New Recording set-up!

Discussion in 'Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming' started by cwhitey2, Sep 2, 2010.

1. cwhitey2

cwhitey2 BlackendCrust Metal™

I was planning on getting my new computer last month, but funds were tight so I'm getting one this month. I'm stuck between a dual core or a quad core. Will the cores actually matter? I will be running Reaper with SD 2.0 and an amp sim. That's about all for the process, i just don't want ANY lag.

So should i get a Dual core with like 6gb of RAM

or

Should i get a Quad core with like 3 or 4gb of RAM

or

If i find the random Tri core floating around should i buy one of those with RAM in between

????

Any and all opinions are welcome.

2. cwhitey2

really no one had anything to say?

3. synrgy

synrgy Ya ya ya I am Lorde

In terms of audio software, it shouldn't matter. (There are video games like Starcraft 2 that only take advantage of 2 cores specifically, but I can't think of any audio apps that operate in such a way..)

That said, what operating system are you planning on running? XP? Vista? 7?

4. asmegin_slayer

asmegin_slayer cali-cornia bluffer

For audio recording, two cores should be more then enough. It's when you get into video, THEN the quads would matter!

5. cwhitey2

i was planning on running 7

would 4 gigs of ram be enough?

cause my old system had 1.6gig cpu and 1gig ram and i would dedicate most of the power to the audio software and it would lag bad and to sound was wretched

6. cwhitey2

Oh and is it mandatory that I have a sound card or would an integrated one be good enough?

7. synrgy

4 gigs should be more than enough. I still use XP Pro ("if it ain't broke, don't fix it..") and XP only supports 3GB RAM max, so that's what I have installed. (Well, technically one of my machines has 4GB in it, but the extra 1GB isn't in use at all.)

I can run tons of audio channels and VST/MIDI channels simultaneously with no problems whatsoever, so I would imagine that 4 gigs on a Win7 machine would do the job just fine.

Of course, once you get set up you'll want to run msconfig and get rid of any useless proprietary 'services' or programs that run in the background and/or taskbar. :yesway:

8. synrgy

Integrated = Massive Fail about 99.9% of the time. They just aren't intended for the intensive use a DAW program throws at them.

You want an audio card or audio interface that has it's own dedicated memory. There are plenty of very good yet surprisingly cheap ones out there. I have an M-Audio Audiophile 192 (has on-board 128MB RAM) that I bought for about $125 in 2005. It's great.

9. cwhitey2

:yesway: Sweet thanks i will deff buy a machine with an actual sound card now, i think thats why mine would make weird noises and lag out.

10. synrgy

Now that I think about it, you may be able to do okay with your existing comp simply by installing a nice graphics card.. It's a surprising chunk of the battle. :yesway:

11. cwhitey2

One more question. Say i buy a machine with an integrated sound card can i add an aftermarket sound card to it?

12. synrgy

Depends on the machine you buy and what empty expansion slots it offers. Also, it doesn't necessarily have to be a sound card, but could be an audio interface that runs via USB or Firewire.

I actually have both, and I personally prefer the internal sound card, but that's me. Mine is a PCI card, and my machine(s) have always had an empty PCI slot where I can plug it in. That said, PCI is starting to go away in favor of PCI Express and it's various upgrades (PCIe x16, PCIe 2.0, etc). Point is, try to find out what expansion slots you will have available in the machine you're purchasing, and that will give you an idea of what your internal sound card options may be.

13. cwhitey2

it has one extra slot, i was planning on buying a barebones system and just modding it

14. synrgy

Just make sure the card you purchase is made for the slot your motherboard has available. IE -- You can't plug a PCI card into a PCIe slot. :yesway:

15. cwhitey2

ok good thing you told me that :metal: