New Schecter 2016 models and leaks (more explorer and superstratz)

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by HeHasTheJazzHands, Oct 11, 2013.

1. Zado

Zado SS.org Regular

Afair Schecter always had models around 800 usd, even when the whole catalog was just hellraiser and blackjack models. Nowthe production has expanded a lot, and while price increased no doubt, the overall quality of hardware and materials you can find in their high end DS production has increased as well. I mean, the one I posted is a koa top guitar loaded with top notch hardware and USA custom shop pickups, which are far pricier than your regular duncans and Emgs. Selling that for 500$ would make no sense imho

2. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire 8 string hoarder

the quality for the diamond series is definitely higher than it used to be years ago. They're worth the money imo.

3. MFB

MFB ExBendable

I don't doubt that at all, it's more this part:

That just makes me wonder why its still part of the Diamond series if it's that much higher quality? Like I said, when I first started playing back in 2004, the D.S. was Omen/Damien 6's and whatnot going for like $300, and then you had the Blackjacks/Hellraisers in the line above that, I wanna say like SLS or something (I remember the Hellraiser in white with EMGs and just a single inlay) and that was like $6-900ish. Then you got into the Signature lines, and then USA/CS after both of those.

So, to me, it seems confusing to have something that used to have that notion (base model for beginners) applied to it now costing 3x the price when it's not that at all apparently.

4. KnightBrolaire

They still make beginner level guitars but they're not part of the diamond series iirc. The quality of guitar you can get for around 300$ or more anymore is pretty amazing unless it's a china/india jackson (those are all still pretty hit or miss quality wise). Schecter has come a looong way since the early 2000s (I still have nightmares about all the red hellraisers with gothic crosses/shit tons of abalone) both in quality and responding quickly to market preferences about pickups/hardware.

5. MFB

MFB ExBendable

:yesway:

That makes sense if the beginner line is no longer the Diamond then, and looking on their site, it looks like their base line is just the model with no suffix/series after it; traditionally with Ibby/ESP, something totally new gets added to the middle of the line-up (Iron Label/E-II), but this looks like Schecter bumped everything up and added to the bottom of the totem pole. The way they shuffled the names seems like a lot more work than it needed to be, but hey, they're the ones making the money not me :lol:

6. Pikka Bird

Pikka Bird Vaya Con Cornholio

It'd be nice if ALL brands would stop using high class words to describe their entry level products. Diamond Series suggests something that's pretty snazzy so it stands to reason that the name should represent something that's not the cheapest they can knock out. Jackson's "Pro" suffix and BC Rich's "Platinum Series" come to mind too.

7. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

I believe the diamond series started around 1999 or 2000 as their Korean import series as I think they were US production only until that point. Someone correct me if I'm wrong though.

I have a diamond series A7 from 1999 or 2000, and it's an excellent guitar. The only poor quality thing is the licenced floyd. But I don't think anyone was making good quality licenced trems at that time, especially not for 7's.

I think Diamond Series must have dropped in qualiry over the years, only to come back up again to the current day, as I do also have a mid-2000's 007 which is basically firewood.

8. DeepSixed

DeepSixed SS.org Regular

SLS just stands for "Slim Line Series" they have slimmer compound radius necks. Schecter's naming conventions are confusing as all getout. That said, I have a Blackjack SLS FR-S that cost more than a grand and is worth every single penny. It's a truly fine quality guitar.

9. cardinal

cardinal SS.org Regular

^ yeah, even at $1.2k or so, the Diamond Series Schecters I've played at that price point were freaking great guitars at whatever price.

10. Church2224

Church2224 Guitar Whore

More info on the 24 Fretters...

They are going to be a lot more like an RG and ESP M-II, so more "Shreddy"

Also, they will have the Options for a 3 x 3 or 3 x 4 headstock for both the 6 and 7 string models. Mine will have the 6 and 7 in a row headstock and I think that will be an option as well. HSH and I believe HSS Will also be available.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. cip 123

cip 123 SS.org Regular

So we talking USA Banshee shape? or still more pointy than that?

And when are they available to order?

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
  12. possumkiller

possumkiller SS.org Regular

Very interesting.

13. KnightBrolaire

Same here, I have a blackjack Avenger 8 and it's a really great guitar, I'd put it on par with my overload and kiesels as far as playability/fretwork/finish (though it's pretty hard to fuck up a solid black finish lol). Far better than my last boden os8 I got and far cheaper too.

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  14. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

So basically the Banshees are coming back? Awesome.

How about any additions to the SVS series?

15. Zado

Zado SS.org Regular

16. cardinal

cardinal SS.org Regular

Love the Tempest shape.

17. Zado

Zado SS.org Regular

When it comes into vintage shape, same for me

18. Zado

Zado SS.org Regular

19. KnightBrolaire

the orange one is dooope

20. cardinal

cardinal SS.org Regular

I don't get it. Schecter makes a 6-string and they have no problem giving it the correct number of frets (22). But they make a 7 string and it must have 24 frets and a long scale. Blah.