Newspaper Finish Guitar

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by Purelojik, Apr 23, 2012.

1. Purelojik

Purelojik SS.org Regular

So i saw the Regius 6 paper from mayones and decided thats exactly what i wanna do with a short scale guitar im planning to build next.

Mayones Regius 6 Paper - Master Builder Collection 2011

[​IMG]
    i intend to use newspapers from World War II or something like that cause WWII just fascinates me.

So my question is this:

to achieve this finish should i print out high quality digitized old newspapers?
    or buy actual re-prints and use them.

and

What should i coat it with to preserve it before final finish with a clearcoat? epoxy?

rcsierra13 likes this.
  2. bob123

bob123 Banned

Remember that "liquid glass" you were asking about? you soak the paper in that and lay it on. Make sure you put it over a white basecoast, else you wont like the results ;)

3. Purelojik

Purelojik SS.org Regular

white basecoat...damn totally forgot that. thanks for the reminder dude.

4. bob123

bob123 Banned

Learned that one the hard way ;) Tried a newspaper finish once, put it over red..... made the paper a lovely pink color! :scream: I was pretty damn mad haha

5. Purelojik

Purelojik SS.org Regular

so should i glue the newspaper on the white basecoat? im thinking dipping it in the liquid glass would get streaks or something like that. if i just glue it all on at once then pour that shizzle on top wont that work better?

6. Konfyouzd

Konfyouzd Dread-I Master

I think projectguitar.com has instructions on how to do something like that. Might paper be similar? I remember covering a bottle with tissue paper in first grade and all I remember us doing was laying the paper over the bottle and smearing some glue-like substance over it. I imagine any streaks or roughness could be dealt with using sand paper and such after a few coats, no?

7. bob123

bob123 Banned

No, paper and fabric work separately. The paper wont "streak" if you apply it level...

8. Purelojik

Purelojik SS.org Regular

aaaand thats the problem lol. i will inevitably screw some part of that up lol. who knows maybe this will be the time i get that right. but any other alternatives?

9. bob123

bob123 Banned

Epoxy is really the best way, get a glue spreader (body filler spreader, auto zone or similar stores, about 1$), and you wont have too many issues.

Also, use normal masking tape or electrical tape for the edges, seems to work better then painters tape.