(New Video) Suhr 7 Custom Modern - Under a Glass Moon (Full Cover)

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by TheTrooper, Feb 9, 2017.

1. TheTrooper

TheTrooper SS.org Regular

Finally found the time to make this :hbang:

I did two live takes of the song (Using Program Changes to scroll thru Presets with MIDI); the one where I played the Solo better is displayed whiloe it is happening, the other one goes black.

(Although it may not seem like it, I re-recorded the Clean part over the one I played, because I have an unconvenient switching and couldn't get the right pickup position I wanted)

All the specs of the guitar are here: http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/showthread.php?t=313596

Hope You like it!

HaloHat, Vinchester, 77zark77 and 3 others like this.
  2. fedtowolves

fedtowolves SS.org Regular

Dude, great job and awesome new axe!

3. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

awesome cover dude

where did you get the song without guitar tracks? I play bass and this is the first time I hear the original bass soo clear, I think I might have been doing one of the riffs wrong

4. Wolfos

Wolfos SS.org Regular

I love it, that's literally my all time favourite solo. Good memories and great video!

5. Dawn of the Shred

Dawn of the Shred Blackest Of The Blackest

Sounds killer man, guitar looks very nice and clean.

6. MetalHead40

MetalHead40 SS.org Regular

Sweet guitar!

Not a fan of DT but that was some fine, fine playing there bud! Nice crunchy, tight tone. The solo was sick:yesway:

7. TheTrooper

Thanks man!
    Just put BKP Holy Divers in it, hopefully will post something new soon :agreed:

Thanks mate.
    I believe I got that from YT, the name of the channel is Jon Ph (Or something like that).
    He basically has all the tracks (vocals, backing vocals, guitars, bass, anything) of all the songs in the world, he rips them out with something (maybe he uses an oscilloscope?) from the actual song

:hbang:

Nice, Yeah.
    Clean, Mmm maybe :lol:

8. Siggevaio

Siggevaio SS.org Regular

Great job :) Awesome guitar.

9. TheTrooper

Thanks dude!

The Holy Divers in it are 2000times better than the Suhr pickups it had when I made this, wish I swapped them before

10. Eptaceros

Eptaceros Wayfarer

Awesome guitar and playthrough. The quality on those Suhrs is unreal.

What Suhr pickups did you have before you swapped them out? I've got the Aldrich's (they're called 7-hot for seven string guitars, what a dumb name) in 2 of my axe's and they're absolutely killer for all things high gain.

11. TheTrooper

Yep, Hot 7 pickups.

Bridge DC resistance: 20KOhm
    Neck DC Resistance: 11KOhm

I get the "Hot" name, but come on, why having so much output, You need it to tear down buildings?

Way too much gain and High frequency for me, also Not much mids and the on the lower strings the bass frequencies were too much.
    Koa wood is really similar to Mahogany, just less boomy, stil it has that low mid strenght.
    Plenty of Low Mids with the BKP (I didn't know Koa had that until I realized it after swapping pickups) but not OP.

Don't get me wrong, Suhr makes great pickups, these weren't suited for this particular one.
    I would be more interested in their "vintage" stuff, like the Thornbuckers.

I prefer less output from the pickups ("Less" like the BKPs have none, right :lol:) and add it with the preamp/amp.

Also the Holy Divers are AlNiCo V so no harsh high end; if I need to back them off the strings a little they actually change in response, really easy to set.
    I recorded a little Cover of this Vai solo; not much to really hear them, but You can get an idea

12. HaloHat

HaloHat 7 string Baritones

I dunno about anyone else but the tone and mix on that first video is just smokin' turned up on my 5" 100watt monitors :bowdown:

Killer playing too :metal:

Trooper would you mind sharing how you are recording? The chain? Sounds really really good.

13. TheTrooper

I appreciate your complimets, but You might want those monitors checked out because the guitars I recorded sound like balls :lol:

I believe I went straight from the Axe-Fx to the sound card, then to Mac with Under a Glass Moon; the other video (Goinn' Crazy) is the Axe-Fx Direct USB to Mac.
    I'm leaning towards the latter recently, I believe it sounds better that way.
    (the new Pickups are really doing most of the job soundwise, much less gain)

14. HaloHat

HaloHat 7 string Baritones

OK, came back to listen to this again [the first song] and saw your comment. So I tried listening with the monitors off and it didn't sound very good at all. Turned the monitors back on and sounded wicked :lol: