New to fitness. Need to lose some weight..where to start?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle, Health, Fitness & Food' started by lewis, Jan 14, 2017.

1. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I find the tricky part about health or fitness just in general is that you can't really half-a** it. You can't say "I exercise a bit so I should be fine, right?" or "I eat salads, so why do I need to do anything else?" I know lots of well intentioned people who do one or two token things "right" in the hopes of excusing the parts of their lifestyle that actually contribute much more to their unhealthiness, and it gets them nowhere. I know some who have super active jobs but come home at the end of the day, eat a meal fit for 3 people, spend the rest of the day with a bag of chips on the couch, and wonder why they don't look or feel healthy. I know a good number of people who "totally lift, bro", but still somehow look more unhealthy than I do.

So I guess the trick to becoming healthier is not to just pile up on token healthy things, so much as identifying whatever is being the most detrimental to your health and fixing that.

2. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Edited to a a more general statement, because this is (IMO) one of those fundamental truths that applies to virtually everything.

3. gnoll

gnoll SS.org Regular

Hmm, I can agree with that to an extent, but at the same time... You gotta start somewhere, and eating some veggies is better than eating no veggies. Exercising a little bit is better than not exercising at all. If people have a salad for lunch and feel that they're doing something right, that's probably better than them thinking "this fitness thing is too hard" and not doing ANYTHING.

Sometimes you just don't have the time or energy to give something 100%. I wish I went to the gym more often. I haven't reached my fitness goals by any means. I'm not going to the gym today even though I know I "should", because I just need to prioritize other things. But I'm gonna get some training done at home, because that's better than nothing.

4. Semi-pro

Semi-pro SS.org Regular

Got a gym card as Xmas gift from my fiancé, as well as a few meetings with a pt. I'm freakin' loving the whole thing! Already seeing some results after 4 weeks.

I thought it would be harder but everything's actaully pretty simple, just thought I'd share in a nutshell what I've learned this far:

Time management problems? If possible at all, get up early and go to the gym in the morning before work if you can. I've realised that it's 10x easier to sneak in that hour before your day starts than afterwards. No, you won't be too shot to work after the workout. Just grab around 300 kcal (all bran cereal, a smoothie/banana) and you're goot to go. Arnold used to train with empty stomach in the mornings, so it can't be all wrong. Especially if you're trying to lose weight not gain mass.

Problems with what to eat? Calculate your macros (google helps!) and get an app like Fat secret or My fitness pal. Fill in what you eat and keep your eye on the daily total. Simple as that. :yesway:

Need carbs but you've almost filled your daily fat? Cereal, banana etc.
    Need protein but you've almost filled your carbs? Switch quark to cottage cheese (same amount of protein, much less carbs). Or eggs. Too fatty? Just the egg white.
    Need fat? Some avocado, tuna, cashew nuts...

You'll quickly learn where to get the macros you need (and how to avoid what you do not want).

The truth is that you must exercise AND eat right. Or be lucky as hell. You don't need to hit the gym, but then google some home exercise program. And use those free apps, they make everything so much easier. You'll quickly forget that döner you had for lunch and the rest of the day will be ruined if you don't compensate that somehow.

"Those who don't plan, plan to fail." -Some famous dude somewhere

5. canuck brian

canuck brian Bowes Guitars Contributor

The biggest key to me losing weight was counting my calories. There's a saying "abs are made in the kitchen." You can work out until you're blue in the face but unless you're under your expended energy for the day, you're not going to lose fat.

6. AxeHappy

AxeHappy SS.org Regular

Abs are built in the gym, same as any other muscle, but they are absolutely revealed in the kitchen.

Then again, abs on a skinny guy are like big .... on a fat chick. They don't count. Squat less than 315 and your abs are meaningless.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
  7. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire tinkerer/aspiring builder/8 string hoarder

Most guys won't see their abs until they're 15% body fat or lower (usually lower). Nothing wrong with training them from the get go but seeing abs largely comes down to diet not exercise. You'll never have rippling abs if you don't eat properly.

8. 7 Strings of Hate

7 Strings of Hate Mid-Level Asshole Contributor

Lets be honest. You can pretty much eat what you want. Its really portion control. Eat sh#tty? Its ok if you keep it to a very small serving. Want to eat a lot? Then eat some leafy veggies or something.

Part of my weight loss (lost 70lbs a few years ago) was to admit i just like to eat. And thats ok if its the right stuff. White popcorn, most veggies, rice cakes. Stuff like that you can eat until you feel full and its not going to screw over your day. If you cant break past the will power, then use it to your advantage and know your weakness and allow yourself foods that you can eat as much as you want.

9. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I'm going to disagree on some level with this on the basis that you can really mess with your health by reducing your intake without being careful that you're still getting what you need. It could be something as simple as hydration - since a lot of the water we take in comes from food (as opposed to literally drinking water). A reduction in fiber can also mess with your system. Maybe all of the sudden you're getting dizzy because you lack iron or something like that. I've made some mistakes, and I'll leave the consequences to your imagination.

I'm with you on the rest of it though. I know very well that my weight has a lot to do with my relationship with food- and like you said, a lot of that is just that I really like eating. Food is great. Combine that with the fact that I work sitting down and most of my hobbies aren't very active. Being aware of this and using it to inform what you're deciding to eat definitely sounds like a step in the right direction, and I did something like that a while back too. I knew I liked eating a lot, so I figured if I'm going to do it anyway, I should just eat a lot of something that isn't going to do as much harm. Lots of salad. Lots of fruit/veg. Cut out soda. Cut out deserts. I also cut out pasta for the most part, despite really liking it. The one thing I still eat lots of that's arguably "bad" is bread. Next step was portion control. Then once you've built up the portion control, the choices of what to eat can get a little more strategic.

10. pwsusi

pwsusi SS.org Regular

11. Semi-pro

Semi-pro SS.org Regular

True. And while you're at it, why not go on to...

This. And while you're at it, why not count the macros instead? :) It's not a big stretch and the calories will end up in the same ballpark automatically. You'd be surprised how differently you eat each day! Plus, in the end of the day you'll be high-fiving yourself for once again nailing the daily goal while writing down the last bite before sleep.

I saw a documentary on fat recently and it basically said that too much of anything will end up stored in fat. So if your ~2000 kcal GDA is all carbs and fat and not enough protein, you might not even be going to the right direction. Keep your eyes on the correct macros (aim around 300 kcal below the daily GDA if you wanna lose weight), work out and watch your weight drop!

I agree. Used to be at ~15% and there was no abs. Listen to any pro and they'll tell you that the abs are there, but they're covered on the last grams of fat your body will ever get rid of. The ab and core exercises are for proper support and posture reasons, not for growing up a bunch of tennis balls in there. Only if you're big already it will be reasonable to use your valuable time to single out that group for growing purposes.

Let's hear what Scooby has to say: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95xRTID478I