New symphonic Black metal recording

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by iron blast, Nov 7, 2010.

1. iron blast

iron blast Northern Winds

This song has been my bands latest work We have been working really hard to get a decent master on it Ill go into gear details later.<object height="81" width="100%"> <param name="movie" value="http://player.soundcloud.com/player.swf?url=http%3A%2F%2Fapi.soundcloud.com%2Ftracks%2F6800391&secret_url=false"></param> <param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param> <embed allowscriptaccess="always" height="81" src="http://player.soundcloud.com/player.swf?url=http%3A%2F%2Fapi.soundcloud.com%2Ftracks%2F6800391&secret_url=false" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="100%"></embed> </object> <span><a href="http://soundcloud.com/abysmal-dawn/transylvanian-concubine-mix-2-mastered">Transylvanian Concubine mix 2 mastered</a> by <a href="http://soundcloud.com/abysmal-dawn">Abysmal dawn</a></span>

Tree, Cyanide Assassin, Sofos and 3 others like this.
  2. iron blast

We used Pod Farm with Impulses for guitar tones, different samples for Church organs With different Cathedral impulsses, Korg micro synth, yamaha 76 keyboard and an M-audio middi controller for synth and sample control A MXL and Audio Technica Condenser mics A Ampeg B2R head and Svt 4x10 bass cab Wave Labs mastering pluggins, Ezdrummer for drum sounds with some various steven slater samples and a whole slew of other fun stuff. sorry my spelling and grammar sucks. but I hope you enjoy

3. Stealthdjentstic

Stealthdjentstic Banned

That was pretty awesome, nice work man. :metal:

4. iron blast

Im glad you liked it. Hows the mix?

5. Stealthdjentstic

Stealthdjentstic Banned

It's black metal so I didn't pay much attention to anything regarding the mix to be honest :lol:

It was clear though.

6. iron blast

lol nice man.

7. iron blast

We went for a more modern clean mix on this one vs the more raw Emperror esque sound on our older stuff. I cant wait to use my new fretless bass on our new material. We are getting alot more gear over these next few months. hopefully our sound quality will get alot better.

8. iron blast

Come on guys no advice on the mix? Do you like the song, hate it anything? Gear questions? We put alot of work in this plz comment.

9. Prime

Prime Crazy Robot Guy

Needs more low end. Drums need work. JMO.

Also...Your embedding says "This track is currently unavailable." I clicked the link below it...but others may think there is nothing here to listen to. That may be why you aren't getting more responses.

10. enForce1

enForce1 youtube/bcdude

Liked those filthy high pitched screams *wink* and enjoyed the whole song throughout :)

11. iron blast

Thanks for the responses what frequencies need boosting in the lows and what could be fixed on the drums? Any advice is greatly apreciated.

enForce1 Liked those filthy high pitched screams *wink* and enjoyed the whole song throughout .
    Yeah we wanted to do it wit a little more balls than the recent cradle stuff it is obviously an influence lol. Thanks again for the responses

12. Stealthdjentstic

Stealthdjentstic Banned

There are some nice frequency guides that explain which part of a drum kit relates to each frequency, goooggggggle!!!!

13. Sofos

Sofos СофоƆ Contributor

Fuckin love this track <3 especially the riff towards the end. so sexy

14. Cyanide Assassin

Cyanide Assassin play me some metal!!

i really like this man. the link says its unavailable but the link under it works fine. sounds awesome.

15. iron blast

Thanks guys My band Ethereal Blood have worked alot on this. We have other songs on our myspace as well as this one. We are redoing the other songs so they will be on par with this one. We are still getting more gear to better our sound as we go too like more drum gear for recording I just bought some kick mics and Im planning on getting better overheads a few more Shure sm 57's ,either a line 6 hd 500 or X3 to help guitars abit. Im torn between a U.A. twinfinety and an Avalon u5 to direct/line with for bass, keyboards and vocals. A new mixing board is high on the priority list Im not certain wich one we will go with I am open to suggestions. We are also getting a M Audio 88 keystation pro to control samples synth and piano/organ sounds Im wanting replace our Allesis d4 drum module soon as well If only the roland Td20 wasnt $2,500 its so sexy I may break down and get an old ddrum 4 module for the price they still sound excellent. The list of gas goes on but those will be upgrades in the following months.

16. iron blast

So this is your profile. I had been trying to find you on here for a min bro thanks for the comments.:metal::shred:

17. georg_f

georg_f SS.org Regular

so Black Metal means that there can be no bass frequencies? Never ever?

the song is cool though... Dani Filth on vocals it seems ;)

18. iron blast

Lol yes Dani was an obvious influence. We need better gear for bass. I cant seem to get decent umph to this mix either. as soon as I try to raise my lower frequencies it starts muddying my mix any suggestions on what frequencies to boost and cut thanks for the response man.

19. georg_f

georg_f SS.org Regular

hmm... it sounds like there's nothing there below 300hz (an estimation)

maybe you don't need to raise bass, maybe there is some high pass somewhere
    basically check the signal chain of the bass guitar and the bass drum if there is a low cut (or high pass) somewhere

or maybe your mixing monitors have an overpowering sub woofer and therefore it sounds alright on your setup, but not on other peoples stereo
    To avoid this, you could always put in a great sounding reference CD (in that case e.g. a Cradle of Filth CD) and compare if your mix has too less bass or too much high mids etc.

20. iron blast

thanks man I'll see if that helps we do have a hi pass filter on some things I'll try getting that fixed we where trying to make holes in the mix for bass to keep it from muddying up but This is our first attempt at mastering so we could've made a few mistakes We wanted to be able to hear everything clearly in the mix I think that was accomplished drums can use some tweeking and the mix needs more oomph and bass are there any other things that could be tweeked? the compression isnt squashing anything to much is it? Its always awesome to have more experience ears available.