New to recording - latency issues

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by Leberbs, Sep 14, 2018.

1. Leberbs

Leberbs SS.org Regular

I have a helix and scarlett solo. I'm trying to use direct monitoring through my computer speakers, but I have a huge delay from when I hit the string vs the sound coming out of the speakers.
    What am I doing wrong here?

2. axxessdenied

axxessdenied Arium Addict

Most likely your buffer size is too large. You'll want to set it as low as you can without having any weird clicks or pops while recording.

3. makecamera

makecamera SS.org Regular

4. Leberbs

Leberbs SS.org Regular

I went through all that. The issue is I'm not running through a DAW at the moment and I don't have a speaker cab. I'm just trying to use my PC speakers as a cab without having to run cables all around my room. I thought the scarlett solo was the answer to that.

5. makecamera

So then, given your latency issues, I imagine you're running your Scarlett as input and your PC sound card as output within your operating system's audio configuration? If so, you'll want the Scarlett to be your input and output, which means hooking up your PC speakers to your Scarlett (you'll probably need an adapter for this) so you can use direct monitoring. Or doing what @axxessdenied said and lowering your audio buffer.

But I'm not really sure I understand why you're trying to do this unless you have no budget for headphones or studio monitors. If you're not recording, then a decent pair of budget headphones direct to Helix is going to give you your best listening experience.

6. Leberbs

Leberbs SS.org Regular

Well, the end goal is to be able to be able to rehearse with a backing track through headphones or speakers. So, what's the easiest way to do this without huge latency issues?
    Also, if I went the headphone route, I'd need a fairly long cable (which is what I was trying to avoid by using the scarlett). Which headphones have a decent length cable? Or ones that you'd recommend?

7. makecamera

To play with a backing track on you PC (the simplest way), I'd plug you Helix in to the PC via USB (it's an audio interface just like your Scarlett). Set your PCs audio configuration to output its sound through your Helix as opposed to your PC sound card. Then, plug a set of headphones into your Helix with a generic headphone extension cable you can buy from Amazon (it's what I use with my Beyerdynamic DT 770 pro and also my budget Sennheiser HD280 Pro). This is exactly how I use my Axe-Fx. If you don't want headphones, then studio monitors or FRFR PA speaker works too (but generally more expensive than headphones).

Is it your Helix that is far away from your PC and you don't want to move it? If so, you can do the same thing but Helix -> Scarlett input <-USB-> PC (sound output configured to Scarlett) // Headphones -> Scarlett (direct monitoring enabled).

Flappydoodle likes this.
  8. axxessdenied

just hook up your PC speakers to the scarlett's headphone output. You dont want to use the actual soundcard on your PC.

Flappydoodle likes this.
  9. vejichan

vejichan SS.org Regular

What buffer size is everybody running for tracking and practicing..

10. axxessdenied

I use studio one which has a low latency mode so I can actually set my buffer to whatever and still record with ease. But, you typically want your buffer size to be as low as your CPU can handle without causing any weird clicks or pops

11. Leberbs

Leberbs SS.org Regular

This is exactly how I had everything hooked up. Even still, I could not get the direct monitoring to work correctly. I've adjusted buffer size to 16, but it just ain't happening. I have to be doing something wrong.

It's not that I don't want to move the helix, I was just looking for a solution where I could route, blend, mute, playback, A/B, etc. audio through a single piece of equipment. Maybe it's late at night and I want to rehearse silently or maybe it's during the day and I can rehearse with monitors/speakers - I find it much more convenient to have everything plugged in and ready to go on either scenario with the flip of a switch or a click of the mouse.
    Maybe the scarlett doesn't have these capabilities or I'm just retarded.

12. makecamera

You definitely should not have any latency if both input and output are via the Scarlett and you're using direct monitoring. In this case no setting on your PC will make a difference, as the PC is only supplying power to the Scarlett (via USB). If using direct monitoring, you're essentially routing the instrument input on the Scarlett (Input 2) directly to the headphone out within the Scarlett itself. The signal is not going to the PC, being processed, and then being sent back out.

13. axxessdenied

I think you should consider contacting customer support. I have no idea how the scarlett works but I know they can have weird issues.