New Tosin Abasi signature Ibanez? in the works

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by HeHasTheJazzHands, Nov 7, 2015.

1. marcwormjim

marcwormjim SS.org Regular

Ibanez, for example.

AxeHappy likes this.
  2. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

as pointed out in this thread already...ibanez and a lot of the japanese brands used to be all about making tons of wacky crazy stuff.

3. marcwormjim

marcwormjim SS.org Regular

One of my favorite things to do at NAMM is see what ESP has chained at the top of the wall.

AxeHappy and StevenC like this.
  4. cip 123

cip 123 SS.org Regular

This. It's nice to throw out companies like fast and Skerv but there is no way in hell Tosin would be giving up a deal with Ibanez for them. He gets paid with his sig deals for his TAM's, he'll only go for a company that can mass produce ala Schecter, Ibanez, ESP.

For all we know it could well be Schecter, if they're not allowed to say just now, then people like Keith might just say "Yea it's not"

5. Malkav

Malkav Washing your dishes.

I really think this is most likely the case, it just doesn't look like something any other brand could produce or would produce in the price range that's being hinted at.

6. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

maybe its a new company something like Solar?....

also I dont think hes doing this for the money, granted its an extra income, but not one to huge. How many of TAM100 you think were actually sold?, apart from the couple in this forum?. I know theres a bigger number than we think, but prob not even close to a RG premium model would be. And the higher price wont balance it out either.

Artist not only they get a cut from it of course, but they also get either a free guitar or a heavily discounted one, plus service, ect. I think its not about the money but about the relationship between the brand and the artist what he might like better. Maybe hes just got along better with other builder rather than with Ibanez. Something as simple as a builder being exited, happy and open to his ideas, and sharing some though would play far better than a big brand saying "yeh" to Tosin. A more direct friendlier approach would play better than a more formal one. Or who knows really, no idea how those companies work behind doors.

It also plays a company willing to give him what he wants rather than putting limitations. Something like Head, he wanted evertune/fishmans, maybe Ibanez said "no". He also wanted to start fresh with something fully different tho. So maybe Tosin wanted something Ibanez said "no" to him??, maybe not on the crazy shape/specs since they build him 3 prototypes, but maybe in the "if you want that finish we have to sell it in $$$$$ like your TAM100, if you want affordable guitar you can pick a black one..."

7. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

The TAM's were the best looking 8 string Ibanez ever made imo!.

I would have loved one new but they were pricey! Still see a few on the used market every now and again though.

8. Ikke

Ikke A Dream Cartographer

Well, I wouldn't say they aren't in the market for it, but every year they show what could be done (*cough* for the right price *cough*). That being said if this new prototype is made by ESP, I would think only his prototype would look that flamboyant. Production guitar would most likely be black. And not even saying that to be snarky. Just because it would make most sense to make it black.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Ikke

Also, per artist interviews, whether it's Hetfield, Carpenter, Kelliher, or the guy with the pizza & taco guitars, ESP is apparently great to deal with. And I would think if ESP is willing to make a pizza/taco guitar, they'd be more than willing to match Tosin's Ibanez prototype without hesitation. Their artist roster is already pretty killer (especially if you include non-US artists). And, Tosin would only be another great addition for them, especially to gain more attention/influence in prog guitarist realm.

My only hangup with this being an ESP is that it doesn't say ESP on the front of the headstock. That being said, there's precedent of ESP only putting their logo on the back, so it's not out of the realm of possibility.

10. Blytheryn

Blytheryn Musical Adam West

Or to not have it on it at all. Nergal's Hex 6 has a blank headstock.

[​IMG]

Or maybe he just broke it and had it replaced?

[​IMG]

11. Ikke

That’s what I was said. The ESP logo is not on the front of the headstock. It’s on the back only.

12. cip 123

cip 123 SS.org Regular

Umm I think you may have just found the headstock most similar to Tosins...That looks like where Tosins could've started.

Also He has plenty of time to play ESP production and custom shop considering Javier has both.

13. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

Yeah Ken Lawrence’s are $7500 explorers (as of like 8 years ago). Not nasa engine parts.

Just too small a shop for production models (pricing aside).

14. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire 8 string hoarder

I've seen some going for 10k like the blue shark explorer

15. Malkav

Malkav Washing your dishes.

Guys you're all wrong, it can't be an ESP, if it were there'd be a big rectangle on the twelfth fret that would say something like "TA-11045" or "Suk it Ibanez" :D

jk

A-Branger, xzacx, Dahl and 2 others like this.
  16. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

They’ve actually seemed to have done away with the block at the 12th this year.

I’d like the block is they just always said “ESP” on the inlay.

HeHasTheJazzHands likes this.
  17. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

12th fret block inlay always looks terrible.

glassmoon0fo, xzacx and theicon2125 like this.
  18. stinkoman

stinkoman Contributor

If it goes in to production, I hope they keep that super tight spacing. I'm probably in the minority with that though.

19. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

That would be straight up awesome.

lewis likes this.
  20. cip 123

cip 123 SS.org Regular

Highly doubt Keith is starting his own company considering he's about to release several new sigs with Schecter, and I hardly think he would go in to direct competition with his friend, they would have more to gain going in partnership.

lewis and HeHasTheJazzHands like this.