Newb help with second seven stringer

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by Defyantly, Sep 29, 2018.

1. Defyantly

Defyantly SS.org Regular

So, I am still pretty new to the seven string world. My first and only 7 string was a js22-7 that I got used off of reverb. It started off a nightmare. The previous owner had changed out the pickups and installed some unbranded ones that must have been used as well. The neck pickup was intermittent and and the pots were completely ungrounded. After I tore into it I found that the leads to the neck PU were broken off of the actual coils. So that led to a complete electronics change and full upgrade of the pickups. Atleast an upgrade within my budget, which was a set of original jackson made pickups and a new set of pots and switch. Unfortunately it didn't end there. To get a decent action I had to lower the saddles so low that the saddle screws stuck out an eighth of an inch. This made the bridge a very uncomfortable place to rest my hand when palm muting. Overall the jackson was just not my cup of tea. So I ended up selling it to a buddy of mine who wanted to refinish it customize it.

So now I am looking into getting a new seven string after a few months of trying to play drop stuff on a 6 and it leading to frustration and anger. I have searched and searched and I cant really settle on a good pick that fits my wants and needs. Although I know that all of my wants are not going to be met due to my budget (no more than ~300USD).

Wants:
    dual or single humbucker
    maple or ebony FB
    Neck-thru or rounded heel
    preferably 25.5" or greater scale length
    not tradition black color
    satin, oil, or unfinished neck

Contenders that I have found so far include: Douglas Hadron 727 (favorite), Ibanez Gio 7, Schecter C7 (neck heel...), Ibanez RG321MH (black....meh).

TL;DR
    Didn't have good luck with my first 7 string help me pick a new one. ~$300 budget.

2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Pretty much everything at that price is going to be a flip of a coin as to whether it's any better or worse than your "nightmare Jackson".

I suggest getting whatever best suits the specs you want and then taking it to either a well reviewed pro for a setup or learning how to do it yourself. :2c:

3. Defyantly

Defyantly SS.org Regular

^^^^Thanks for the reply. Although I do not consider my jackson a "nightmare" because I know many people enjoy the guitar and think very highly of it. For me it just was not the right fit. I'm leaning more towards the Douglas 727, unfortunately there are not many reviews on that particular guitar.

4. LeviathanKiller

LeviathanKiller Knee-shooting Archer

If you're in the US, the best quality will come via Agile honestly. I haven't picked up many guitars in that range that were decent. A JS22-7 happened to be one of them I liked though. But yeah, RondoMusic.com if you're based in the US. Otherwise, try Harley Benton if you're in Europe (in range of Thomann).

I own a Agile Septor. No complaints other than the neck being a bit thick (but I'm comparing it to my thin ones like my KMs so...)

5. Defyantly

Defyantly SS.org Regular

Is Douglas made by Agile? I see that you can buy them off of rondo (I'm in the US btw) but their stock changes randomly. I was GASing hard for one of their Agile Epics but I haven't seen them in the store since they were released.

6. MaxOfMetal

Douglas is a sub-brand of Rondo Music. Think of it as the Squire of Agile, if that makes sense.

They're usually made in China, vs. Agile which is South Korea, and feature cheaper materials and parts. They're not bad, but definitely not as good as Agile.

7. LeviathanKiller

What Max said and yeah, it's a waiting game on getting what you want from there. I was incredibly lucky with ones I found. I even managed to grab one with stainless steel frets.

8. Defyantly

Defyantly SS.org Regular

I just checked on Reverb and found a Douglas Scope 727 ($145) and a Douglas Hadron 727($165). Which one is better? I like the hadron for the neck-thru design but I like the scopes electronic placement and the HH config instead of the HSH on the Hadron. I know I'm probably gonna change the PUs out on either one but I just wanted to know if anyone has any experience on either one to help my decision.

9. Defyantly

Defyantly SS.org Regular

***Update*** As an impulse I went a head and ordered the Hadron. So NGD incoming.

10. LeviathanKiller

I definitely want to know how this turns out. I was too apprehensive to ever buy one for myself.

11. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive CNC hack

I've always liked the look of the hadrons. Excited to see how it works for you.

I have an Agile 8 stringer and love it to death. Even if I only play three of its strings :)

12. Defyantly

Defyantly SS.org Regular

Well bad news...FEDEX finally decided to work in overdrive this time and are trying to deliver the guitar today(a week early) but it requires a signature. I wont be able to get it till next Wednesday when I have someone home to sign for it.....

13. MaxOfMetal

Call and have them hold it at the nearest FedEx Store or depot. It's free and will let you pick it up at your convenience.

14. Defyantly

Defyantly SS.org Regular

I tried to have them hold it but since it was already out for delivery they said they couldn't do anything until the next business day which will be Monday. My small town doesn't have a fedex location so I would have to drive an hour out of the way just to go pick it up. I have one more hail mary play that I will try and get to work to see if my landlord will sign for it, but if not I already told them to have it delivered next Wednesday when my wife will be home.