New to the Forum and 7 strings

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by dumbarse, Apr 18, 2005.

1. dumbarse

dumbarse SS.org Regular

Hi, my name is Chris. I've been lurking the forum for awhile, lots of great information here. I recently picked up an RG 7620, I have been paying B tuned guitars for years (stuff like Carcass and Cryptopsy) but decided to get a 7 string and try to make use of its extended range. Looking forward to talking to everyone, hopefully I can make some useful contributions to discussions as well. :metal:

P.S – What are some good songs to learn that actually make use of some of the things you can do with a 7 string?

Oh yah and here’s a pic of my 7 string

[​IMG]

2. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Welcome to the board! I'm a 7620VK owner, too - it's an attractive guitar, and I'm always glad to see more of 'em around here. :)

Stuff to make use of the entire range... Well, Dream Theater and Steve Vai are the two obvious ones. Also, how's your chord theory? These things rock for jazz comping and chord-melody type stuff. And likewise for classical - in fact, there's a Bach prelude I arranged in the lessons section that works nicely on a 7. ;) Yeah, shameless plug...

Have fun with the new guitar!

3. kman

kman lllllll

Welcome to the forum, nice guitar :yesway:

4. BCrowell

BCrowell Cubicle Dweller Contributor

Welcome! Alright, another 7620 owner! :cool: These guitars really rock!
    :shred:

IMHO, forget learning what others have done on a seven and just see what you can come up with! The most innovative stuff I've heard on 7s always seems to come from that mentality.

5. Metal Ken

Metal Ken Hates the Air Contributor

Hell yes \m/

6. Leon

Leon {##[====:::. Contributor

:wavey:

i learned some Dream Theater after i got my RG7621. Just Let Me Breathe was the first i tried, then i started to hack away at ACOS (after learning the first ~4:30, i haven't found much time to progress).

7. dumbarse

dumbarse SS.org Regular

Thanks for the warm welcome and all the suggestions :yesway:, the Dream Theatre songs and the Bach prelude look interesting. Drew, my chord theory pretty much sucks, but it is something I want to work on. The Lessons page as well as the Lessons & Techniques forum (particularly the Other online resources for 7 strings sticky) have been very useful.

8. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

HB'er's got a great intro to chord theory in the Lessons forum - definitely give it a read, it'll help you get started! :shred:

9. Shawn

Shawn Ibanez Guitars Forum MVP

Welcome, Dumbarse. Nice 7620! They are great. It was my first 7-string as well and I still have it to this day.