New Sacha Baron Cohen !!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by IB-studjent-, May 18, 2012.

1. IB-studjent-

IB-studjent- SS.org Regular

The movie looks hilarious, and as an arab I approve this message !
    The Dictator Trailer (2012) - YouTube

2. Ryan-ZenGtr-

Ryan-ZenGtr- SS.org Regular

Is he making a valid social statement regarding bigotry and xenophobia, or is he just being stupid and exploiting the reactions of the unaware?

With Cohen I can never tell. :noplease:

Perhaps I'll see this sometime and judge for myself. I'm sure there's some laughs in there.

3. broj15

broj15 SS.org Regular

It looks like it should have some good laughs but I can't help but feel like he keeps remaking Borat over and over but with shittier results each time. Might be worth watching on netflix when the time comes, but i definitely wouldn't pay to see it in a theater

4. BlackMastodon

BlackMastodon \m/ (゚Д゚) \m/

The Megan Fox (pretty sure it was her) was pretty funny. I'm hoping they don't put every funny bit in the commercials like they did with Borat; killed that movie for me.

5. MastrXploder

MastrXploder SS.org Regular

It was fun to watch. It doesnt have all the "real" factor of borat and bruno though and had a more scripted movie and plot type feeling. A lot of funny parts in it for sure. But a lot of weird ones too

6. Xaios

Xaios <b><font color="#C6FF00">Foolish Mortal</font></b>

Sasha Baron Cohen's usual schtick doesn't really do anything for me. I really enjoyed his performance in Talladega Nights, but that's about it.

7. Konfyouzd

Konfyouzd Dread-I Master

This is what I wonder.

I think a lot of it only serves to encourage poking fun at that which is unfamiliar... But I could just be an overly sensitive hippy. :shrug:

8. Chickenhawk

Chickenhawk Monolithic A.D.-dibs

I seriously doubt this one is going to be like Borat or Bruno. Very very little actual interaction with people that aren't in on the plot.

It's more of a 'movie' than 'Borat'.

Mind you, I fucking love anything this man does.

9. Murdstone

Murdstone Sycamore Trees

I'm sorry but this looks godawful. I enjoyed some of Borat, but hated Bruno. This looks even worse.

10. Aftermath1

Aftermath1 SS.org Regular

Watched this Wednesday night and I found it really funny. Loved Borat and Bruno was well... too much. But this was great. Plenty of immature humour (the best type imo).

11. Lagtastic

Lagtastic Five Align

I like! :cool:

Except for the hotel scene with the big naked fat guy. Skip that part.

12. pentecost

pentecost SS.org Regular

seems like a lot of comedic actors have one schtick that they apply to multiple roles. how many times has will ferrell put the same character traits into a 'different' role now? jim carrey used to do the same thing, it's all a matter of blending slapstick with a pinch of ridiculous (but memorable) one-liners.

what really baffles me is that both carrey and ferrell are both surprisingly capable dramatic actors when they aren't trying to be funny. i wonder if they didn't just get bored with that type-casted role. 'stranger than fiction' and 'semi-pro' are night and day.

13. gunshow86de

gunshow86de Beef Jerky Time

:agreed:

After the Borat movie came out, it was nearly impossible for him to shoot that style of movie again. He couldn't really do Bruno the way it was meant to be done. He couldn't get honest reactions because too many people recognized him. If you want to see "good" Bruno, you're going to have to watch the old Ali G Show skits, when he was a nobody in the USA.

My favorite Ali G skit. "Why was there so many sick animals in Vietnam?"