ball, would be a big mistake. Cleveland needs help all over the field and concentrating on just QB with your high draft picks is stupidly narrow-minded.

15. pushpull7

pushpull7 Banned

I was looking over the top 30 college quarterbacks and though there are some duds, there are 13 top flight NFL stars. Tebow and Young are tweeners (they had some success) and the jury is still out for some on Manzhell (I think he's done) So considering there is about a 50-50 chance you'll get it right. Mariota is number 8 on that list btw. Your Jets would be as good a fit as there is. He can sit, get familiar with things and though he might beat the other guys out, it's not a "reach"

Now, when you look at a lot of draft busts, they either were one year wonders, "huge potential" (you're committing suicide right there) or just simply a reach based on need. Some names in this category are Akili Smith, Ryan Leaf, Jake Locker, Blane Gabert, Tim Couch, Brady Quinn, Brando Wheeden, and the greatest first round draft reach/bust of all time......Jim Druckenmiller.

It's not an exact science but I like those odds considering.

16. Randy

The unfortunate truth is that franchise quarterbacks come once or twice every 5 years... by that math, it's nearly impossible for all NFL teams to be fielding competent quarterbacks. In the case of the 2009-2010 Jets, that didn't need franchise worthy or even competent... they needed a 'game manager' and a top 5 rushing offense. There's a lot of people who would argue the Seahawks have made it a lot further than that, using the same model.

Do I think Manziel is the next Johnny Unitas? No, but can he manage handing off a football, a couple of designed passes and a couple of designed runs? Yes. A porous offensive line and lackluster overall offense is that makes that impossible. There are just too many holes and 'out-and-out' bad coaching/management on that team to be rectified by drafting one QB, especially someone like Mariota (who I agree would flourish in the new Jets offense) who has limited experience calling audibles and having to improvise (that's actually the biggest critique against him). He'll get killed behind that line. Pretty much anybody will.

17. pushpull7

pushpull7 Banned

Well, we'll see. He'll get the chance to prove himself. But from what I've seen (ncaa and nfl) he reminds me of two words:

Ryan Leaf.

18. pushpull7

pushpull7 Banned

Infamous Jameis......

One things for certain. The talking heads know what side their bread is buttered. (more soundbites/more coverage/mo monay)

19. pushpull7

pushpull7 Banned

Hey, Adrian Peterson was reinstated.......can't beat that with a stick!

(boooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, hisssssssssssssssssss)

Honestly, was there ever any doubt? Him and rice, mcdonald and harvey and winston should all be very happy together this year.

20. pushpull7

pushpull7 Banned

Famous Jameis, Knowin' how to treat da ladies right ;)

That dumbass could be accused of a triple homicide and nobody would truly care.