New to here, thanks Drew!

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by BCrowell, Apr 13, 2005.

1. BCrowell

BCrowell Cubicle Dweller Contributor

All,
    Names Brian, I've hung out at Jemsite over the years. After watching Dave Weiner live :bowdown: , i was on fire to obtain a 7-string. With help & advice from Drew and a few others... an RG7620 is on it's way :cool: !! Before then I got a chance to play on my friends (who collects) UV7...WOW! See below for pics of the 7620 on it's way (Bought from Eric's Guitars, highly recommended!). It has an EVO / NA pickup combo.

I had the UV7 long enough to record "Dave's Party Piece" http://maggielynn.com/Brian/Dave'sPartyPiece.mp3
    <--right click, save as... Have a listen...any all comments welcome...

Brief Bio - Playing for 16 years, listen to everything from Enya to RATT, except RAP/hiphop... Was a music major, with guitar & MIDI as my instruments until the professor's lack of vision pissed some of us off. (He didn't like MIDI guitars...piano only...)Then I switched to Electronics Engineering, hoping to work for Digitech, Mesa, Ibanez, etc.. Instead I worked for DeWALT until recently...

I'm not a real shredder, and most of my own stuff is fingerstyle....I'm gonna love the extra B string!! I did record one rocker on the seven:

http://maggielynn.com/Brian/Livin_Free.mp3

If it's any good I might put on the jukebox (lemme know if it's not worthy)

Anyway, if you wanna know more, goto :
    http://maggielynn.com/Brian/music.html

2. WayneCustom7

WayneCustom7 Paolo Contributor

Right on Bro! Post it in the JukeBox, its WORTHY :bowdown: We're not worthy, We're not worthy. Welcome :hbang:

3. Chris

Chris metalguitarist.org Forum MVP

Welcome man. :wavey:

4. Leon

Leon {##[====:::. Contributor

:wavey:
    you're in good company here!

5. Digital Black

Digital Black SS.org Regular

Hello and I hope you learn to enjoy your new 7 and this forum.
    7620's are sweet..

6. BCrowell

Thanks for the warm welcome all! I'm really excited about the new 7! I always had a problem, in that each one of my guitars filled a certain nitch but couldn't fill it all. An SA160QM, good for a nice strat-like sound and reliant tuning, An RG270, my learner 24-fret but with a floyd rose that goes outta tune when you touch it, A Epi Ltd Ed Les, that sounded great but "where's the whammy!". Now I'm hoping, especially with the Dimarzio PU already installed, that this 7620 will REPLACE THEM ALL! MWHAAA ha!
    I also just noticed Eric had a banner here too...

So the question is...what should I do with all those 6-strings?

Wayne, thanks for the vote of confidence, I submitted it to Chris. After listening to the jukebox for an hour, all ya'll rock...man, some serious undiscovered talent here!

Chris, thanks for making this very helpfull and informative sight...a good group of open minded people too!!

7. WayneCustom7

WayneCustom7 Paolo Contributor

Its a great site, lots of expertise, lots of great people, not only talented and wise but friendly and inspiring...plus we have some really great interviews...now if that don't light a fire under someones arse, heck I don't know what will!

8. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Brian, good to see you did in fact sign up here, this place rocks. :) The pickups in the 7620 (unless they've been swapped for something else) are Dimarzio "New 7's" custom-wound for Ibanez. Word has it (and, having played them as well as an AN/TZ7 set in my 7620) they're not quite on par with aftermarket dimarzios but still quite good - my first though when I plugged in the 7620 I ended up buying was "Damn, Ibanez sure got a lot better at making pickups since I bought my 520..." as I didn't know they were Dimarzio. ;)

Anyway, there's some mad talent here and a bunch of great guys - welcome into the fold!

-D

9. BCrowell

Drew, originally Eric said they came with Blaze PU, but he swapped them out for an EVO 7 for the bridge and an NA for the neck. I am a little worried that the EVO may be too hot at times, as I actually prefer a FRED in the bridge, but they don't make a 7-FRED yet do they?

10. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Eh, there's a lot of debate, and originally Ibanez catalogues stated they came with Blaze's. This turned out to be not the case, as they came with what were originally called "Custom 7's," which were later renamed "New 7's," and as Ibanez spec's "Blaze" pickups, not "Blaze II's" as Dimarzio calls them (even though they're the same pickup), it's just one big tangle.

The upshot is, they're custom-wound dimarzio's, the bridge being based loosely on a Super Distortion, and the neck on I forget what.

The Air Norton in the neck is an awesome, awesome pickup. It's a tossup between that and the Blaze neck for me - I've never talked to anyone who hasn't raved about it. The Evo7 was amazing in mahogany, and should be at least fairly good in basswood - I believe Toshino had one in his 7620 and loved it, so maybe he can chime in.

No Fred7 yet, but it's similar to a higher-output PAF Pro. As such, a PAF might be fairly close, although I can't speak from experience. If not, maybe try a few duncans? A Duncan Custom 7 might be a good match.

11. Chris

Chris metalguitarist.org Forum MVP

You've been Jukebox'd sir. :)

12. TheReal7

TheReal7 Mr. Melody Contributor

Welcome to the forum :)