Newish Guitarist

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by Orlando Aponte, Jul 4, 2017.

1. Orlando Aponte

Orlando Aponte SS.org Regular

I've been playing (self-taught) for about two years now. To summarize, I started playing classical music (viola) at age 13 in 2003, went to university for music performance between 2008-2012. Throughout my classical music life I also did a lot of composing, so I have a good deal of music-writing experience. Over the course of my university experience I began to grow disenfranchised and disillusioned with the classical music world, eventually dropping out in 2012. During the following years, I began to appreciate and listen to progressive metal, finding redeeming qualities in it that I felt had been lost in contemporary classical music. Several months after discovering the band Elitist in late 2014, I felt that I could find a new musical voice in metal. The only thing left was to actually be able to play electric guitar. I didn't think it would be that hard to "get good," but I couldn't have been more wrong. I've been practicing my ass off for a little over 2 years now, trying to reach a level I consider to be proficient enough to start writing music of adequate substance. I'm getting closer, but I'm still ways away. I eventually finished my music degree 2016-2017, forever cementing my decision to turn my back on modern classical music (quite an oxymoron). Anyway, that's me. I'm looking forward to learning more and finding something of a social network because virtually no one I know actually likes the kind of music I do.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2017
    M3CHK1LLA likes this.
  2. M3CHK1LLA

M3CHK1LLA angel sword guardian

welcome to sso. what guitar(s) and gear do you have?

also, no shortage of learning or hearing great music here...

3. Sir Ibanez

Sir Ibanez SS.org Regular

Welcome!

4. Dawn of the Shred

Dawn of the Shred Scooped All The Mids

Welcome to the forum