New York City price for Fret Dress/Grind and Polish

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by yellow, May 2, 2012.

1. yellow

yellow Banned

Hey,

anyone from NYC area:

what is the going rate for a fret dress (grind and polish, leveling, crowning with a basic setup)? I've been quoted $100, but I just wanted to make sure I'm not overpaying.

Also can you recommend anyone/any shops that do a good job at a reasonable rate?

Thanks

2. Rommel

Rommel SS.org Regular

3. Lagtastic

Lagtastic Five Align

I'm not from NYC, but depending on the quality of the work, 100$ is a good price. I pay 175$ for this type of job but you should understand why. I only take my guitars to the absolute best shop in the area. I've tried every Guitar Center and the Sam Ash in town, as well as 2 other small shops, but the guys I use really care about their work and it shows.

Their 175$ price also includes completely taking apart the tremolo, oiling all the parts, cleaning everything, rounding out any rough edges on saddles/locking nut, replacing rusty screws, gorgomyte treatment, etc. Yes, I could pay 100$ at Guitar Center, but I prefer to pay more for better quality work.

4. yellow

yellow Banned

ok cool. i cant go to jersey, too much of a trip and 30th street guitars tech is on vacation for 2 weeks. $175 is a bit steep, but ur getting almost a total resychronization rebuild so its worth it especially if ur pro/giggin/recording.

while i was waitin, i contacted a few guys aside from 30th st and also my guy, and i got quotes so im gettin a good price based on what u guys said, i just hope the works good....im paying a total of $150: for a grind n polish w/ setup included on my rg2228 ($100) + a setup for my damien elite 7 fr ($50). it would cost more usually but im bringin in both at the same time.

btw, gc is crazy $145 for a fret dress and $75 for a setup, $220! i could get a third setup while im at it on my fretless instead lol,( tho all it needs is a restring, dry humor i know)

thx guys