New to tube amp?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Kotex, May 1, 2007.

1. Kotex

Kotex Trippin' balls

I think it would be cool if we had a stickied thread (or something) with all the info about tube amps (or just amps period). Like the do's and don't. How to see your cabs Ohms rating, what signs to look for on dead tubs, what tubs are good/bad. Basically everyhting having to do with do's and dont's and neat info.

That way people don't blow transformers out on their amps.lol

Well, I obviously don't know that much, so it's up to you guys to get it started (if you like the idea).

~Kotex

P.S.Mods please add an "S" to amp. lol Thanks

2. zimbloth

zimbloth Nick // Axe Palace

All you have to do to see your cabs Ohms rating is to look at the back of the cab.

3. Toshiro

Toshiro ....

Don't turn your tube amp on without a load. Be that an attentuator run as a full load, or preferably a cabinet. :lol:

Always bias, or have a tech do it when changing power tubes, unless you've got a Mesa. :lol: This goes double for people with the EL34/5881 switches on their amps, this is not an auto bias! (I say this, because my Laney biased for 6L6s will run EL34 at almost double their correct mA if all you do is flip that switch. Bad-Bad-Bad.)

There's a start for you.

4. MF_Kitten

MF_Kitten Set up us the bomb

i don´t have a tube amp, and i´ve always wondered what bias is on an amp... what do you do with the bias switch thingie, and why?

5. Toshiro

Toshiro ....

Simple answer: It's setting the idle current draw of the power tubes based on the plate voltage. Too hot and you get a mushy sound which eats tubes faster, too cold and you get "crossover distortion" and fizzyness, among other things. Of the 2, cold would be preferable, but neither is good.

Switches, like the EL34/5881 on a Laney GH50L, only get the amp's voltage and the internal trim pot into the range it needs to be in.

Google-fu answer:
    http://www.athensmusician.net/archive/2004-04-23_tubes.php

6. Lord_Kain

Lord_Kain Nov Schmoz Ka Pop?

are you just posting this cause you blew up your amp by using an instrument cable instead of speaker cables?:scream:

7. spkenn5

spkenn5 a n00b

i definitely need some help on this.. im lookin for a combo tube.. but i dont know what's good for the money :) and about blowing the amp i'd hate to see that happen to me lol

8. Leon

Leon {##[====:::.

it's a good idea, but it's what the whole Gear forum is for :). most of us (myself included) run tube amps, so any specific questions you've got, try doing a forum search. if you can't find the topic discussed before, start a new one.

9. Kotex

Kotex Trippin' balls

It wasn't really for me, but just for everybody. I already know what I did wrong and what to do now and all that good stuff. I was making so you could collect into one thread, that way you don't need to search all over. Like we have the pick-up thread and so on.