New Rig Day (OCD sufferers beware)

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by broj15, Nov 30, 2015.

1. broj15

broj15 SS.org Regular

So I think I've finally got my rig all lined out more or less. Pics first and then words:

Fender Hot Rod Deville 4x10 and a Peavey 6505 2x12... my Bass players Fender rumble 150 is just taking up space and will hopefully be gone soon.

[​IMG]

...and then there's this mess of cables and adapters :lol:

[​IMG]

So let me try and make sense of what I have going on

'92 RG570 -> Morley ABY Switch (output A) -> Fulltone OCD ->6505 Low Gain Input

6505 effects send ->Boss GE-7 -> 6505 effects return

Morley ABY Switch (output B) -> Fender HRD Input
    Fender HRD Preamp Out -> Mr. Black Supermoon Reverb -> Fender HRD Power Amp In

Not 100% complete yet. I plan on getting some kind of power brick as opposed to running everything off of separate adapters + power strip and I need to get a real pedal board and some zip ties to tame the cable situation (my bass player took 1 look at it and said it was "the most convoluted thing I've ever seen" :lol:).

It was pretty late once we got it back to our practice space and got everyone set up so i haven't had much time to really tweak my eq and get it dialed in, but from what little I played I can assure you this thing sounds monsterous. Right now I'm using the HRD for cleans and spacey stuff (with some help from the Super Moon) and the 6505 for riffs and other dirty stuff, but I'm interested to experiment with running both amps stereo (maybe blend the clean channel of the HRD with the 6505 for more note definition? :idea:)

2. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

Nice! I used to have the same 6505 combo and it was killer for anything heavy. Have you tried it on the green channel/crunch and the gain turned up for heavy rhythm sounds? Less bite and grind than the red channel, but it's super chunky and huge sounding. Great for soloing or a different flavor of rhythm.

HNAD!

3. jamesfarrell

jamesfarrell Use to Djent

Before the cables, the OCD set in. Three different brands of amps in close proximity to each other is a big no no.

4. Jaxcharvel

Jaxcharvel SS.org Regular

When I had my 5150 I always used to run an OCD in front of it in leui of a TS. Something about that combination sounded amazing. Although I haven't liked the OCD boosting any other amp I've tried it with.

5. NinjaRaf

NinjaRaf SS.org Regular

5150/6505 212 combo is my favorite amp of all time. The crunch channel, gain at about 8, crunch and bright in....... yeah. Killer metal rhythm tones there.

6. broj15

broj15 SS.org Regular

Well, had practice for the first time last night and ran into just a couple issues. The amp sounds huge on it's own when I'm getting it dialed in, however my drummer complains it's not loud enough (tried both the red and green channel boosted with the OCD, pre gain on 1 and post gain around 6-7) but if I turn it up any louder I get feedback, even when the volume on the guitar is rolled off. Turning off the OCD or lowering the post gain stops the issue. I've never had this problem with my HRD which I also boosted with the OCD and i must admit the HRD is definitely louder.

Also My bass player claims that it sounds "distant and tinny" (though any time he doen't like a guitar tone these are the adjectives he uses, so take that for what you will). I've tried dialing in more lows (100hz/200hz) and cutting highs (3.2khz/6.4khz) on the GE-7, adding more lows on the amps EQ, and raise the resonance/lowering the presence and he still bitches about it. This only seems to be a problem at high volumes like what I mentioned above.

I'll also say that at higher volumes it doesn't sound quite as "ballsy" as I remember my 5150 sounding. The only thing I can think of (other than not enough headroom) is it could be a bad tube - the road back to my drummers house, once you get off the interstate is either a gravel road, or a 12 foot wide rumble strip (fvck the local highway department), and I could hear the filaments of the tubes vibrating pretty violently (obviously making me cringe the whole way back).

Any words of wisdom from someone more experienced?

only 2 brands of amp there. The HRD and unused bass amp are both Fender ;)

7. Jaxcharvel

What setting are you using on the OCD?

8. NinjaRaf

NinjaRaf SS.org Regular

I find these amps to be squealy at high volumes without a gate. I hate to have a gate. Boosting just adds to that issue. No issues with volume, though. I usually run the post gain at about 3-5 for practice.

9. broj15

broj15 SS.org Regular

I hate to use a gate as well. A big part of what we do relies on noise/feedback, but I need to be able to control it by cutting it off when I mute the strings or play, but at the same time I need it to be instantaneous when I want it.

Volume: 9/10
    Drive: 1/10
    Tone:5/10
    Switch clicked to HP

I'm also using an 18v adapter instead of 9v, though I've done that since I've had the pedal.

Me and my bassist talked about it again last night and he says he doesn't think it's a volume issue, but a note definition issue (especially in the high end), which I think means I should use less gain and more mids, and perhaps look into a lower output pickup (currently using an SD SH5 with a huge ceramic bar magnet). I'll mess with it a little more when i get a chance to this weekend and update this thread later.

10. NinjaRaf

NinjaRaf SS.org Regular

haha Whoops!! That was supposed to be "have to have a gate" I cant live without one haha.

11. Jaxcharvel

Yeah, I've never had any luck using a boost without a gate. Even if it isn't set to add any gain it'll still add quite a bit of noise that'll cause massive feedback. Just put a gate at the end of your chain before going into the preamp.

12. FILTHnFEAR

FILTHnFEAR Infidel

A gate on a hi-gain amp, especially when using a boost and eq pedals, is mandatory, imo. Gotta have a gate. I forgot my Decimator at home the other day when I went to my buddies to jam. It annoyed the .... outta me the entire night.

If you need to have feedback at certain times, just click it off. I do it all the time.

13. broj15

broj15 SS.org Regular

Long time, no bump. Just thought I'd update the thread to let everyone know what's up.

So I finally got a chance to mess around with the rig again the other night and test out a theory and I think I've found a solution.

I've decided that running both amps at the same time (HRD on the clean channel for note definition and the 6505 on the red channel boosted with the OCD for the grind/aggression) is the way to go. Whenever I need a relatively clean tone (we don't play totally clean too often) I just click off the OCD and the RED channel gets quiet enough to still add some depth and dirt to the overall sound, but without being super in your face, and when I need some dirt and feedback I just turn it back on. I didn't get a chance to get my EQ exactly how I like it, but I feel like I'm in the ballpark, and with a little more tweaking later tonight I think it will sound pretty great.

Thanks to everyone who's offered advice in this thread.

14. noob_pwn

noob_pwn SS.org Regular

you could also try using a wet/dry setup with the fender for the wet at peavey for dry.